Windows 10: Start Menu not showing search results for documents

Discus and support Start Menu not showing search results for documents in Cortana to solve the problem; Whenever I search for a document using the Start Menu, there are no search results. Apps show up fine. If I actually go into Explorer and search in a... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Milan Vidovic, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Start Menu not showing search results for documents

Whenever I search for a document using the Start Menu, there are no search results. Apps show up fine. If I actually go into Explorer and search in a storage device's directory, it will show. But just never in the Start Menu. It's really irritating.

Why is this? I rebuilt my Indexing. It took some time and it completed. I searched online and put in a few PowerShell commands. I deleted a registry entry, also. Apparently that helps. It was:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Explorer\FolderTypes\ {ef87b4cb-f2ce-4785-8658-4ca6c63e38c6}\TopViews\ {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}.

I restarted my system. Still didn't resolve the issue. Is there a surefire fix for this? I've seen many people having the same thing in search results. Unfortunately they had more luck than I have.

:)

Milan Vidovic, Jul 26, 2019
  2. Remonator Win User

Certain apps don't show in search results

Some of my applications don't show in search results when I search for them.

E.g. Visual Studio, it shows only a local directory named "Visual Studio 2017" but it doensn't show the application itself.

Some other applications are listed as wrong version (already uninstalled), and some others dont't show at all (e.g. Putty)

I've already rebuilt the index and ran sfc /scannow several times, and got shortcuts for the apps in both

• %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    and

• %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

I'm running Windows 10 Pro Version 1607 (Build 14393.1358)

Any suggestions?

Remonator, Jul 26, 2019
  3. YD Cui Win User
    Start menu Search can't click on search results leading to Settings pages + Settings search results not loading

After I installed the Creator's Update (Version 1703, OS Build 15063.296), I found some results in start menu search being not clickable (i.e., no repsonse when clicking on them) while other results being fine.

I tried everything I could find by google:

• Restart Cortana through task manager
    • Restart WSearch service through services.msc
    • Rebuild windows search index
    • Reinstall/Re-register windows apps through Dism.exe
    • Modify windows registry

Nothing workable.

However, when logged in with another account, I found the start menu search working fine.

Then I read this article (http://www.urtech.ca/2016/08/solved-video-how-to-hard-reset-or-remove-cortana-in-windows-10/) and follow his steps 1-3:

• Create a new administrator on your Window 10 and sign in as that user
    • Delete (or rename) C:\Users\<PROBLEM USER>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy
    • Sign back in as the PROBLEM USER
    • Open PowerShell as an admin and type (or paste)

Add-AppxPackage -Path “C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\Appxmanifest.xml” -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register
    I didn't walk through all 4 steps, cause when I logged in with the "PROBLEM USER" I found everthing was okay.

I guess the start menu search (or cortana search) works as following procedures:

• Build a private database, including start menu programs, control panel items, etc.
    • When users try to search something, it starts from the private database
    • Then it shows the results queried from WSearch databases
    Hence, if something wrong with the items in its private database, the result is not clickable. Clear its private database will fix the problems.

YD Cui, Jul 26, 2019
  4. Start Menu not showing search results for documents

Start menu Search can't click on search results leading to Settings pages + Settings search results not loading

Thanks a lot, I've been experiencing this issue for a long time and it was driving me crazy!

The only point is, I didn't do step 4 because after I logged back to my user account the problem was solved.

It seems that deleting the Cortana folder triggers some kind of reindexing job which solves this issue.

I hope Microsoft comes up with a built-in solution for this scenario that allows users to call the reindex operation for Cortana. or at least they can make this as part of the troubleshooting options.

Once again thanks, you've made my day.

X_Stargate_X, Jul 26, 2019
Thema:

Start Menu not showing search results for documents

1. Start Menu not showing search results for documents - Similar Threads - Start Menu showing

2. Programs in Start menu not listed in search results

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programs in Start menu not listed in search results: I just upgraded to Windows 10 and I'm still trying to get used to everything that's changed since 7. I'm used to being able to just hit the Windows key on my keyboard to bring up the Start menu, start typing the name of a program that I know has a shortcut in the start menu,...
  3. Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search

in Cortana
    Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search: Hi; on some Windows 10 installations (and indeed, even on my other user account), I get web search results when I press the Start key on my keyboard and then type into the search box. For example, "32 F in C" will yield 0° C. This isn't happening on one of my accounts. As...
  4. App icons missing in start menu search results

in Cortana
    App icons missing in start menu search results: Hi there, I hope you're having a great weekend :-) I am having a problem with the app icons in the search results of my windows start menu. The icons won't show up. Instead, it displays the same placeholder for all apps. Let the attached GIF animation speak for itself....
  5. Strange white Blank Search result (start menu)

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange white Blank Search result (start menu): Strange white Blank Search result (start menu) Hi all, when i push the win button and type to search for an app or anything i get this result. i have restarted explorer.exe and completed these steps here: Cortana not finding Desktop apps when searching for them -...
  6. Start button search results now show context menu items

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button search results now show context menu items: If I do a search for a file or program from Start it now shows a second screen with items similar to right clicking on the results. Not sure how this got happened. Is there a way to restore it to old? [img] 117796
  7. Broken(unclickable) App Search Result in Start Menu.

in Windows 10 Support
    Broken(unclickable) App Search Result in Start Menu.: I have GeForce Experience installed and working perfectly. However, when I try to navigate to it through the windows app search, an unknown file is shown which does not respond to either left or right click. Screenshot attached. How can I find where the file shown in...
  8. Can't pin anything to start menu? and start menu search results?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't pin anything to start menu? and start menu search results?: Either the Windows 10 start menu really sucks or I am using it wrong. I am used to the StartisBack/Windows 7 menu where you can pin anything and all applications will come up in search results. In the Windows 10 menu, I can't pin anything to the start menu that's not already...
  9. Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Displaying Results

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start Menu Search Not Displaying Results: When I go to search something like "photoshop" Adobe Photoshop CC should pop up. But I only get results from searching on Bing and not from searching the computer locally. 17229
  10. Search not showing results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search not showing results: Hi. Anyone know how to fix the search function in Windows 10? It's not showing any results. So far I already tried the following but to no avail. Rebuild indexing, scannow cmd, chdsk /r,. 10886