Windows 10: Start Menu Oddities (1809/1903)

Discus and support Start Menu Oddities (1809/1903) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! I'm encountering a bit of odd behavior when working with the Start Menu in Windows Server 1809, but I've verified the issue in Win10 1903 as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by FlatJackBob, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Start Menu Oddities (1809/1903)

Hello!

I'm encountering a bit of odd behavior when working with the Start Menu in Windows Server 1809, but I've verified the issue in Win10 1903 as well. All in all, it's a two part issue.

Part one: Start layout width does not seem to be saved when using Export-StartLayout and Import-StartLayout PowerShell cmdlets. If I export a layout that looks like this https://i.imgur.com/9df6eZB.png it will look like https://i.imgur.com/mgRw7N7.png when it is imported. If I manually resize start menu and export it again, then do a differential comparison against what was imported there is no change.

Has anyone else encountered this? If so, how did you restore the second full panel for pinned item groups?

Part two: See that gap beside the pinned Control Panel in either image? It's supposed to be a shortcut to "God Mode". The start layout I've imported contains the correct path, but it is not shown in this section of the start menu. I have a non-pinned shortcut in my start menu to a "God Mode" folder on this machine. I can drag it to the System Administration section, and a pinned "God Mode" shortcut will be created as expected. If I export the start layout after doing so and compare it to what was imported originally, there are no differences in between what was imported originally and the export after my changes.

Has anyone else encountered this? If so, how did you restore a reliable shortcut to "God Mode".

Thanks for reading.
    -FJB

:)

FlatJackBob, Nov 7, 2019
  2. APoL0x Win User

Annoying issue with tiles in Start Menu in 1903

Hi, I've recently updated to 1903 from 1809 and now I've found an annoying issue with tiles in Start Menu that I didn't have before in 1809:

Start Menu Oddities (1809/1903) [​IMG]

I can't move those tiles up like I had before. I've tried reseting Start Menu layout to default with a .reg file and I've tried solving Start Menu problems with the Microsoft Start Menu fixing tool. Nothing works. Any suggestions?

APoL0x, Nov 7, 2019
  3. spapakons Win User
    USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Nov 7, 2019
  4. Start Menu Oddities (1809/1903)

Windows 10 Start menu is empty

Hi. Steps 1 and 2 didn't do much but step 3 has restored what looks like the list of original Microsoft apps but no sign of any of the many apps I have installed. And there are no tiles in the start menu. Any suggestions please?

LesGrant42, Nov 7, 2019
Thema:

Start Menu Oddities (1809/1903)

1. Start Menu Oddities (1809/1903) - Similar Threads - Start Menu Oddities

2. Windows 1903 to 1809

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 1903 to 1809: I recently upgraded my pc to windows version 1903. I can' t play games anymore since i had the 1809 version. i watched some tutorials online and found out there is an optian to 'roll back' a windows update. but it doesnt appear for me since i have the update for 10 for...
  3. Start Menu not working (Build 1903)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu not working (Build 1903): Couple of days ago my start menu stopped opening. This is before start menu is pressed : https://imgur.com/a/8S7NLTv After start menu is pressed/Windows button is pressed (just the start menu greys as if it has opened) : https://imgur.com/a/Ff9p6pI If I start typing after...
  4. Windows 10 1809 Start Menu will not work!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 1809 Start Menu will not work!: I use a ton of programs like Steam, VirtualBox and a few others. My ASUS is running Windows 10, version 1809 - I have problems all the time. This problem is where my start menu files are corrupted. I also cannot access the internet because Microsoft Edge won't work, and it's...
  5. 1809 or 1903

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    1809 or 1903: Like many, I learned my lessons the hard way about feature updates. I'm currently running Win 10 Pro 1803. I've got a block on feature updates, not a deferral thus far. Is an 1809 upgrade still an option? I can't find any info about that possibility? Was 1809 permanently...
  6. Update 1903 Start Menu Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Update 1903 Start Menu Issue: My computer updated automatically from Win 10 1803 to 1903 on 8/5/19. The first issue I found was a Onedrive app icon in the start menu that was not there prior to the update, I delete the desktop app long ago. When clicking the icon nothing happens, when right clicking the...
  7. Underwhelmed by 1903 (and 1809 and ...)

in Windows 10 Support
    Underwhelmed by 1903 (and 1809 and ...): I've installed 1903 on this system and read the post in Windows News about what's new with this release. I'd categorise most of that as bling. Come on MS lets have some REAL functional enhancements - I mean really do I care if the login screen background is blurred when I...
  8. Annoying issue with tiles in Start Menu in 1903

in Windows 10 Support
    Annoying issue with tiles in Start Menu in 1903: Hi, I've recently updated to 1903 from 1809 and now I've found an annoying issue with tiles in Start Menu that I didn't have before in 1809: [img] I can't move those tiles up like I had before. I've tried reseting Start Menu layout to default with a .reg file and I've...
  9. 1809/1903

in Windows 10 Support
    1809/1903: Will I still be eligible for Windows 1903 update seeing as how I never got the 1809 update.?Apparently tried to update 1/1/19 but for some unknown reason failed and no further attempt. Thank You 131868
  10. File Explorer oddities and unresponsive since 1809

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer oddities and unresponsive since 1809: 1803 was working fine. Last night I (finally) got the upgrade pushed to me. I had to reset a bunch of settings, very annoying. I had to re-install one program. Why? I had to re-add little hacks that make things work right. For instance: I often open a bunch of images at once...