Windows 10: Start menu resets after reboot

Discus and support Start menu resets after reboot in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi I bought and received a new computer with Win 10 Family 64bits just today, and it worked fine at first, I deleted some apps, installed a couple of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Romano338, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Romano338 Win User

Start menu resets after reboot

Hi

I bought and received a new computer with Win 10 Family 64bits just today, and it worked fine at first, I deleted some apps, installed a couple of softwares and stuff.

Then I decided to clean the start menu. I rebooted, and after the reboot, the start menu is exactly what it was before I cleaned it.

Since, everytime I reboot, it does the same.

I read hundreds of messages on internet of people having the same issue, since october 2018.

I read a lot of "fixes" that don't really work for everybody (meaning it's not a real fix).

Is Microsoft working on that? I doubt it, since it has been there for at least 6 months.

Is there no solution? Are there really hundreds of people who have had that issue for 6 months and learned to live with it?

Thanks

:)

Romano338, Mar 9, 2019

2. start menue

We appreciate your response and the information provided. We suggest that you follow these troubleshooting steps and see if they help:

• Start a CMD window (Windows-X, Command Prompt)
    • Then type in C:\windows\system32\tdlrecover.exe -reregister -resetlayout -resetcache

Reboot is not required but a quick reboot may clear up any residual issues after the command is run.

Disclaimer: Corruption recovery removes any manual pins from
    Start menu
    . Apps should still be visible, but you’ll need to re-pin any secondary tiles and/or pin app tiles to the main Start view.

We're looking forward to your feedback.

Carlos Tin, Mar 9, 2019
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    missing icons in start menu

Hi Wickiwizard,

It is possible that the icon of your apps in Start menu is missing due to a corrupted system files. To provide you the accurate resolution, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Does this happen only with icons in Start menu?
    • What troubleshooting steps you've done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps in this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot problems with Start menu or Cortana.

If the issue still persists, we recommend that you follow the suggestion shared by
    Meliton Dec on this thread.
    The given troubleshooting steps will help repair or reset not only missing apps but also lost icon.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Mar 9, 2019
  4. Start menu resets after reboot

Windows 10 Start menu is empty

Hi. Steps 1 and 2 didn't do much but step 3 has restored what looks like the list of original Microsoft apps but no sign of any of the many apps I have installed. And there are no tiles in the start menu. Any suggestions please?

LesGrant42, Mar 9, 2019
Thema:

Start menu resets after reboot

1. Start menu resets after reboot - Similar Threads - Start menu resets

2. Start menu reset after Windows update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu reset after Windows update: Hi, last night my computer installed 3 updates: (1) Cumulative Update for Windows to Version 1809 for x64-based systems (KB4512578); (2) Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.7.2 and 4.8 for Windows 10 x64 (KB4514601); and (3) Security Update for Adobe Flash Player...
  3. Start Menu resetting to default after every restart.

Start Menu resetting to default after every restart.: Hi, I've reset my PC recently, and since then, my Start Menu keeps resetting to its default after restarting my PC. Also, when I try to pin any apps to the Start Menu, they don't physically appear in the menu. But when I right click the app again, the option "unpin from...
  4. Windows 10 start Menu resets to default after reboot

Windows 10 start Menu resets to default after reboot: Hello, i recently purchased new windows 10 laptop. Everything runs smooth however, whenever i try to change my menu layout or try to unpin applications from the start menu, it gets reset after rebooting the system. How can i fix this issue?...
  5. Personalising the Start menu doesn't save after reboot

Personalising the Start menu doesn't save after reboot: Since the automatic upgrade this week for Windows many of my settings were reset including the Start Menu / Task Bar. I have personalised both since the upgrade. The task bar icons stay personalised after reboot. However the Start Menu resets each time. Am I missing a...
  6. Start menu tiles are refreshing after reboot.

Start menu tiles are refreshing after reboot.: Ever since i reinstalled windows ive been having a problem with the start menu. My tiles are refreshing after i reboot no matter if i unpin them or replace them with another tile / app every time i restart my computer i am greeted with the default tiles given by microsoft....
  7. Start menu tiles greying out after a reboot

Start menu tiles greying out after a reboot: Is anyone else having this problem? Whenever I reboot, some of my Start menu apps tiles are resized and greyed out. Manually resizing them and repositioning them is a workaround but that shoudn't be necessary in the first place. Seems like a simple problem with a hopefully...
  8. Reboot resets start menu to default

Reboot resets start menu to default: After the latest update my Start Menu always resets to default after every start/restart. I've done everything to fix the issue I've found in other forums (removing registry key & checking video drivers) when this issue has popped up before except create a new admin profile....
  9. Start Menu not working after latest forced reboot.

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu not working after latest forced reboot.: My machine reboot last night, likely due to an update that got pushed out, and now I can no longer click on the start menu. Windows key does not pull it up either. Also, the volume button in the bottom right of the screen, I cannot click on that either. I can right click on...
  10. Start menu tiles invisible, reappear after reboot or sign-in

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu tiles invisible, reappear after reboot or sign-in: This is on a custom-built machine upgraded from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro. See screenshot. Left my computer idle for a while. Came back to that on the start screen. This also happened last night under the same seemingly random conditions. Unsure of what caused it, but logging out and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. start menu resets to default after update