Windows 10: Start menu no longer works due to dimwitted permissions tampering

Discus and support Start menu no longer works due to dimwitted permissions tampering in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've spent the better part of a couple of hours trying to set up the permissions of a second, guest account such that it cannot browse or interact with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by audreyglyph, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Start menu no longer works due to dimwitted permissions tampering

I've spent the better part of a couple of hours trying to set up the permissions of a second, guest account such that it cannot browse or interact with ANY files on ANY drive, but can still run programs and video games. I utterly failed at this task because I assumed I knew more about how permissions work in Windows 10 than I apparently do.

In this process, at some point, I changed the permissions on my boot drive in such a way that the Windows 10 Start Menu no longer opens. Nothing else has revealed itself to be broken thus far except for the start menu. I click it, the cursor changes briefly to indicate that it is busy, and then nothing happens. Restarting did not fix it.

How can I possibly fix this?

Windows 10 Pro
    Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.535)

Start menu no longer works due to dimwitted permissions tampering [​IMG]

Here is a screenshot of the current permissions for the boot drive, which were inherited by all objects contained therein.

:)

audreyglyph, Jan 6, 2020

2. Start menu no longer works

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I am sorry to know that the Start menu is not working.

Initially, I suggest you to run Windows Update troubleshooter to fix the problem.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows + X and select
      Control panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter,
      and then click Troubleshooting.
    Under System and Security, click Fix problems with Windows Updates.

Please refer to the suggestions given by Sharath Srinivasa replied on January 23, 2015 in the link given below.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_search/start-menu-doesnt-appear/a7c56613-277c-4993-bb74-08650dce7b21.

I Hope this information helps. Please post us if you need any help with Windows.

SuvarnaG1709, Jan 6, 2020
  3. Start menu stopped working in Windows 10

I installed Windows 10 last weekend. Everything was fine until this morning when the icon for the start menu stop working. I should say a left click on the icon no longer works so I don't see all my apps etc..... I can still left right click and get windows
    utilities and such.

I've read through some of the suggested solutions and tried some but nothing has worked. Does anyone have a definitive solution yet ? Any help would be appreciated

please i have the same problem right now....and i have try to use the steps as listed...but is requesting for administrator permission or privilege

Promise0nyekachi, Jan 6, 2020
  4. Start menu no longer works due to dimwitted permissions tampering

Start menu not working

I found the following article, ran the suggested powershell command and my start menu is working again. Here it is as I found it:
    Go to Start menu button and right click on it. This will open the contextual menu, after which you need to select Command Prompt (Admin). Once Command Prompt is open, go ahead with the following steps.

• Type and enter: Powershell
    • Type the following: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Don Donadio, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

Start menu no longer works due to dimwitted permissions tampering

1. Start menu no longer works due to dimwitted permissions tampering - Similar Threads - Start menu longer

2. `dnscache` cannot be started due to inappropriate permission

in Windows 10 Gaming
    `dnscache` cannot be started due to inappropriate permission: Hi there!I recently invested in a paid-for VPN service on my windows 10 machine.However, when I try to start it, it says "cannot get dns server, contact support" , which is what I did.They said that the `dnscache` service might be disabled, and to re-enable it using...
  3. `dnscache` cannot be started due to inappropriate permission

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    `dnscache` cannot be started due to inappropriate permission: Hi there!I recently invested in a paid-for VPN service on my windows 10 machine.However, when I try to start it, it says "cannot get dns server, contact support" , which is what I did.They said that the `dnscache` service might be disabled, and to re-enable it using...
  4. `dnscache` cannot be started due to inappropriate permission

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Start Menu no longer working 20H2

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu no longer working 20H2: I updated my windows 10 Pro to version 20H2 this morning and now my start menu is no longer working. I have tried other accounts on the PC and they appear to be working fine, so it's just affecting my main account. Anyone experienced this or have a fix? Many thanks 169078
  6. Settings button no longer working from start menu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Settings button no longer working from start menu: After a recent update, the settings button no longer working, Bluetooth button no longer working. Can only add a device through the control panel....
  7. Start menu and Edge no longer work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu and Edge no longer work: I initially installed KB4517389 without a problem. However, I coincidentally experienced problem with a Personal Cloud that I suspected could be due to the update and I uninstalled the update. The server problem turned out to be drive failure, and I reinstalled the update but...
  8. Permissions error on Start Menu folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permissions error on Start Menu folder: I cannot seem to install any programs that create shortcuts in the Start Menu folder. I get a permissions error as seen here: https://i.imgur.com/ypiTfeq.png [img] I have checked the Security tab on the start menu folder itself and all users already have full control...
  9. Start menu power button no longer working - 14905.1000

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu power button no longer working - 14905.1000: Hello Gang, One laptop I have on the IP fast build, now on 14905.1000 has this issue. Click start, then click power, and blink, the start menu just closes, no options given for shutdown. The options above for settings and file explorer work just fine, left or right...
  10. Start menu no longer works

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu no longer works: My Win10 Start menu no longer works with my main user account. It still works under other user logins. It doesn't open whether I hit the Windows key or if I click the Start button. Any clues? 17088