Windows 10: Start Menu, Search, and Volume toggle in Notification area not working

Discus and support Start Menu, Search, and Volume toggle in Notification area not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So, this last update seems to have killed the start menu again. After reboot, it might work, it might not, but not too long there-after it just quits... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by musiclover7, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Start Menu, Search, and Volume toggle in Notification area not working

So, this last update seems to have killed the start menu again. After reboot, it might work, it might not, but not too long there-after it just quits working all-together if it was working before. Same with search and Volume toggle. Dang! Mines an AMD machine which is perhaps a factor.

:)

musiclover7, Aug 18, 2015

2. Sound Icon missing in notification area in windows 10

Hello Gary,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

Please follow the below steps to turn on the notification for volume icon in the taskbar.

• Right click on the Start menu and select Control Panel and type the word 'taskbar' in the search box from the upper-right side. Once the search results are loaded, click on the link that says
      Customize the taskbar.
    • Then select Customize under Notification Area.
    • Click on Turn system icons on or off and toggle the option for Volume to
      on

The Volume Mixer icon will now show up in the notification area of your taskbar.

Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further assistance, we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Aug 18, 2015
  3. Need Help In How To Delete An Icon.....

Open Start > Settings > Personalization > Taskbar >

Scroll down to the Notification area

Click Turn system icons on or off

You should see a Volume

Toggle it on

Click Back, under Notification area

Click 'Select which icons appear on the taskbar'

Make sure Volume is also toggled on there.

Changing these settings will not affect or remove other system icons or settings.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 18, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

Start Menu, Search, and Volume toggle in Notification area not working

AMD is just the APU/CPU/GPU. That is not who made it. You still have to install the apps from the manufacturer of the machine or motherboard for those features.

bro67, Aug 18, 2015
  5. Bazz Win User
    I'm AMD and mine is ok did you think to do a restore point or system image before you installed the update. I'm doing this with every update since I upgraded.

6. I did not. I naively assumed that since we are now prime time, out of insider testing, that something like this just would not happen. Plus, I have been having other troubles, so I keep hoping the next update will fix those. Now I am hoping the next update will fix the start menu problems like it did before. Here's hoping.

musiclover7, Aug 18, 2015
  7. Bazz Win User
    You can uninstall the latest update and MS have released a tool to prevent it reinstalling https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3073930

8. Start Menu, Search, and Volume toggle in Notification area not working

How do I launch windows update without a start menu?

musiclover7, Aug 19, 2015
  9. Well.. I restarted my machine today and it started an update cycle, which got me hopeful as I am getting sick of having to browse program folders to find executables that are not yet linked on my taskbar or desktop. Took a little while for updates to install, but I am sad to report that after update, I am still in the same crap situation. I don't know which update messed me up, but it definitely begs the question... Are we still in Beta here? Because I recall having a better experience when we were still in Beta quite honestly. Heck, even pre-Beta. This is nothing short of rough.

Also worth noting. I can no longer make use of Microsoft Edge. It crashes about 2 seconds after launch. So basically, every new feature in 10 is cut off from me as near as I can tell at this point.

musiclover7, Aug 20, 2015
  10. vegasf1 Win User
    I have the same problem, but I have an intel processor so it's definitely not an amd issue.

vegasf1, Aug 20, 2015
  11. I just discovered that the calculator app is also not working. *Sad

musiclover7, Aug 25, 2015
  12. I was able to resolve the issue last night by completing a clean install of Windows 10. I loaded graphics driver manually from website after install, and then later installed all updates via windows update. Good to go after multiple reboots.

musiclover7, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start Menu, Search, and Volume toggle in Notification area not working

1. Start Menu, Search, and Volume toggle in Notification area not working - Similar Threads - Start Menu Search

2. Start menu search not working?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu search not working?: Hello! I discovered a few days ago that my start menu/task bar search menu no longer works. When I click either, I am unable to type. Additionally, I have noticed that when I open the start menu, I no longer have any 'recommended's on display:Does anyone have a guess as to...
  3. Setting, start menu, notification center, search menu not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting, start menu, notification center, search menu not working: Hello, after recent updates from Windows, I've found a lot of problems. I can't access the start menu, search menu, action center, task bar, as well as setting. When I try to use the keyboard shortcut to open the settings, it said something along the line like 'Class Not...
  4. notification area not working

notification area not working: my action center, sound option, battery option, calendar option, wifi option which are on the right corner of thetaskbar are not opening even after clicking millions of times...
  5. Start menu, settings, search and notifications are not opening

Start menu, settings, search and notifications are not opening: Since a few days I cannot open any standard microsoft apps. While typing this I also noticed that pressing anything like sound, internet icon, language or battery on the taskbar doesn't work either. Sadly there doesn't seem to be a new update for Windows 10, and installing...
  6. Toggle start menu on and off?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Toggle start menu on and off?: I have a habit of opening like 5-6 apps when I log in. Is it possible to have my start menu NOT go down when I click on a pinned program? I hit start > discord > start > battle.net > start > folder location > start > Minecraft > steam Is there a way I can hit all those apps...
  7. problem with start menu, search and new notifications

in Windows 10 Support
    problem with start menu, search and new notifications: I'm having a problem with the start menu, search and new notifications not responding to a click. I think it might be tied to the fact I am using a local logon only. I have created a new user that logs onto Microsoft that doesn't seem to have this problem. I saw this in the...
  8. Start Menu , Search and Notifications not work

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu , Search and Notifications not work: Hello , suddenly my start menu , search and notifications not work. Even if i click on it it dont opens. I did this solution with this copy pasta at PowerShell but dont works : Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register...
  9. Surface 4 start menu and notification area stop working

in Windows 10 Support
    Surface 4 start menu and notification area stop working: Hello! I got a new surface4. After debugging and re-installationtion i can't find out of the problem. After a day or 2 everything stop working. Start menu system settings and everything i need. It's a really clean install windows 10 enterprise, office 2016. Just to keep...
  10. Start menu, settings and notification area won't open.

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu, settings and notification area won't open.: When I click on the start button, nothing happens. It highlights when I hover over it, but doesn't react to being clicked. The same is true for the notification area. I can right click on the start button and it provides the normal options. Again the same is true of the...