Windows 10: Start Menu Recent Items "Clear" option missing from right-click menu

Discus and support Start Menu Recent Items "Clear" option missing from right-click menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I used to be able to right-click on the "Recent" icon on the start menu and see an option to clear the recent files list. Now it's gone. The "Recent"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pjfarr, Dec 19, 2015.

1. pjfarr Win User

Start Menu Recent Items "Clear" option missing from right-click menu

I used to be able to right-click on the "Recent" icon on the start menu and see an option to clear the recent files list. Now it's gone. The "Recent" icon is still there and still functions properly and lists recently opened files, but the "Clear" option is now missing from the Recent right-click menu.

I went to %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows and saw that the folder icon for the Recent folder was now set to the generic folder icon instead of the unique recent folder icon it used to show. Opening the folder though, the correct original icon shows in the task bar, address bar, and title bar.

I saw some instructions somewhere to delete and recreate the Recent folder (delete the folder from explorer, then type shell:recent in the start menu search bar) but it was a procedure for Windows 7 and it didn't work here in Windows 10.

This is a new laptop with Win 10 Home preinstalled, not an upgrade from anything else.

I know how to clear the recent items using other methods, but would like to have this option restored to the right-click menu, the way it was before.

:)

pjfarr, Dec 19, 2015
  2. OzzieMatt Win User

Recycle bin missing from send-to Context menu

When I right click on a file or other object, "Recycle bin" is missing from the "Send to" menu. How do I get the Recycle bin back as an optional send to item?

OzzieMatt, Dec 19, 2015
  3. HigeGunso Win User
    Windows 10 start menu

Wish there was a way to get "Recent Documents" or "Recent Files" back into the Start Menu. I do miss that Start Menu option...

HigeGunso, Dec 19, 2015
  4. pjfarr Win User

I'd actually solved this quite a while ago but just realized I never posted the solution.1. With notepad, create a txt file containing:
    [.ShellClassInfo]LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21797InfoTip=@shell32,dll,-12692IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-117CLSID={0C39A5CF-1A7A-40C8-BA74-8900E6DF5FCD}
    2. Save it in the Recent folder itself, naming it "desktop" and with the extension .ini (i.e. desktop.ini)
    3. Right-click on the new .ini file and set it to "Hidden".
    4. Close the folder window and restart explorer from taskmanager if necessary.

That worked for me. Every now and again this issue will reappear so I keep a spare desktop.ini file that I just copy to the Recent folder whenever this happens.

pjfarr, Aug 27, 2016
Thema:

1. Start Menu Recent Items "Clear" option missing from right-click menu - Similar Threads - Start Menu Recent

2. Quickly Select Item From Right Click Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quickly Select Item From Right Click Menu: I just switched to Windows and am trying to learn and optimise my workflow. Something I am dearly missing is the ability to quickly select a menu item from the right click context menu, by right clicking and holding on an item, moving the cursor to the menu item, and...
  3. Quickly Select Item From Right Click Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Quickly Select Item From Right Click Menu: I just switched to Windows and am trying to learn and optimise my workflow. Something I am dearly missing is the ability to quickly select a menu item from the right click context menu, by right clicking and holding on an item, moving the cursor to the menu item, and...
  4. Right click menu is missing some menu items after Ccleaner run

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Right click menu is missing some menu items after Ccleaner run: The right click menu is missing some menu items after Ccleaner run. I first noticed this when I wanted to reload a Tab, only the Translate option was visible. I googled the problem and discovered that I could change settings inButtons in Additional Mouse Settings from L/H...
  5. right click start menu missing?????

in Windows 10 Customization
    right click start menu missing?????: i have a issues where the right click start menu windows icon does nothing anymore for some reasons i was seeing all administrator tools like command prompt event viewer or disk management but now the right click with the mouse doesnt show the 2nd menu anymore someone have...
  6. Right clicking on start menu items now has tons of options.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Right clicking on start menu items now has tons of options.: Is this from a recent update? Any way to disable it? See picture below for context -- this is the selection list from right-clicking on a Steam chat window. https://imgur.com/Fam18RT I thought it might be Steam-specific, but if I right-click on a Chrome window it now has...
  7. Start menu "recent items"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu "recent items": Hi, I have "Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar" set to Off (in the Personalization -> Start section of PC seetings), but recently opened items still appear. If I turn the setting "On, and then "Off" again, it clears the lists. But ultimately,...
  8. Right click on Start menu item, item disappears

in Windows 10 Support
    Right click on Start menu item, item disappears: A reinstall of Insider Preview. If I click on "Start", scroll to a program, Outlook, for example, when I right click the Start menu disappears.Happens with any Program, App, that I click on. There's sort of a 1 second delay before its gone. Ran an sfc /scannow and found...
  9. Right Click start menu items do not work

in Windows 10 Support
    Right Click start menu items do not work: I updated to windows 10 last week and everything worked. Now if I right click on the start menu, the context menu items other than Run, shut down, search or desktop no longer do anything. Cortana always asks me to switch my speech language, but if I ignore that it works and...
  10. Right Clicking Start Menu Items not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Right Clicking Start Menu Items not Working: Hi all. This is my first post. Using win 10. The Issue i'm having is that when I right click on the Windows Start Icon, I get a list of menu items: Apps features power options event viewer * system, device manager* network connections disk management* computer...