Windows 10: Start menu reset after Windows update

Discus and support Start menu reset after Windows update in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, last night my computer installed 3 updates: (1) Cumulative Update for Windows to Version 1809 for x64-based systems (KB4512578); (2) Cumulative... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MHB07, Sep 11, 2019.

1. MHB07 Win User

Start menu reset after Windows update

Hi, last night my computer installed 3 updates: (1) Cumulative Update for Windows to Version 1809 for x64-based systems (KB4512578); (2) Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.7.2 and 4.8 for Windows 10 x64 (KB4514601); and (3) Security Update for Adobe Flash Player (KB4516115).

These updates installed as I shut down my computer for the night. When I booted up today, my start menu tiles and folders had completely reverted to default, such that none of my installed applications and programs could be accessed through the start menu or Cortana search. They had not been uninstalled, however. I can access them manually by navigating the file explorer and finding the application launcher in my program files.

Any idea how to fix this? I wouldn't be too concerned if this were simply a matter of needing to re-do my start menu customization. But I can't access any of my applications through my start menu. To re-pin them, I would essentially need to manually create shortcuts for every application by working through my file explorer.

Thanks for any help.

:)

MHB07, Sep 11, 2019

2. How do ya add to window start menu?

Make a Start menu shortcut to it in the All Programs section. Then drag it to the top left of the original Cascade menu. (Where windows update normally is).
    lol @ folder name

theonetruewill, Sep 11, 2019
  3. Naki Win User
    Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

4. Rose Cal Win User

missing icons in start menu

Hi Wickiwizard,

It is possible that the icon of your apps in Start menu is missing due to a corrupted system files. To provide you the accurate resolution, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Does this happen only with icons in Start menu?
    • What troubleshooting steps you've done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps in this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot problems with Start menu or Cortana.

If the issue still persists, we recommend that you follow the suggestion shared by
    Meliton Dec on this thread.
    The given troubleshooting steps will help repair or reset not only missing apps but also lost icon.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Sep 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Start menu reset after Windows update - Similar Threads - Start menu reset

2. Blank start menu after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank start menu after update: I updated my Windows 10 and now I have blank start menu. I dont know if it caused by the update but that is the only change I made I think. If you have suggestions please go ahead. I have Windows 10 21h1....
  3. Blank start menu after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blank start menu after update: I updated my Windows 10 and now I have blank start menu. I dont know if it caused by the update but that is the only change I made I think. If you have suggestions please go ahead. I have Windows 10 21h1....
  4. Blank start menu after update

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. No start menu or other icons after reset - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No start menu or other icons after reset - Windows 11: When resetting my computer or turning it on for the day and logging into any of my accounts the center taskbar icons fail to load. I did notice the left and right-side taskbar function as intended but only the center icons fail to load. In order to remedy this, I have had to...
  6. No start menu or other icons after reset - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No start menu or other icons after reset - Windows 11: When resetting my computer or turning it on for the day and logging into any of my accounts the center taskbar icons fail to load. I did notice the left and right-side taskbar function as intended but only the center icons fail to load. In order to remedy this, I have had to...
  7. Start menu not working after Windows update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu not working after Windows update: Okay, I know this issue has existed already but my Start menu stopped working after last night's update. My apps for work (Slack, Zoom) and Chrome are fine but I couldn't view the volume icons as well and everything in the task bar. I also got an error message when I attempt...
  8. Windows 10 start Menu resets to default after reboot

Windows 10 start Menu resets to default after reboot: Hello, i recently purchased new windows 10 laptop. Everything runs smooth however, whenever i try to change my menu layout or try to unpin applications from the start menu, it gets reset after rebooting the system. How can i fix this issue?...
  9. Start menu resets after reboot

Start menu resets after reboot: Hi I bought and received a new computer with Win 10 Family 64bits just today, and it worked fine at first, I deleted some apps, installed a couple of softwares and stuff. Then I decided to clean the start menu. I rebooted, and after the reboot, the start menu is exactly...
  10. Start menu after the anniversary update

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu after the anniversary update: Hello As mentioned I updated my windows 10 yesterday, it took a while but finally it went all good. However some things are bugging me crazy after the process. The menu start before the update used to show only the tiles, now after the new version being brought the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4512578)

2. KB4514601 descargar