Windows 10: Start menu "recent items"

Discus and support Start menu "recent items" in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I have "Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar" set to Off (in the Personalization -> Start section of PC seetings), but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ejmw, Oct 27, 2018.

1. ejmw Win User

Start menu "recent items"

Hi,

I have "Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar" set to Off (in the Personalization -> Start section of PC seetings), but recently opened items still appear.

If I turn the setting "On, and then "Off" again, it clears the lists. But ultimately, the lists reappear again even with the setting turned "Off".

What can be done about this?

:)

2. BillLipe Win User

Recent Items on Start Menu in Windows 10

I am diligently looking for the Recent Items.

Jump Lists are not helpful since I have a number of programs/apps that I use.

I want to look at the Start Menu and see the Recent Files list and not be required to reach in and massage my brain in order to squeeze out the program/app that I used.

Since time immemorial (at least from Windows XP to Windows 8.1) we have had a list of recently used/opened/saved files on the Start Menu.

Would there be a "Button" that we could put on the Start Menu or the Task Bar to be able to see that list of files?

This doesn't seem to be that hard to do.

Thanks!

BillLipe, Oct 27, 2018
  3. "Recent Items" list vs Opening a folder for Recent Items

Start menu "recent items" :) Hello all... I am not understanding how MS elected removed the list of recent files and replaced it with opening a folder to see the recent files. That is now a 2 step process because you have to close the folder. I used the "recent items" a lot and I miss it - I'm sure others do ass well.
    The solutions offered here only are partial, they only add the link to the start menu / jump lists, but those still open an actual folder which then has to be closed. If you open multiple files, then you have to close multiple folders. Odd...
    I'm not a programmer - but I'm thinking (hoping!) that someone around here may be knowledgeable enough to find a way to return the actual "Recent Items" list, without opening a folder.
    I'm thinking I may not be alone on this one...
    Thank you!!

sunnyorlando, Oct 27, 2018
  4. BillLipe Win User

Recent Items on Start Menu in Windows 10

I have found that there is a line in File Explorer that is like the old Recent Items list.

It is called Quick Access.

Look for it at the top of the file list on the left side, it has a blue star next to it.

It displays Frequent Folders as well as Recent Files.

When you 'right-click' the Quick Access line you can click Pin To Start.

After pinning it to the Start Menu it will be near the bottom of the list of Apps.

I did a 'click and hold' while dragging it to the top of the Apps list.

I then 'right-clicked' the Quick Access button/icon and clicked 'Resize" and clicked 'small'.

This shows up as a small blue square with a star in it.

Just click the star and there are your recently accessed items along with frequently used folders.

BillLipe, Oct 27, 2018
Thema:

1. Start menu "recent items" - Similar Threads - Start menu recent

2. Unnamed Start Menu Item

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unnamed Start Menu Item: Hi, Under the "Other" section of my start menu is an item with no logo, "ms-resourceAppListName" which is a bit unsightly. If I click on it, it launches the People app. I can't find a way to restore the title and icon and it seems I can't uninstall the app even though I...
  3. Is it possible to show recent items as a list in start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to show recent items as a list in start menu?: The same way recently added items are shown (or any other way that isnt just a shortcut)? I have the same question for the left pane in file explorer. Is it possible to show a list like quick acess with only recent items? I know quick access can show them too. Im just...
  4. See Recent Items and Customize Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    See Recent Items and Customize Start Menu: I would like set my Win10 PC up similar to the way I have Windows 7 setup. I would like to see "Recent Items" and "Administrative Tools" on the Start Menu. Is there anyway to customize the start menu? 135642
  5. add items in menu Start

in Windows 10 Customization
    add items in menu Start: Hi to whom it may concern. I know how to insert one icon in Start Menu or in application bar but I don't know to insert VLC media reader icon in the list of Apps at left of Start Menu. Could you tell me how to do it? Thank you and Best Regards, Dario...
  6. Start menu items...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu items...: When I started up, then rechecked the standard News and weather apps. were not working in the START menu. They were working fine yesterday. 110222
  7. Start Menu Recent Items "Clear" option missing from right-click menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Recent Items "Clear" option missing from right-click menu: I used to be able to right-click on the "Recent" icon on the start menu and see an option to clear the recent files list. Now it's gone. The "Recent" icon is still there and still functions properly and lists recently opened files, but the "Clear" option is now missing from...
  8. Blank start menu items

in Windows 10 Support
    Blank start menu items: See picture. For some reason many icons have no picture and are left blank. Any idea how to fix this? [img] 23700
  9. Adding recent items to start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding recent items to start menu: Hi, Does anyone know where I can find the settings for the Start menu of Windows X? I forgot where it is. I managed to put a link of the download folder in the start menu. Forgot how I did that in the first place. Thanks. 16448
  10. Organizing Start Menu items

in Windows 10 Support
    Organizing Start Menu items: Hi. New to this forum, I was a previous member of the Seven Forums for years. I have just installed 10 and like what I see so far. Does anyone know how to: - Organize your Start Menu (i.e. delete folders and create your own folders). I am unable to right click to get...