Windows 10: Start menu not working, possibly reverted to Windows 8?

Discus and support Start menu not working, possibly reverted to Windows 8? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, all. Yesterday my start menu suddenly stopped working. In it's place I had a little white house icon on the task bar. I finally figured out... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Violet, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Violet Win User

Start menu not working, possibly reverted to Windows 8?

Hello, all.

Yesterday my start menu suddenly stopped working. In it's place I had a little white house icon on the task bar. I finally figured out that that was a Lenovo product called Pokki that was apparently designed to replace the missing start menu in Windows 8. I deleted it and rebooted but my start menu still doesn't work. Then I noticed that my C drive is now called "Windows 8_OS (C*Smile". Is it possible that somehow I've reverted to Windows 8 and that's why everything is messed up? I certainly did not do this deliberately. The only other thing is that I noticed that before all this started that the Comodo firewall I had been using was gone. I thought it maybe happened when I installed Windows 10 (which had been working fine for several months, BTW) - I reinstalled Comodo but then uninstalled again thinking that might be the problem. (It wasn't.)

My start menu did freeze up once before - I fixed it by deleting explorer.exe and then putting it in again as advised when I googled it. This time, I don't even have explorer.exe in my task manager.

:)

Violet, Aug 31, 2015

2. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Aug 31, 2015
  3. Windows 10 start menu has changed

The start menu that I has customized (personalized) on my desktop pc has changed by itself...possibly has reverted to the menu that was installed when I upgraded to Windows 10...Is there anyway to the one I designed back?

LindaLanquist, Aug 31, 2015
  4. Start menu not working, possibly reverted to Windows 8?

Pokki is a third-party app, and not made by Lenovo, but it is interesting that they chose to bundle it with a computer purchase. It sounds like your current install has been corrupted, possibly by Pokki's removal. If your Windows 10 is or was activated, my best advice would be to back up your data and do a clean install of Windows 10.

DeaconFrost, Aug 31, 2015
Thema:

Start menu not working, possibly reverted to Windows 8?

1. Start menu not working, possibly reverted to Windows 8? - Similar Threads - Start menu working

2. Windows key opens Window 8 start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows key opens Window 8 start menu: When I press the "Windows" key on my keyboard my computer opens a Windows 8 Start Menu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-key-opens-window-8-start-menu/57ed983a-689c-4782-89d8-bbf352e08a19
  3. How to revert to "Classic" Start Menu in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to revert to "Classic" Start Menu in Windows 11?: Is there ANY other way to recover the "Classic" Start menu from Windows 10 within Windows 11 preferably in the registry?I see many forums stating that adding the reg key "Start_ShowClassicMode=1" was once a solution that now no longer works after Micrsoft killed it in an...
  4. How to revert to "Classic" Start Menu in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to revert to "Classic" Start Menu in Windows 11?: Is there ANY other way to recover the "Classic" Start menu from Windows 10 within Windows 11 preferably in the registry?I see many forums stating that adding the reg key "Start_ShowClassicMode=1" was once a solution that now no longer works after Micrsoft killed it in an...
  5. Windows Explorer & Start Menu not working, possibly corrupted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer & Start Menu not working, possibly corrupted: Device / SystemDetailsWindows 11 OS Build 22621.963Dell Inspiron 16 7610IssueI turned on laptop last night and found that there was an empty white bar where the start menu should be ad the windows key on the keyboard did nothing.Initially, looking at Task Manager, the Windows...
  6. Windows Explorer & Start Menu not working, possibly corrupted

Windows Explorer & Start Menu not working, possibly corrupted: Device / SystemDetailsWindows 11 OS Build 22621.963Dell Inspiron 16 7610IssueI turned on laptop last night and found that there was an empty white bar where the start menu should be ad the windows key on the keyboard did nothing.Initially, looking at Task Manager, the Windows...
  7. Registry Change doesn't revert Windows 11 Start Menu to Windows 10 Start Menu

Registry Change doesn't revert Windows 11 Start Menu to Windows 10 Start Menu: I went to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer' in the registry and added a new DWORD 32-Bit value, made sure it was HEX and named it Start_ShowClassicMode, and set the value of that to 1, yet after restarting my PC, the start menu never changed...
  8. Start Menu not working possible solution

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Start Menu not working possible solution: I have been fighting with the start menu and many of the windows apps not working after leaving the computer for a while. With some of the apps, I could close them and restart. I am using a Laptop with two external monitors. I tried all the fixes I could find out there,...
  9. Windows 8 Start Menu STYLE in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 8 Start Menu STYLE in Windows 10: Dear all, On my Asus UX305, I kept my Windows 8.1, because I actually like the Start Menu. I know that it is possible to have a similar setup in Windows 10, but it definitely does not look the same. Is there a way that I can edit the background of the Start Menu in...
  10. Smallest Start menu possible

in Windows 10 Support
    Smallest Start menu possible: What is the smallest size possible for the Windows 10 Start menu? I could only resize it to a certain extent, then it would not get any smaller. [img] 15464