Windows 10: Start Menu not working possible solution

Discus and support Start Menu not working possible solution in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have been fighting with the start menu and many of the windows apps not working after leaving the computer for a while. With some of the apps, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by BrianGman, May 13, 2019.

1. BrianGman Win User

Start Menu not working possible solution

I have been fighting with the start menu and many of the windows apps not working after leaving the computer for a while. With some of the apps, I could close them and restart. I am using a Laptop with two external monitors. I tried all the fixes I could find out there, but nothing resolved it. e.g. reloading all the apps via powershell, CC Cleaner, Start Menu Diagnostic Tool, deleted and readded my user account, reloaded and updated all drivers....

In the power and sleep settings, I changes the Screen setting to "Never" turn off. I still am using the sleep option. So far my issue has not reoccurred, so I am guessing it is how the external monitors interact with the laptop.

:)

BrianGman, May 13, 2019

2. Start menu not working

I found the following article, ran the suggested powershell command and my start menu is working again. Here it is as I found it:
    Go to Start menu button and right click on it. This will open the contextual menu, after which you need to select Command Prompt (Admin). Once Command Prompt is open, go ahead with the following steps.

• Type and enter: Powershell
    • Type the following: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Don Donadio, May 13, 2019
  3. KrisD1 Win User
    SAME OLD, SAME OLD, START MENU STILL NOT WORKING...DOES ANYBODY HAVE THE SOLUTION????????

My error message states "Start menu and Cortana aren't working". As a result I'm unable to right click on start as you suggest for step 1 to fix the error. What is the solution for that?

KrisD1, May 13, 2019
  4. Naki Win User

Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

Thema:

1. Start Menu not working possible solution - Similar Threads - Start Menu working

2. solution to start menu critical error

in Windows 10 Customization
    solution to start menu critical error: ok this is not a question this is a solution to the start menu error see the thing is when u start up your pc or laptop dont instantly try to open the start menu actually u should first open task manager restart your windows explorer then open start menu cause this worked for...
  3. solution to start menu critical error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    solution to start menu critical error: ok this is not a question this is a solution to the start menu error see the thing is when u start up your pc or laptop dont instantly try to open the start menu actually u should first open task manager restart your windows explorer then open start menu cause this worked for...
  4. solution to start menu critical error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Explorer & Start Menu not working, possibly corrupted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer & Start Menu not working, possibly corrupted: Device / SystemDetailsWindows 11 OS Build 22621.963Dell Inspiron 16 7610IssueI turned on laptop last night and found that there was an empty white bar where the start menu should be ad the windows key on the keyboard did nothing.Initially, looking at Task Manager, the Windows...
  6. Windows Explorer & Start Menu not working, possibly corrupted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer & Start Menu not working, possibly corrupted: Device / SystemDetailsWindows 11 OS Build 22621.963Dell Inspiron 16 7610IssueI turned on laptop last night and found that there was an empty white bar where the start menu should be ad the windows key on the keyboard did nothing.Initially, looking at Task Manager, the Windows...
  7. SOLUTION - Start menu disappears, start menu will not open [Solved]

in Windows 10 Customization
    SOLUTION - Start menu disappears, start menu will not open [Solved]: PROBLEM STATEMENT: All of the sudden one day the Start Menu in Win 10 stopped working, clicking the button or pressing the Win key had no effect. After spending hours exploring all manner of weird and wonderful *hacks* on the Internets to no effect I have stumbled across...
  8. Smallest Start menu possible

in Windows 10 Support
    Smallest Start menu possible: What is the smallest size possible for the Windows 10 Start menu? I could only resize it to a certain extent, then it would not get any smaller. [img] 15464
  9. Menu is not working. Any solutions?

in Windows 10 Support
    Menu is not working. Any solutions?: The menu bar stopped working after I updated the Windows 10 today. It was working in the past few days (since I upgraded from Windows 7) but after I rebooted the system when I click on the menu icon it does not open. 15998
  10. Start menu not working, possibly reverted to Windows 8?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu not working, possibly reverted to Windows 8?: Hello, all. Yesterday my start menu suddenly stopped working. In it's place I had a little white house icon on the task bar. I finally figured out that that was a Lenovo product called Pokki that was apparently designed to replace the missing start menu in Windows 8. I...