Windows 10: Start Menu Not Working After Reinstall

Discus and support Start Menu Not Working After Reinstall in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm trying to get my Surface Pro 6 working correctly after a reinstall of Windows 10. Edge browser does not function; it opens for about 3 seconds... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CarlLobitz, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Start Menu Not Working After Reinstall

I'm trying to get my Surface Pro 6 working correctly after a reinstall of Windows 10. Edge browser does not function; it opens for about 3 seconds then shuts down. Start menu button does not function; cannot reach settings at all.

I have tried the following steps: restart system multiple times, restart Windows Explorer, run system file scanner multiple times, run Windows Image DSM no errors found, register package. Created new user. Reinstalled Windows 10 twice.

Any help would be appreciated. This laptop is a brick now. 80% unusable for purpose.

:)

CarlLobitz, Jan 25, 2020

2. Start menu not working

I found the following article, ran the suggested powershell command and my start menu is working again. Here it is as I found it:
    Go to Start menu button and right click on it. This will open the contextual menu, after which you need to select Command Prompt (Admin). Once Command Prompt is open, go ahead with the following steps.

• Type and enter: Powershell
    • Type the following: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Don Donadio, Jan 25, 2020
  3. Start menu is not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Iunderstand the frustration if things are not working fine as expected.

Please help us with below details,

• When you say "If I sign in under my user name I am in some earlier version", which version you are referring to?

• Did you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?

• When you say “I cannot access the start menu and am limited to IP as a browser” Is it refers to Microsoft Edge?

As an initial steps, I suggest you to check for the Windows version. To do so, follow the below steps:

1) Login to your computer through user name on which it show earlier version of Windows.

2) Press Windows key + r.

3) Type winver, hit enter.

For the issue related to start menu, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article and check,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Reply with results and necessary information to help you further.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, Jan 25, 2020
  4. Pavan_N Win User

Start Menu Not Working After Reinstall

Start menu and taskbar not working.

Hi Deva,

Thank you for updating.

I suggest you to refer the link below and follow the troubleshooting steps suggested.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Hope the Start menu works after performing the steps suggested. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Jan 25, 2020
Thema:

Start Menu Not Working After Reinstall

1. Start Menu Not Working After Reinstall - Similar Threads - Start Menu Working

2. Start menu not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu not working: After my latest Windows 10 update, suddenly the start menu does not work. When I click on it, a window appears saying 'Critical Error--Your Start manu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in. It then has a button to click on to 'sign out now'. When I...
  3. Reinstalling Start menu for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling Start menu for Windows 10: I recently reinstalled Windows 10, then installed classic shell to get the start menu I used to have and that someone else had set up for me. I failed in my attempt to get things set up, but now the Windows start menu has disappeared and I can't even use that. Repeated...
  4. Start button not working after Windows reinstall

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start button not working after Windows reinstall: After a series of blue screen problems I have done a complete reinstall of Windows 10 on my Surface Pro. Cortana talked me through the installation, but when I finally got to the desktop the Start button is not working. Left click does nothing. Right click displays a list of...
  5. Start Menu is not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu is not working: When im using local admin account, start menu is working. if im using network account start menu is not working. laptop is joined in our domain. please help. 38528
  6. Start Menu is not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu is not working: Hey! I had been using the Windows 10 start menu since yesterday but now some hour ago it stopped completely working and I can't access my calendar, search bar or Cortana or click on anything on it. The only thing I can do is right click. I have tried to figure out how to...
  7. Start menu not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu not working: The Windows 10 start menu has stopped working. If I click on the Start button, nothing happens. I did a repair install and that corrected the problem for a few days. The problem has returned. No start menu. All updates have been installed. Does anyone have a fix for this? 4020
  8. Start Menu search not working after reinstall

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu search not working after reinstall: I performed a reinstall of Windows 10 build 10532. Since then, Start menu search shows no results. Attached a pic, showing DC++ pinned to start, but still not showing during search. Please help This is really frustrating 22902
  9. Start Menu is not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu is not working: (Sorry if this is in the wrong location. I couldn't post it to the bsod forums because it only wants bsod) I recently installed Windows 10. I had this problem where explore.exe kept restarting. My friend had this problem too. He told me to create a new user. So I did. He also...
  10. Start menu not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu not working: Why not try to use the inbuilt start menu troubleshooter or uninstall some third-party software if necessary in Control Panel?

Users found this page by searching for:

1. computer not working right after windows reistall