Windows 10: Start Menu only works in safe mode!

Discus and support Start Menu only works in safe mode! in Cortana to solve the problem; Hello, So like 2 weeks ago I downloaded a program called Classic Shell which I thought it was safe, but it ruined my start menu and my PC i managed... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Ethan Apostol, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Start Menu only works in safe mode!

Hello,

So like 2 weeks ago I downloaded a program called Classic Shell which I thought it was safe, but it ruined my start menu and my PC i managed to fix my PC but not the start menu. When I launch into safe mode the start menu seems to work and most Microsoft settings but in normal mod it doesn't work! Can someone please help

:)

Ethan Apostol, Jan 16, 2019

2. Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

Have you tried all the above steps suggested by Sangeeta Sarkar on September 13, 2015.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you trying to login the Microsoft account or the Local account in safe mode?
    • Did you try with only safe mode or safe mode with networking?
    • What is the critical error you are getting?

If you are using Windows 10. To go to safe mode you have to follow the below steps.

If you are able to go to login screen in normal mode try the below steps to go to safe mode with networking.

• At the login screen click on the power symbol.

• Hold SHIFT + Click Restart.

• After restarting your system, select the Troubleshoot option.

• Select advanced options under
      Troubleshoot screen.

• Click on Startup Settings.

• Click Restart and follow the onscreen steps to go to
      Safe Mode with networking and check if you are able to login.

[*]
    Please get back with more information, we will be glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jan 16, 2019
  3. Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you. I will be glad to assist you with your issue.

Follow the below steps and check if it helps. 

If you see the black screen or have a flickering screen:

Step 1: Try connecting to different video outputs on the PC. Sometimes a change in driver can cause the video to be sent:

• To a different Adapter: from integrated graphics to a discrete card or vice versa.
      • To a different output: from HDMI to DVI, Display Port to VGA, or any other combination.
    Step 2: Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking
    or Enable low-resolution video.

• Advanced boot options, Safe Mode with Networking, or Low Resolution Video
      • Check Device Manager and look for Display Adapters
        • If you see 2 items under Display Adapters, disable to integrated video card (e.g. Intel HD 4000 or AMD Radeon HD 4200) and restart. (try vice versa if it does not work).
        • If you see 1 item under Display Adapters, rollback the driver or uninstall the display adapter in Device Manager, and enable the option to delete driver software.
    How to boot into Safe mode.

Run your computer in Safe mode and see if you still get that error message. If you are not getting that error message in safe mode then perform clean boot on your computer using the steps provided below. If you
    don't get that error message in safe mode then it means that some third party application is causing the problem.

To use a Safe Boot option, follow these steps:

• Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the
      F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.
    • Select an option Safe mode with Networking using the arrow keys on the keyboard when the
      Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe mode with Networking and then press
      ENTER.

I would suggest you to force shutdown your system and then try to restart it again and check if you are able to login to safe boot.

Check the PC or display adapter manufacturer’s site for an updated driver.

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.  

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jan 16, 2019
  4. Darshan J Win User

Start Menu only works in safe mode!

Start menu not working

Hi Selwel,

Please answer the below questions to help you better.

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Which Windows 10 build is installed on the system?
    • Have you installed all the pending updates on your system?
    • Did you make any recent software/hardware changes to your computer?
    • Do you have any third party antivirus program installed on your computer?

As an initial step I would suggest you to restart your computer and check if the issue gets resolved. If the issue still persists follow the below methods.

Method 1: Run the Start menu Troubleshooter

Start menu troubleshooter.

After you've completed the troubleshooter, restart your device.

You can also refer to the link below and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Method 2: Try booting the system in Safe Mode and check the status of the issue.

Safe mode starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and services. If a problem doesn't reappear when you start your PC in safe mode, you can eliminate the default settings and basic device drivers and services
    as possible causes. Refer the link below for steps to boot in Safe Mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...ther-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

If you don’t face the issue in Safe Mode I would suggest to perform a clean boot in normal mode.

I suggest you to perform a Clean boot to check if any third party application is causing the issue, as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

How to troubleshoot problem by performing clean boot in Windows:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Let us know the status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Darshan J, Jan 16, 2019
Thema:

Start Menu only works in safe mode!

1. Start Menu only works in safe mode! - Similar Threads - Start Menu works

2. The laptop's Display only works in Safe mode.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The laptop's Display only works in Safe mode.: Greetings, A few days back, I downloaded Citra an emulator for running 3DS games. The same day - After a few hours, my Laptop screen started glitching out. I've attached the pictures of how it looks. The glitching-out process is aberrant; Sometimes it happens immediately at...
  3. Computer Only Starts in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Only Starts in Safe Mode: Hello,Two days ago, when I wanted to start my laptop it didn't start. I tried to see if the num lock and caps lock keys worked and they didn't. So then I shut it down because nothing happened, there was only a black screen. The cursor didn't show up either.Anyways, my...
  4. Computer Only Starts in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Only Starts in Safe Mode: Hello,Two days ago, when I wanted to start my laptop it didn't start. I tried to see if the num lock and caps lock keys worked and they didn't. So then I shut it down because nothing happened, there was only a black screen. The cursor didn't show up either.Anyways, my...
  5. Computer Only Starts in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. PC only works in Safe Mode

PC only works in Safe Mode: HI,I've spent about a week trying to troubleshoot this issue. I'll try and add everything I remember I've found from research and attempted.System: R7 2700X, 16gb DDR4 3200, GTX980 Ti. WD Blue 1Tb NVME for C drive, Seagate SSHD for D game driveThe issue: on boot, my PC does...
  7. Windows 10 Only Starts in Safe Mode

Windows 10 Only Starts in Safe Mode: After an update, Windows 10 does not run. It begins to start up Windows logo appears, but after about 10 seconds the screen goes completely black. Windows Recovery Environment does run and Windows Safe Mode also runs. I would appreciate any help to fix this issue....
  8. Windows 10 Only Works in Safe Mode

Windows 10 Only Works in Safe Mode: Hello, Recently, my PC has been randomly crashing no pattern to when it crashes, typically 0-60 seconds after logging in, sometimes not for hours, no blue screen or error codes, the monitor just says its disconnected and the computer is unresponsive. I have tried seemingly...
  9. Windows only starts in safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows only starts in safe mode: Thank you very much. I will look into all these options although it updated a few days ago and there were no prompts about it this time.
  10. Start Menu Glitch in Safe Mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Glitch in Safe Mode: Start Menu is completely unusuable in Safe mode on Windows 10. I'm not asking for a fix because I know there isn't one. Microsoft releases an operating system without confirming if its basic functions "Safe Mode" even work. This is quite disappointing. I've been a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my start menu works in safe mode only

2. start menu only works in safe mode