Windows 10: Start Menu programs broken (clicking on them doesn't do anything)

Discus and support Start Menu programs broken (clicking on them doesn't do anything) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, Here's the situation: I start my PC, and get to the desktop. I press the Win key, which opens up the Start menu, then type in (to search),... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RaduAvr, Jul 19, 2017.

1. RaduAvr Win User

Start Menu programs broken (clicking on them doesn't do anything)

Hello,

Here's the situation:

• I start my PC, and get to the desktop.
    • I press the Win key, which opens up the Start menu, then type in (to search), say, Discord. It finds "Discord" for "Best match", and it's a "Desktop app". That's normal so far.
    • I click on Discord, nothing happens.
    • I type in Settings instead, and it finds "Settings" as a "Trusted Windows store app". However, the thumbnail looks broken and again, it doesn't open if I click on it. This is the case with many entries in Start menu. Something like Apps & Features, if I search for that, it runs just fine.
    Now, here's the odd part: creating another user account fixes this. I can run Settings just fine,
    I think this is what I did before that borked it: used CCleaner, deleted iconcache.db files, and deleted TileDataLayer folder. One of these must have broken it, don't know which one specifically though. I routinely use CCleaner, and what I noticed is that at some point I couldn't run CCleaner like I couldn't run the programs above, by searching for it. It just did nothing.
    So, what I ended up doing is deleting the files and folder mentioned above, which is probably what made it worse and now I can't even run Settings, Discord, Chrome, etc, off the start menu and I have to either go to where the programs are or launch them off my desktop.
    I've tried a few solutions but none worked (incidentally that's what borked it even further: I did the iconcache and TileDataLayer thing because I found that as a solution online, and it's probably what broke the other apps).
    Please assist me if you can, this issue is bugging me and the only workaround I have is to create another user account but if I can just fix this user account I would much prefer it, as I did so much on it and it would take me a very long time to change the other user as well.

Thank you!

:)

RaduAvr, Jul 19, 2017
  2. yooperer Win User

Windows 10 Creator. Most options when right-clicking Start menu don't work

I upgraded to Windows 10 Creator Update.

Now if I right click on the Start menu, some of the options work. Many do not.

The ones that don't work are

Mobility Center

Event Viewer

Device Manager

Disk Management

Computer Management

Windows Powershell

Task Manager

File Explorer

Also right clicking on files and trying to choose Run as administrator doesn't work.

The programs work. For example, if I start typing their name and choose them from the options that show up, they run, so it's just the start menu that's broken.

I've tried various suggestions for fixing Start menu problems, but none has made a difference.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

yooperer, Jul 19, 2017
  3. Unable to open start menu or right click pinned items on taskbar.

I just installed Windows 10 and I am unable to open my start menu, and right click on pinned items on my taskbar doesn't do anything. I can left click to open them however.

Name is Taken, Jul 19, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

The most efficient way to fix most of the problems is an in place upgrade repair:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

1) find a flash drive that you can format
    2) create a bootable windows 10 iso: Download Windows 10
    3) power on the computer and boot to the desktop
    4) open file explorer
    5) insert the windows 10 iso into any USB drive
    6) click on the usb drive > locate setup or setup.exe > launch it
    7) choose language, time, currency, keyboard
    8) do not click install
    9) look in the lower left and click on repair your computer
    10) follow the text and images to preform an in place upgrade repair and keep files and applications.

If you prefer to troubleshoot you already know that you have a corrupted user account by your success with the new user:
    Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste these commands:
    1) sfc /scannow
    2) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    3) chkdsk /scan
    4) run through the troubleshooting steps in these links if the above steps did not fix the start menu problems:

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/...t-menu-cortana
    [How To] Re-register Start Menu In Windows 10 [How To] Re-register Start Menu In Windows 10

5) if you are comfortable using the registry there are methods to repair a corrupted user. In most cases it is easier to use a new user.

zbook, Jul 19, 2017
  5. RaduAvr Win User
    As per instructions, I have attempted to do:

1. sfc /scannow - no errors.
    2. dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth - worked fine.
    3. chkdsk /scan - again no issues apparently.
    4. The re-register start menu in Windows 10 command for admin PowerShell from the link provided: Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)} - does not do anything whatsoever it seems. It doesn't say that it's an invalid command or whatever, but it's instantly done and nothing pops up in PowerShell (other than it waiting for me to put in another command).

For the "in place upgrade repair and keep files and applications", what exactly do I lose? I'm definitely losing some settings and other stuff, right? I'm just wondering what beforehand.

In addition to that, when I attempted to create a new user account again, for that one I couldn't even open the Start Menu at all anymore, I don't know why. Also with a new administrator account. So it's even worse for new accounts, I don't know what I did (if I did anything) that broke it there.

At least for my main account I can open the start menu and a few of the entries there actually work (like Apps & Features, or Device Manager, but not something like Control Panel, my usual programs, etc). I mean when I search for them in the start menu and try to click on them there, not when I look through the list and click on them, that one works fine.

Also, thanks for your help!

RaduAvr, Jul 19, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    In the link: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    see the pink section for warning so that you will know what is lost.
    The corrupted user I do not think it will fix. If it does please report that in the thread. It should fix the file problems that your have. Running Ccleaner is something that many of us do on a regular basis. However many of us only use it for the windows and application tabs. So often the registry cleaner works in the short run but over time many people encounter unexpected problems using the registry cleaner. So most suggest only using Ccleaner for windows and applications. And for windows and application there are some boxes that should be unchecked.

zbook, Jul 19, 2017
  7. RaduAvr Win User
    Ok, sounds good! I will try it in a bit.

RaduAvr, Jul 19, 2017
  8. RaduAvr Win User

Unfortunately that step also didn't work. Also, what I got was very, very different compared to what was in the guide.

From step 14, it's already different. It sent me straight to the Windows desktop, no welcome back screen, no personalization settings, etc.

EDIT: I've caved in and reinstalled Windows, but there still seem to be some Start Menu issues (like some of the installed apps don't show up when I'm searching for them).

RaduAvr, Jul 19, 2017
  9. zbook New Member
    What was performed a repair install followed by a clean install?
    Did you delete partitions, format the drive, create an un-allocated driver, install windows 10 version 1703?

-

zbook, Jul 19, 2017
  10. RaduAvr Win User
    Yes, repair followed by clean install.

Formatted drives, deleted the partitions and put Windows 10 on the USB via the media creation tool.

RaduAvr, Jul 19, 2017
  11. zbook New Member
    See this link:
    installed program not showing in start menu Solved - Windows 10 Forums

If there are any more problems after a clean install consider a repeat clean install.

These are some additional links for start menu problems:

Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/...led-or-removed

[How To] Re-register Start Menu In Windows 10: [How To] Re-register Start Menu In Windows 10

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...t-menu-cortana

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/start-...pen-windows-10

zbook, Jul 19, 2017
  12. RaduAvr Win User
    After some troubleshooting, I discovered the culprit.

It's a program I use that makes Windows less annoying, disables telemetry, etc. It's called O&O ShutUp10.

I don't know exactly which optimization it does that breaks the start menu search, but something does. After clicking the "reset to factory settings" button in the program and restarting, the installed apps that wouldn't show when searching now appear. I'd love to know which of the options causes those issues so I can disable it.

RaduAvr, Jul 20, 2017
  13. Lizy297 Win User

Press the Windows key and the R key at the same time.
    This opens the Run box
    In the Open area, type: msconfig
    Press: OK

In System Configuration console, select the Boot tab
    Check the box for: Safe boot
    Make sure Minimal is also ticked.

Press the OK button
    When asked if you want to Restart now or wait until later, Restart now
    The restart takes you into Safe Mode.

In Safe Mode, try to left click and right click the Start button, and see if it works.

Once done turn off Safe Mode and go back to normal mode.
    Open up msconfig the same way as above.
    On the Boot tab uncheck: Safe boot
    Press the OK button

When asked if you want to Restart now or wait until later, Restart now
    The restart takes you back to normal.

Check the issue again, and see if the left click on the Start button works.

Lizy297, Jul 20, 2017
  14. RaduAvr Win User
    Thanks for the attempt to help, but as mentioned, the issue has already been fixed. Though, it should be helpful advice in case someone else who has a similar issue to me reads this thread.

RaduAvr, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Start Menu programs broken (clicking on them doesn't do anything) - Similar Threads - Start Menu programs

2. Clicking start menu dont do anything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clicking start menu dont do anything: I clicked on my start menu but it wont open. It is opening earlier and I just locked the computer and the problem started after turning it on. Shortcut key on the keyboard dont do anything as well....
  3. Clicking start menu dont do anything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clicking start menu dont do anything: I clicked on my start menu but it wont open. It is opening earlier and I just locked the computer and the problem started after turning it on. Shortcut key on the keyboard dont do anything as well....
  4. Clicking start menu dont do anything

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. I can't click on anything in the start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can't click on anything in the start menu: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/jq910 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/inynd0/i_cant_click_on_anything_in_the_start_menu/
  6. Start Menu Program Search Broken

in Cortana
    Start Menu Program Search Broken: When I attempt to search for newly installed programs via the start menu search, they do not appear. Uninstalled programs will also still show in the results after having been removed. I have tried restarting the windows search service, restarting windows explorer,...
  7. Start menu doesn't click

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu doesn't click: one machine we manage doesn't open the start menu when clcked. when a local user logs on to this machine with Admin rights the Start menu does not work. Also when i remote onto the pc I can't elevate permissions or install our remote app. We can't access things like...
  8. I can't click on anything in the start menu.

in Windows 10 Support
    I can't click on anything in the start menu.: Hello, I had this problem in Windows 8 and 8.1 as well, so i figured with the new ten I'd actually try to get this fixed. Before, it didn't bug me as much. Before the update i simply wiped my computer just like i did before 8.1 so that it could install faster and not have to...
  9. Can't click on anything in Taskbar or Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't click on anything in Taskbar or Start Menu: Good day. I have an HP notebook with Windows 10 and yesterday I noticed that when I tried to open any programs from the taskbar, nothing happened. I clicked on the Start Menu also, nothing again. Even if I wave my mouse on the taskbar/Start menu. The icons don't light...
  10. Start menu programs right click

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu programs right click: Hello, recently I have reinstalled my windows, and after few days, after right clicking on my apps in start menu several options, which have been previously, disappeared. I can't uninstall, resize, or pin apps to start. Right clicking only show 'more' with sub-menu. Does...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. clicking the start button doesnt do anything