Windows 10: Start Menu Not Opening cannot get to Control panel or even Shut Down!!

Discus and support Start Menu Not Opening cannot get to Control panel or even Shut Down!! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since the latest 'Update' a little while ago, I cannot open the Start Menu or get to the Control Panel or even Shut the PC down and I've also lost all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cyberdesigner, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Start Menu Not Opening cannot get to Control panel or even Shut Down!!

Since the latest 'Update' a little while ago, I cannot open the Start Menu or get to the Control Panel or even Shut the PC down and I've also lost all the Sound.

Has anyone else had these Problems?

Just before it all went wrong (Again!) I saw a flag about an 'Immersive Control Panel' which sounds like it could be the Problem?

:)

Cyberdesigner, Jan 13, 2016

2. Windows 10 keeps shutting down my open programs

Win10 forced shut down:

Hi Deepika

I tried doing what was mentioned in response to Michelle's question. Since I upgraded to Win10 I have a problem in that I cannot access my control panel no matter which way, even in safe mode. The moment I open Control Panel, the shut down execution is activated
    and within 3 seconds it shuts down. I also experience an icon "dip" very much the same as when you start Chrome, but this happens automatically every 60 seconds or so. I cannot seem to resolve this problem. Help!!!!

JiteshNaidoo, Jan 13, 2016
  3. Cher O Win User
    Windows 10 update

I just had the auto update for windows 10 on my hp laptop. When it went to start up all is does is flash on and off. Cannot even get to click for control panel or even to shut down. Help

Cher O, Jan 13, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Start Menu Not Opening cannot get to Control panel or even Shut Down!!

Hi, fortunately I've had no problems with the smaller updates.
    Fixing that range of problems sounds as if you'll need either to:

a. restore your most recent disk image (Do you use disk imaging? If you don't, you need to to preserve the state of your PC and restore it, and your sanity). (Aomei Backupper or Macrium Reflect - free + external storage medium + their boot CD/USB drive).
    - full backup
    - restore your PC to how it was in a defined time << an in-place upgrade (option b)
    - replace your HDD (larger, broken, faster..)

or
    b. in place upgrade install (which allows you to keep everything bar subsequent windows updates).
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    - it also leaves System Restore off, might break 1 or 2 associations, and might need you to set up WiFi again
    - needs Win 10 iso/install medium

You could try system restore, of course, if you have it enabled, and any useful restore points.

dalchina, Jan 15, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    I'd suggestion you reinstall Windows 10.................................
    If you do not have the current Win 10 10586 ISO saved in your computer, use one of the following links and download the ISO file.:

Media Creation Tool
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Tech Bench
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench

If you already have one, right click at the iso file > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
    That will begin installing Windows 10.
    You have the choice of keeping settings, files and apps, or keeping nothing.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic.

davidhk, Jan 15, 2016
  6. Hi I'm thinking of going back to Windows 7 or XP

Everytime the thing goes wrong, I have to resort to that anyway to keep my Websites updated, it worked great when it first came out but as soon as they started updating it, its never been the same.

Cyberdesigner, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start Menu Not Opening cannot get to Control panel or even Shut Down!!

1. Start Menu Not Opening cannot get to Control panel or even Shut Down!! - Similar Threads - Start Menu Opening

2. Cannot open control panel from windows 11 Start->Search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot open control panel from windows 11 Start->Search: Suddenly Windows search from the start menu will not open control panel. It finds it but when I click, nothing happens...control panel does not open.Now, I know how to get to control panel and I've pinned it to the taskbar but it's strange that clicking it in the search box...
  3. at start I get old Control Panel panel

in Windows 10 Customization
    at start I get old Control Panel panel: Somehow, recently I'm getting the old Windows Control Panel window when I click on Settings, not the regular Windows 10 window. I didn't knowingly make a switch, but how do I get the standard Settings back?...
  4. at start I get old Control Panel panel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    at start I get old Control Panel panel: Somehow, recently I'm getting the old Windows Control Panel window when I click on Settings, not the regular Windows 10 window. I didn't knowingly make a switch, but how do I get the standard Settings back?...
  5. at start I get old Control Panel panel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Control Panel is not in Windows 10 Start Menu

Control Panel is not in Windows 10 Start Menu: In Windows 10, I press Start button on keyboard. Then, I type "Control Panel" . Control Panel does not appear as a selection. Instead, after typing "Control", Settings pops up as an option. After typing the entire "Control Panel", Intel Graphics Control Panel appears....
  7. Can't open control panel items from start menu

Can't open control panel items from start menu: I just did a fresh reinstall of Windows 10, and now I can't open things from the control panel from my start menu. Things like Device Manager and Disk Management will only open through my control panel. I get the following error message when I type one of the applications...
  8. Enabling the Control Panel's View Drop-down Menu

Enabling the Control Panel's View Drop-down Menu: Customer Support: Hi. Just a minor formatting question, related to my Windows 10 control panel. My control panel home page directory is currently set on "View by Category." I opened the Panel's View drop-down menu, hoping I could change the directory setting to List or...
  9. Cannot Open Items In Control Panel

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Open Items In Control Panel: good day i just installed win 10 fall update and have run into one issue which is i cannot open most items in the control panel, rightclick on pc and clicking properties does not open the properties page, had to fix gpedit. i am assuming all of this in interrelated since i'm...
  10. Control panel starts up but shuts down within a few seconds

in Windows 10 Support
    Control panel starts up but shuts down within a few seconds: This is my son’s Windows 10 computer: HP ProBook 6560b Win10 Pro (x64) laptop It updated to CU Version 1703 (build 15063.413) today 6/30/17 It was on Version 1607 (OS build 14393.1198) and ran excellently. However on the CU Version 1703 (build 15063.413), the control panel...