Windows 10: Start menu only opens in full screen mode

Discus and support Start menu only opens in full screen mode in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My start menu does not open when I click the icon or press the windows key. If I switch my laptop into tablet mode or change the "Use start full... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Luke Hoskins, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Start menu only opens in full screen mode

My start menu does not open when I click the icon or press the windows key.

If I switch my laptop into tablet mode or change the "Use start full screen" setting it will work, however when I change it back the menu still won't open.

instead, the taskbar pops up and the windows icon background changes to grey.

I have tried dism and sdc as recommended by other threads but neither of those has fixed the problem.

:)

Luke Hoskins, Nov 26, 2018
  2. topgundcp Win User

How do I get a screenshot of start menu?

1. Run snipping tool ( If screen appears grayed out, press ESC, if not continue step 2.)
    2. Click to open the start menu
    3. Hold CTRL and press print Screen. Screen will appear grayed out, ready to capture.

NOTE: This will work with all popup menus ie. Windows Menu, Context menu etc...

topgundcp, Nov 26, 2018
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    Start menu and settings both wont open.

Hello Robert,

As per the description of the issue, you are unable to open both Windows Settings and Start menu. For us to resolve this issue, we suggest that you perform troubleshooting. Here's an

article
    that you can go to. In here, you'll see solutions to resolve Start menu issues.

To resolve Windows Settings issue, kindly follow the steps listed below:

• Boot into Safe Mode.
    • Open a command prompt windows.
    • Type sfc/scannow, and then hit Enter.
    • Once it's finished, restart the computer to check if the issue still persists.

If the issue still persists after doing the steps above, kindly refer to this
    link
    for further troubleshooting.

Let us know if the resolution provided works.

Paolo Mag, Nov 26, 2018
  4. Start menu only opens in full screen mode

Windows 10 Start Menu won't open.

Hi Dougie,

Corrupted system files could be one of the reason why Start Menu is not opening.

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps listed in this article:
    Troubleshoot problems with the Start menu or Cortana
    see if it helps resolve the issue.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Ronalene Mat, Nov 26, 2018
Thema:

Start menu only opens in full screen mode

1. Start menu only opens in full screen mode - Similar Threads - Start menu opens

2. Start full screen mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start full screen mode: Hi everyone, In win 10, ver 20h32, in the mode of "Start full screen", I want to set the app list as default for every time open start menu, what should i do? Please help. Thank you. In default, the 'Pinned app list' is shown in DEFAULT, but I want to change it to full...
  3. Start menu only opens in full screen mode

Start menu only opens in full screen mode: My start menu does not open when I click the icon or press the windows key. It opens only in full screen Settings->Start->Use Start Full Screen This problem occurred after i created a new local account with admin rights. Start Menu works fine in new user account I have...
  4. Start menu in full screen mode changes it's background to black.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu in full screen mode changes it's background to black.: In non full screen mode background is purple, as it should be. Anyone knows to fix it? Here's how it looks like submitted by /u/vhourusz [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gegn2c/start_menu_in_full_screen_mode_changes_its/
  5. Start Menu full screen

Start Menu full screen: Hello Community, Recently i buy Microsoft surface i dont know how start menu become full screen even i off from start menu setting how to off full screen start menu kindly see the screen short. [IMG] Kind regards,...
  6. Full screen "start menu" stuck in full screen mode

Full screen "start menu" stuck in full screen mode: I have three different Acer computers all running the latest release of Windows 10 home. All have processed the latest October 8th release updates to 1903. One user account on one computer is "stuck" in full screen mode. The same user account on the other two are "normal."...
  7. Start menu only opens in full screen mode

Start menu only opens in full screen mode: My start menu does not open when I click the icon or press the windows key. It does open when I switch it to full screen mode. This actually happened several months ago, but I have been dealing with the full screen mode option due to schedule. However recently it has really...
  8. Start Menu Full Screen not working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Start Menu Full Screen not working: Hi, I have been trying to switch my start up window to my start menu. However, whenever I enable the option "Full screen," in (settings=>personalization=>Start), there are no changes whatsoever taking place. I have tried restarting the PC to no avail. I am kindly requesting...
  9. problem with full screen start menu

problem with full screen start menu: when I set the start menu to display in full screen it becomes finicky. It sometimes won't open at all. If I go back and change one item it will start working again. It seems like it does not matter which item I chg. If I chg it back it will keep working for a while. any...
  10. Full screen start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Full screen start menu: Ah ha I found you at last. Reason being, I rather liked that aspect of windows 8-8.1 so I was glad to find the option for it again under personalise and start menu options. Some of you may want that back! who knows but it's in there. 13551

Users found this page by searching for:

1. start menu only works in full screen

2. start menu only work in full screen