Windows 10: Start menu no longer works

Discus and support Start menu no longer works in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Win10 Start menu no longer works with my main user account. It still works under other user logins. It doesn't open whether I hit the Windows key... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by meh, Aug 16, 2015.

1. MEH
    meh Win User

Start menu no longer works

My Win10 Start menu no longer works with my main user account. It still works under other user logins.

It doesn't open whether I hit the Windows key or if I click the Start button.

Any clues?

:)

2. Start menu no longer works

I have tried everything recommended and I still am not able to access - the start menu -search - Cortina and the notification window. I have tried every recommendation in the help forums and nothing works!

MikeBettin, Aug 16, 2015
  3. Start menu no longer works

Windows 10. After about a month of use, my start menu no longer works – I get a “Critical Error Log off now” message and I can’t do anything but reboot. All solutions I have seen
    so far require access to the start menu - a vicious circle. Also the notifications icon will not open. All other programs seem to function OK. Any help gratefully appreciated.

MikeBettin, Aug 16, 2015
  4. Start menu no longer works

I would start by running sfc /scannow. Of, if other accounts are working fine, create a new account, copy your profile over to it (or just reconfigure it from scratch), and delete your old account.

MaximRecoil, Aug 16, 2015
  5. MEH
    meh Win User
    Thanks. I've done "sfc /scannow" about 10x and also dism and both come clean. I'm going back to Win8.1. Can't take this crap anymore.

6. Bazz Win User
    Create a new user account and see if it works if so move your files over, this seems to be the fix for this issue, there are many posts on this forum about it.

7. MEH
    meh Win User
    I've seen this advice offered for several of the problems I've been having with Win10. Yeah, sure, I'll just create a new user account and move my files over. Then, I'll do it again the next time I have an issue (most likely later today). Then, I'll do a Win10 refresh to fix another issue. Then, I'll do a clean Win10 install for another issue.

I'm already back on Win8.1 and I think my sanity will slowly start coming back. If I can get it to stop nagging me about Windows 0 (my new name for "Windows 10").

Thema:

Start menu no longer works

1. Start menu no longer works - Similar Threads - Start menu longer

2. Start Menu no longer working 20H2

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu no longer working 20H2: I updated my windows 10 Pro to version 20H2 this morning and now my start menu is no longer working. I have tried other accounts on the PC and they appear to be working fine, so it's just affecting my main account. Anyone experienced this or have a fix? Many thanks 169078
  3. Settings button no longer working from start menu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Settings button no longer working from start menu: After a recent update, the settings button no longer working, Bluetooth button no longer working. Can only add a device through the control panel....
  4. start menu not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    start menu not working: On window updation on 2/2/2020 the start menu and microsoft edge not working. Try to fix using trobleshoot and other ways. please suggest the method for rectification or send patch file for it...
  5. Start menu no longer works due to dimwitted permissions tampering

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu no longer works due to dimwitted permissions tampering: I've spent the better part of a couple of hours trying to set up the permissions of a second, guest account such that it cannot browse or interact with ANY files on ANY drive, but can still run programs and video games. I utterly failed at this task because I assumed I knew...
  6. Start menu and Edge no longer work

Start menu and Edge no longer work: I initially installed KB4517389 without a problem. However, I coincidentally experienced problem with a Personal Cloud that I suspected could be due to the update and I uninstalled the update. The server problem turned out to be drive failure, and I reinstalled the update but...
  7. Start menu not working

Start menu not working: Start menu isn't working on my new GF62Vr 7rf, it shows the blue loading icon for half a second but nothing opens, I've tried so many solutions. Also it's an msi laptop....
  8. Start menu power button no longer working - 14905.1000

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu power button no longer working - 14905.1000: Hello Gang, One laptop I have on the IP fast build, now on 14905.1000 has this issue. Click start, then click power, and blink, the start menu just closes, no options given for shutdown. The options above for settings and file explorer work just fine, left or right...
  9. Start Menu Not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Not Working: Hey all, so i've been struggling for the last few hours after a re-install of windows 10 - I had been encoutnering issues with another application so I decided to just blow my OS and start from scratch. I had been running on that OS for 5 months without any issue. So I...
  10. Start no longer working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start no longer working: I have had Win 10 installed and working well until this past week, when the Start button on my keyboard and the on screen icon no longer work. The screen icon will turn dark yellow with either touch or pen, but it does not open. I can right click it and get to that menu, but...