Windows 10: Start Menu restarts explorer.exe, and Search Box not working

Discus and support Start Menu restarts explorer.exe, and Search Box not working in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Suddenly this night I turn on my laptop and now everytime I open and try to use the Start Menu the Windows Explorer restarts out of nowhere. I've tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JokairaSantos, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Start Menu restarts explorer.exe, and Search Box not working

Suddenly this night I turn on my laptop and now everytime I open and try to use the Start Menu the Windows Explorer restarts out of nowhere. I've tried doing a clean boot, searched for updates, scanned with Windows Defender, used sfc /scannow and dism.exe, and still nothing.

Also, the Search Box doesn't work at all, not even inside Windows Explorer.

Everything else works perfectly fine. How can I fix this?

:)

JokairaSantos, Jul 5, 2020

2. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Jul 5, 2020
  3. start menu, search assistant and notification tray not working

Hi,

As you’re not able to open start menu, search assistant and notification tray, we would assist you surely.

Before I proceed further I would like to know the below information.

• Did you make any changes prior to this issue?

• Is that the issue persist with the particular application mention in the issue? Or with all the apps installed on Windows.

• Which Windows 10 build is installed on the system?

• I suggest you to try the below steps to fix the error “explorer.exe- class not registered “which would fix
      the issue, followed by the steps mentioned in the issue.

Method 1: End the Windows Explorer process and create the new one.

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc, under
      Process tab, search for Windows Explorer.
    • Right click on it and click on End task.
    • Click on File in the
      Task Manager
      at top left corner of the window and select Run new task.
    • Type explorer.exe and click on
      Ok.

Method 2: I suggest you to try the Troubleshoot steps provided in the link to
    run the latest updates, and creating a new user account. Which would fix the Start menu or Cortana issue.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Method 3: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Hope this suggestion will help you in fixing the error, please revert back with the update regarding the issue. We would assist you happily.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Jul 5, 2020
  4. Start Menu restarts explorer.exe, and Search Box not working

Start menu, search box, photo apps, MS Egde, ect. is not working

Hi Harsh,

Thanks for your kind reply. Following the steps you mentioned i was able to run those scripts and later i restarted my laptop... then start menu, search box, photo app started to work but not the MS Edge.. plz help!!!

Thanks again!

PEIZHIDk94628, Jul 5, 2020
Thema:

Start Menu restarts explorer.exe, and Search Box not working

1. Start Menu restarts explorer.exe, and Search Box not working - Similar Threads - Start Menu restarts

2. Windows Seach Box in Start Menu and Search Box of File Explorer/ Control Panel are not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Seach Box in Start Menu and Search Box of File Explorer/ Control Panel are not working.: Actually I'm experiencing a Problem with the Search Box in the Taskbar, I am using Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 OS Build 18363.418 I can Never open that Search Box at all! even the Windows logo key + S is not Working.. Even for search option of File Explorer & Control Panel...
  3. Windows Seach Box in Start Menu and Search Box of File Explorer/ Control Panel are not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Seach Box in Start Menu and Search Box of File Explorer/ Control Panel are not working.: Actually I'm experiencing a Problem with the Search Box in the Taskbar, I am using Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 OS Build 18363.418 I can Never open that Search Box at all! even the Windows logo key + S is not Working.. Even for search option of File Explorer & Control Panel...
  4. Windows Seach Box in Start Menu and Search Box of File Explorer/ Control Panel are not working.

in Cortana
  5. Start menu and search box become unresponsive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu and search box become unresponsive: I'm running the latest version of Windows, but this started before I upgraded. Whenever it happens, I have to restart the Windows Explorer service to get it to start back. I've looked at the Event Viewer, but nothing seems to jump out. The 2 warnings I see a lot are the...
  6. Windows Explorer search and Start Menu not working*

in Cortana
    Windows Explorer search and Start Menu not working*: About three days ago I noticed that my Search Button and searching in general wasn't working and the Start Menu was more or less broken. I tried almost every solution I could find - like running sfc /scannow or DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, that sort of thing -...
  7. Start Menu Search Box Suddenly Changed

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Search Box Suddenly Changed: Where you see the Start Menu for Windows 10 on the lower left side of your screen, there is usually a white box which reads 'Type here to search'. I can no longer type anything there on my desktop or laptop. I now get a black popup that has some apps at the top and other...
  8. search in start menu and "search box" on task bar not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    search in start menu and "search box" on task bar not working: Hello, no idea why but typing in my start menu and search box suddenly doesn't work. Oddly after playing around with powershell and some tips online (see below) I have gone from nothing appearing in the search box when I type to only the first character of whatever I type...
  9. Windows 10 Start Menu, Settings & Search Box Not Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Start Menu, Settings & Search Box Not Working: My laptop is running Windows 10 Home 32 bit, version 1803. When I try to access the start menu, use the search box or access any settings in Windows 10 nothing happens. I've tried restoring Windows, including a full reset and reinstall and the problem persists. I...
  10. cortana search box and start menu optimization

in Cortana
    cortana search box and start menu optimization: Hi, Just suggesting the option to pin (or add) the cortana search box to the tile side of the start menu. ie. click start, input goes to cortana search box within start menu, enter search, all or half of tile side turn into regular cortana search menu with results. tbh I'm...