Windows 10: Start menu, other critical Win10 programs unavailable after upgrade from Win7

Discus and support Start menu, other critical Win10 programs unavailable after upgrade from Win7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After upgrading from Win7 and installing "updates" I was first greeted with a blank screen. I hit a button and got the "critical error start menu not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rlm., Dec 11, 2019.

1. rlm. Win User

Start menu, other critical Win10 programs unavailable after upgrade from Win7

After upgrading from Win7 and installing "updates" I was first greeted with a blank screen. I hit a button and got the "critical error start menu not available". Reboot a few times and eventually my desktop showed up but start menu etc are still unavailable. I can right click start menu icon, cannot type into search area, left/right clicking on icons for Win10 programs (e.g. store, notifications) do nothing Googled it and got advice to do e.g.

(from powershell)

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

though I get a series of errors, e.g.:

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could not be registered.
    error 0x80070005: Cannot register the request because the following error was encountered while initializing the
    windows.repositoryExtension extension: Access is denied.

got "more" information with command: Get-AppPackageLog -ActivityID cf54331f-b060-0004-673b-54cf60b0d501

12/11/2019 2:31:11 PM 404 AppX Deployment operation failed for package Microsoft.AsyncTextService_10.0.18362.449_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe with error 0x80073CF6. The specific error text for this failure is: error 0x80070005: Cannot register the request because the following error was encountered while initializing the windows.repositoryExtension extension: Access is denied. .

Not particularly useful. There's nothing in the forum to explain how to fix.

Tried checking for additional updates. I can't! It's unavailable! If I run "ms-settings:" from Win-R and get:

"package could not be registered."

Also nothing in forums to fix this.

Clearly something is terribly corrupt. Another hint(?), I can run powershell by manually finding it in explorer. But if I try from the right click Start menu I get "Windows cannot find '%DappData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\WIndows PowerShell\Windows PowerShell.lnk'.

At this point the computer is 90% unusable. I also cannot recover from the Win7 backup that I made because it refuses to allow me to do so.

:)

2. tdming Win User

Upgrade to Win10 from Win7 desktop, windows update

I did the upgrade from Win7 to Win10 last week. It seemed to go fine but I have no desktop icons, no apps listed on the Start Menu, All Apps option, and Windows Update has been stuck at 2% downloading an update. I've run sfc /scannow and DISM through
    advanced command prompt with no change in behavior. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

tdming, Dec 11, 2019
  3. AAG
    aag Win User
    start button behavior win7 vs. win10

• in win7, pushing the start button and typing would bring up (immediately) a list of hits among the installed programs.
    • in win10, doing the above retrieves search results from the internet (with some latency), and only then brings up any installed programs (with even more latency).

Is there a way to make Win10 revert to Win7 behavior in this respect?

4. eschap Win User

Critical Error Start menu

I have same problem and none of the posted suggestions work. I did a system restore and it almost works except the start menu is not properly organized and the programs are listed in a different than normal manner. after a few hours when I click on the
    start menu the critical error pops up again and says it will try to repair on the net login, which does not repair the problem. but if I do a restore it will work for a few hours and then repeats

eschap, Dec 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Start menu, other critical Win10 programs unavailable after upgrade from Win7 - Similar Threads - Start menu critical

2. problem upgrade from win7 to win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problem upgrade from win7 to win10: Install of Windows 10 fails in SAFE_OS during REPLICATE_OC 0x8007001F - 0x20006 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-upgrade-from-win7-to-win10/786ad7bb-b0d8-4a6f-81c1-7898c27765d8
  3. problem upgrade from win7 to win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problem upgrade from win7 to win10: Install of Windows 10 fails in SAFE_OS during REPLICATE_OC 0x8007001F - 0x20006 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-upgrade-from-win7-to-win10/786ad7bb-b0d8-4a6f-81c1-7898c27765d8
  4. upgrade from win7 to win10 remotely

in Windows 10 Customization
    upgrade from win7 to win10 remotely: Hi all, do you think it is possible to upgrade from win7pro to win10pro completely in remote? I use teamviewer what happens during the several reboots? thanks Ale...
  5. upgrade problems from win7 to win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade problems from win7 to win10: Hi, Having some issues upgrading a windows 7 system to windows 10. Ran the MS upgrade using mediacreationtool1909.exe on an older AMD processor (Athlon II X2 250 3.00ghz 32 bit) and the supporting motherboard, no other devices. It ran for awhile and then failed with this...
  6. upgrading from win7 to win10

upgrading from win7 to win10: I can't find HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager to uninstall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win7-to-win10/f289a046-d68b-471b-8f6f-de8ed5ccafa6
  7. Retrying win10 upgrade from win7

Retrying win10 upgrade from win7: I accidently downloaded and tried to install the 32 bit version. My system is 64 bit. The download/install goes through the steps until it gets to 27%. I've tried three times It stops the install and resets the system back to win7. The error code is "0x8007005-0x2000A...
  8. revert from Win10 upgrade to Win7

revert from Win10 upgrade to Win7: This is essentially a FYI post. I recently decided to upgrade from my Win7 pro to Win10 pro because I got an announcement that one of my programs (TurboTax) would not install or run on Win7 next year. I did this using some links / tutorials in this forum. They were pretty...
  9. After Upgrading from win7 to win10, nothing works.

After Upgrading from win7 to win10, nothing works.: I recently done an upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro and having issues. For starter, the start menu doesn't open. Search, Settings, Updates & Securities, Apps & Features and the list goes on will not open. Event MS Edge doesn't open. Basically anything that belongs to...
  10. Upgrading from win7 to win10

Upgrading from win7 to win10: Hello, I have 4 PCs; I was able to upgrade 3, but the fourth one the desktop I couldn't upgrade it. I followed all the workarounds and solution were offered I downloaded the Windows Creation Tool and still cannot update. What should I do? 13716