Windows 10: Start Menu Not Working and BSOD When Booting Up

Discus and support Start Menu Not Working and BSOD When Booting Up in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My ASUS laptop is only a few months old and has been working fine when a few days ago the Start Menu stopped working, as well as Cortana and File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Britomartus, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Start Menu Not Working and BSOD When Booting Up

My ASUS laptop is only a few months old and has been working fine when a few days ago the Start Menu stopped working, as well as Cortana and File Explorer disappeared. My attempts to fix the problem may have made it worse as now I’m getting a BSOD. I’ll try to provide as much relevant info as I can.

I ran SFC Scannow which did find a disc issue but said it had repaired it. This did not fix the problem and since then all repeats of the command does not find any errors. I googled the problem and found the following two suggestions.

1 - Download a Start Menu Diag tool from Microsoft. I did this and it encountered an unexpected error.

2 - From Admin Command Prompt type and enter: Powershell
    Type the following: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

I did this, got a lot of errors (which the article said would happen) but it did not fix the problem.

I tried to give up at this point and attempted to reset Windows to default but this failed with an unexpected error.

Around this time the BSOD started occurring every time I booted. It would recover and still does but when I next attempt to boot up, the BSOD happens again.

I found some errors in the event log regarding the User Profile Service - Windows cannot load classes registry file. DETAIL - The system cannot find the file specified.

A google search suggested I create a new User Account so I did. This partially fixed the issue. The Start Menu works on the nw account but there are only three tiles showing. Explorer works again as does Cortana but the BSOD still happens every time I reboot.

I tried deleting the original user account and although it has removed everything apart from the User folder, it will not remove the folder saying it is not empty even though it is. I also removed the second account I created and I’m currently running everything from Administrator.

I’ve checked Device Manager, there’s no error or warning signs against any of my device drivers.

As a final attempt, I tried to reset Windows again. It tries to work but the BSOD happens during the reboot stage so I’m out of ideas. It even crashed running the diagnostic tool to gather all the logs for you so I hope it got enough for you. I attach the zip file.

Thanks for your time.
    Mark

:)

Britomartus, Aug 3, 2016

2. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Aug 3, 2016
  3. Booting up problem 'Critical Error" Start Menu and Cortana aren't working, will try to fix it next time you sign in.

Each time I boot up the computer I get a message 'Critical Error"

Start Menu and Cortana aren't working, will try to fix it next time you sign in.

Sign in again and get access OK

This happens each time.

Original title: Booting up problem

RobinDutton, Aug 3, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Start Menu Not Working and BSOD When Booting Up

Hi Britomartus,

Welcome to the 10forums *Smile

Please check ASUS for BIOS updates.

Please remove either of the memory sticks, mixed memory may cause issues.

Please fill in your system specsPlease follow this tutorial and download the tool. The tool will give you detailed information about your system specs, please fill in your system specs more completely.How to fill in your system specs:

Start Menu Not Working and BSOD When Booting Up [​IMG]

Start Menu Not Working and BSOD When Booting Up [​IMG]

axe0, Aug 3, 2016
  5. Hi, thanks for the reply.

I've updated my profile with as much spec information as I could get. I have also attempted to update the BIOS. I'm at version 206 and the latest is 209 but every time I try to boot to access the advanced options and Bios settings I get a BSOD.

I'd like to avoid doing opening up the laptop if possible as it is still under warranty. If you are saying this is a faulty memory issue and can pull out a log to support this, I can use this and send the laptop back in for repair. I was just hoping it was a software issue I could fix myself.

Britomartus, Aug 4, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    So, when you try to go to the BIOS you get a BSOD? That is not a memory issue, but an issue for which you better use your warranty for replacement. I've never heard of such a problem before and the only thing I could think of that could cause this is a motherboard problem.

axe0, Aug 4, 2016
  7. I was about to do what you suggested when I managed to get it into safe mode. From there I tried the reset option which worked. I've reinstalled everything and been using it for about a week now and *fingers crossed* it seems OK.

Britomartus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Start Menu Not Working and BSOD When Booting Up

1. Start Menu Not Working and BSOD When Booting Up - Similar Threads - Start Menu Working

2. Start menu and taskbar not working on start-up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu and taskbar not working on start-up: Hi there,I have a problem with my pc.When i start up windows 10, i can log-in and i get to my desktop, but my start menu and taskbar still need to load in for 5-10 mins. Ive tried resetting the pc, getting a new one and using windows 11 bypass TPM 2.0 and secure boot on...
  3. Start menu and taskbar not working on start-up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu and taskbar not working on start-up: Hi there,I have a problem with my pc.When i start up windows 10, i can log-in and i get to my desktop, but my start menu and taskbar still need to load in for 5-10 mins. Ive tried resetting the pc, getting a new one and using windows 11 bypass TPM 2.0 and secure boot on...
  4. Start menu and taskbar not working on start-up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Booting stuck on start up menu screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting stuck on start up menu screen: Booting stuck on start up menu screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/booting-stuck-on-start-up-menu-screen/c6a0d6e0-5123-4c98-a28e-f3acab799afd
  6. Booting stuck on start up menu screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting stuck on start up menu screen: Booting stuck on start up menu screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/booting-stuck-on-start-up-menu-screen/c6a0d6e0-5123-4c98-a28e-f3acab799afd
  7. Booting stuck on start up menu screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Windows start menu gets jumbled up when booting (inconsistently) and other start menu issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows start menu gets jumbled up when booting (inconsistently) and other start menu issues: [ATTACH] Hey there Im on a brand new rig i built about 3 weeks ago and windows 10 started causing small issues, its not bothering me too much so its not a problem and it doesnt seem to affecting performance =-list of issues-= 1) The start menu is jumbled up when rebooting...
  9. Start up menu not working

in Cortana
    Start up menu not working: Recently when I tried to press the windows button on the bottom left corner of my screen, I got a pop up that said "critical error your startup menu is not working. Sign out and we will try to fix this issue". This is making it very hard to navigate all of my stuff and I need...
  10. Sometimes when booting Windows works slow and Start menu doesn't work?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sometimes when booting Windows works slow and Start menu doesn't work?: It happens rarely like maybe one time every 10-15 boots and it fixes if I restart the computer but it's getting pretty annoying. Basically sometimes when I boot windows is super laggy and clicking or mashing the start menu key doesn't work to open it submitted by...