Windows 10: Start menu not working after last update

Discus and support Start menu not working after last update in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 and after the last forced update I cannot access my start menu. The key at the bottom left of my screen does nothing when clicked,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by HannahShuker, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Start menu not working after last update

I have Windows 10 and after the last forced update I cannot access my start menu. The key at the bottom left of my screen does nothing when clicked, quick access on my keyboard also gets no response.

I have run several cleanup tasks including an sfc through powershell and entered the image restore command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as it is very frustrating having to open programs through win explorer and finding them in program files. This has gone on for a week now with no fixes working to restore the menu. Yes I have restarted many times and opened troubleshooting mode. Please don't tell me to try switching it off and on again.

:)

HannahShuker, Oct 9, 2020
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Start menu and taskbar not working.

Hi Deva,

Thank you for updating.

I suggest you to refer the link below and follow the troubleshooting steps suggested.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Hope the Start menu works after performing the steps suggested. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Oct 9, 2020
  3. Start menu not working

I found the following article, ran the suggested powershell command and my start menu is working again. Here it is as I found it:
    Go to Start menu button and right click on it. This will open the contextual menu, after which you need to select Command Prompt (Admin). Once Command Prompt is open, go ahead with the following steps.

• Type and enter: Powershell
    • Type the following: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Don Donadio, Oct 9, 2020
  4. Darshan J Win User

Start menu not working after last update

Start menu not working

Hello Barry,

Please help us with the below information to help you better.

• Have you installed all the pending updates on your system?
    • Did you make any recent software/hardware changes to your computer?

As an initial troubleshooting step I would suggest you to install all the pending updates on your system and if you are using Microsoft account suggest you to sign out and sign in again and check if resolves the issue.

I suggest you to perform Start menu troubleshooter
    from the below article and check if it help in addressing your issue.

Get help with the Windows 10 Start menu:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Darshan J, Oct 9, 2020
Thema:

Start menu not working after last update

1. Start menu not working after last update - Similar Threads - Start menu working

2. Windows Start Menu and settings not working after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Start Menu and settings not working after update: So yesterday after a BSOD error my pc restarted and it aumatically updated, the problem is my settings and start up menu seem to have been deleted. How can I fix this issue without having to delete everything from my computer? I'd like to keep files and installed applications...
  3. after last update my start menu won't work

in Windows 10 Customization
    after last update my start menu won't work: please advise on start menu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-last-update-my-start-menu-wont-work/9cc0d3f5-94cf-4be7-9243-510d05d6df43
  4. after last update my start menu won't work

after last update my start menu won't work: please advise on start menu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-last-update-my-start-menu-wont-work/9cc0d3f5-94cf-4be7-9243-510d05d6df43
  5. after last update nothing works start button or others

after last update nothing works start button or others: after last update nothing workscant get into start or app optionsany one how to fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-last-update-nothing-works-start-button-or/6b7cfa4d-283b-4142-943d-28b4c75f4446
  6. Start menu not working after Windows update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu not working after Windows update: Okay, I know this issue has existed already but my Start menu stopped working after last night's update. My apps for work (Slack, Zoom) and Chrome are fine but I couldn't view the volume icons as well and everything in the task bar. I also got an error message when I attempt...
  7. Windows 10 start menu stopped working after last update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 start menu stopped working after last update: I lost the windows 10 start menu altogether, if I press the windows menu or I click on the icon, nothing happens. Not even the taskbar activates. I've scrolled through dozens of blogs and videos trying every trick and nothing works. It was a "November 10, 2020—KB4586781 (OS...
  8. Start menu not working after installing windows update.

Start menu not working after installing windows update.: Start menu button on the taskbar and the physical button on my keyboard became unresponsive after installing the Cumulative update for Windows 10 build 2004 - KB4579311 OS Build 19041.572. After pressing the start menu a button a loading icon appears and nothing happens. What...
  9. Start Up menu is not working after update

Start Up menu is not working after update: I tried updating to Windows 10 version 1903 and it wasn't successful. It said the error was "Potential Database error detected." The other day, my notebook wasn't able to shutdown properly because the battery got drained. I didn't know if it was updating or what but when I...
  10. Start Menu icons lost after last Windows Update

Start Menu icons lost after last Windows Update: Yesterday, I installed the latest Windows 10 updates. After that update, I have noticed that some of my Start Menu icons don't show up properly. These appear to mostly be the Office 365 icons. I rebooted my computer again today and these icons are still not showing up...