Windows 10: Start Menu layout modification using LayoutModification xml-file changes to default after...

Discus and support Start Menu layout modification using LayoutModification xml-file changes to default after... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; We have a default LayoutModification xml-file applied on all our computers. Since 1809, one can change the startlayout, but all changes are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MicroIT, Dec 19, 2018.

1. MicroIT Win User

Start Menu layout modification using LayoutModification xml-file changes to default after...

We have a default LayoutModification xml-file applied on all our computers.

Since 1809, one can change the startlayout, but all changes are overwritten after a reboot is performed.

It worked fine before on 1803.

Is there a solution for this?

***Original title: Default Windows 10 1809 Startlayout gets reapplied after every reboot***

:)

MicroIT, Dec 19, 2018
  2. d88david Win User

Adding OneDrive tile to start menu .xml with GPO

Hi Yasir,

Thank you for getting back to me but I have seen that suggestion which will not work for me. That steps suggested to do it manually which I'm trying to pin it to the start layout tile using .xml file via GPO. Below is the path where the OneDrive shortcut
    that I'm trying to pin to the start layout tile.

<startStart Menu layout modification using LayoutModification xml-file changes to default after... :DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\OneDrive.lnk" />

d88david, Dec 19, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Start Menu Layout

Hello there I hope someone can help me out.

I'm in charge of setting a default Start Menu Layout for users that log in locally or through a domain. I currently know how to deploy the .xml file through group policy both locally and through AD. My problem is the following. In our environment we want
    to set up a standard Start Menu Layout but we also want to allow our users to make changes to their start menu. Meaning that not only can they add new apps to their start menu but they can also drag or remove those apps we have set as standard apps through
    group policy.

I'm aware that when you export the .xml file it is set to Lock mode unless you make the following change to allow users to add their apps (Partial Lock Mode).

<DefaultLayoutOverride LayoutCustomizationRestrictionType="OnlySpecifiedGroups">

Now for our organization this is still not enough. Is their another option to that of "OnlySpecifiiedGroups" ? So like that users will be able to move or change the already "Locked" preset apps.

Thank you in advance.

Jorge L Contreras, Dec 19, 2018
  4. Kem Mon Win User

Start Menu layout modification using LayoutModification xml-file changes to default after...

Keyboard layout switches to non-default layout/language after resume from sleep

Hi,

You can try these steps on changing your keyboard layout:

• On the
      Start
      menu, click
      Settings

• Select
      Time & language

• Click
      Region & language

• Select
      Add a language

• Under
      Languages, click the language you want as a default and click
      Set as default.

NOTE: In changing your keyboard layout, you can also try changing your computer's primary language.
    Your keyboard layout may also change in doing so. However, make sure to use the right keyboard layout for
    entering your password. You might not be able to sign in since the layout has been change.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Dec 19, 2018
Thema:

1. Start Menu layout modification using LayoutModification xml-file changes to default after... - Similar Threads - Start Menu layout

2. Start menu layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu layout: Hey guys!I recently installed Windows 11 on my computer with a fresh install. I've had it on my secondary computer since beta. On my new install I have no option under personalization for start menu layout. Is this only in the beta builds currently or should it be in the main...
  3. Start menu layout

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu layout: Hey guys!I recently installed Windows 11 on my computer with a fresh install. I've had it on my secondary computer since beta. On my new install I have no option under personalization for start menu layout. Is this only in the beta builds currently or should it be in the main...
  4. Start Menu Modifications Event Logs?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Modifications Event Logs?: Hello, I would like to retrieve logs for modifications to the start menu tiles changing names of categories, moving apps in event viewer. Is this possible? Thanks....
  5. Start Menu layout modification turns to default after restart

Start Menu layout modification turns to default after restart: Our company uses a default LayoutModification xml-file on all our computers. However only one of the computers has changed the startlayout after Windows 10 , v.1809 update. But the changes were overwritten after a reboot. So Start Menu layout modification turns to default...
  6. Resetting start page menu layout to default in Win 10.

Resetting start page menu layout to default in Win 10.: Hi.....somehow I lost my original start page menu layout. I can access everything as before, but the layout is different and I have to click on more buttons etc. Is there a way I can get the original layout without doing a computer restore and having to 'customize' things...
  7. Start menu layout

Start menu layout: Is there a way to reset the start menu layout? Like when you start a new user? I'm using windows 10 version 1803. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/start-menu-layout/a51f03a8-cc0c-4d8f-82df-8c2de79651a1
  8. CopyProfile XML for Start layout

CopyProfile XML for Start layout: Has anyone managed to get customize the start menu and then copying that customization in the default user by using the CopyProfile method? Link: Start layout for Windows 10 desktop editions - Windows 10 hardware dev Moreover, has anyone successfully deployed this via SCCM...
  9. How to reset the Start menu to default settings/layout?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to reset the Start menu to default settings/layout?: Hello, I somehow managed to add shortcut to my Start menu leading nowhere and it messed up the whole thing. It closes itself nearly instantly and any interaction causes explorer.exe to crash. So is there a folder with *.lnk files, or xml with the Start menu...
  10. Start Menu Layout will not save the changes

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Layout will not save the changes: I just did a clean installed of Windows 10 (1709) and as I recall, this happened to me a while back as well when the Start Menu Layout will not save the changes. So when I Unpin all the apps from the Start Layout, it will not save the settings even after all the updates and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. layoutmodification.xml start menu tile backgorund colour

2. can I set LayoutCustomizationRestrictionType to none?

3. LayoutModification 1903

4. how can I remove a layoutmodification.xml,
  5. how to change start menu layout to default xml,
  6. layoutmodification.xm copy 1809