Windows 10: Start Menu, Search bar, Internet Explorer, and Windows Defender stopped working or crashes....

Discus and support Start Menu, Search bar, Internet Explorer, and Windows Defender stopped working or crashes.... in Cortana to solve the problem; Hi all, Start Menu, Search bar, Internet Explorer, and Windows Defender all of a sudden stopped working. Whenever I try opening explorer, search, or... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by AJGC15, Dec 6, 2019.

1. AJGC15 Win User

Start Menu, Search bar, Internet Explorer, and Windows Defender stopped working or crashes....

Hi all,

Start Menu, Search bar, Internet Explorer, and Windows Defender all of a sudden stopped working. Whenever I try opening explorer, search, or defender, it would open the browser then all of a sudden crash without going into menu screen in the browser. For the start menu, whenever I click the windows icon or the press the windows key on the keyboard, the cursor would show the loading sign but the start menu will not open.

I have tried most options including using the power shell command and command prompt lines to reinstall windows apps and also tried lines that restore windows settings. I have not tried re-installing windows since it would uninstall applications which I cant find the installer for anymore, I would hope to do this as a last resort.

Also, I made sure that my windows is updated. So i am not sure what the problem is.

Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks all!

:)

AJGC15, Dec 6, 2019
  2. Pavan_N Win User

internet explorer has stopped working

Hi Lawrence,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

What is the exact error message you get?

I suggest you to refer the link below and follow the troubleshooting steps suggested.

What to do when Internet Explorer isn't working.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie-crashes-stops-working#ie=ie-11

Do let us know if Internet Explorer started working. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Dec 6, 2019
  3. Internet Explorer has stopped working

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing Internet Explorer on your device as it crashes.

Do let us know:

• If you have made any changes to the operating system that might have resulted in causing this issue?
    • If you were able to see any error code/ error message when Internet Explorer crashes?

Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run the Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter.

• Press Windows key, type troubleshooting
      and select it.
    • Click on View all in the left pane.
    • Click onInternet Explorer Performance and follow the onscreen instructions.

Step 2: I suggest you to perform some of the troubleshooting steps from the link below link, Turn off add-ons, Reset Internet Explorer Settings, Open the page in Compatibility View etc. and check if it helps:

What to do when Internet Explorer isn't working

Disclaimer: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings
    feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you
    use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature. Also re-enable the add-ons..

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance on this issue. We will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 6, 2019
  4. Start Menu, Search bar, Internet Explorer, and Windows Defender stopped working or crashes....

Internet Explorer is slow, crashing, freezing

Hi Albert,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Method 1: I would suggest you to run the Internet Explorer performance troubleshooter which would tell us the reason behind the issue and check.

Follow these steps to run Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter.

• Click on search and type troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Run Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter.

Method 2: Follow the steps suggested in this link and check if it helps.

What to do when Internet Explorer isn't working

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/internet-explorer/ie-crashes-stops-working#ie=ie-11

Reset Internet Explorer disclaimer: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature
    might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Method 3: I would suggest you to run
    System Maintenance Troubleshooter
    and check if it helps:

• Press Windows + X key. 
    • Select Control panel.
    • In the search box, type Troubleshooter and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Under System and Security,
    • Click on System Maintenance and Click on Next button.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Dec 6, 2019
Thema:

Start Menu, Search bar, Internet Explorer, and Windows Defender stopped working or crashes....

1. Start Menu, Search bar, Internet Explorer, and Windows Defender stopped working or crashes.... - Similar Threads - Start Menu Search

2. Start Menu and Windows Search bar not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu and Windows Search bar not working: My Start Menu and Windows Search bar are not opening up on my Windows 11 HP laptop. I have already tried resetting the device, checking for updates, restarting Windows Explorer, and updating the driver. Unfortunately, nothing seems to work. Please help me with this problem....
  3. Start Menu and Windows Search bar not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu and Windows Search bar not working: My Start Menu and Windows Search bar are not opening up on my Windows 11 HP laptop. I have already tried resetting the device, checking for updates, restarting Windows Explorer, and updating the driver. Unfortunately, nothing seems to work. Please help me with this problem....
  4. Search and Start Menu Stopped Working

in Cortana
    Search and Start Menu Stopped Working: Windows searched suddenly stopped working for me, and it's become extremely annoying. I can't click in the search box in either the taskbar or windows explorer. It looks like something resets and I can't type anything in either window. Furthermore, clicking on anything in the...
  5. Search and Start Menu Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search and Start Menu Stopped Working: Windows searched suddenly stopped working for me, and it's become extremely annoying. I can't click in the search box in either the taskbar or windows explorer. It looks like something resets and I can't type anything in either window. Furthermore, clicking on anything in the...
  6. Search and Start Menu Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. start menu search bar not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    start menu search bar not working: Whenever I click on Start or press the Windows key the start menu won't open. Also, I can't use my search bar. Another problem is that most of my programs that I have installed won't open. For example, whenever I click on Word, Excel, or any app it just keep reloading and...
  8. Search Bar in file explorer and in start menu isn't working

in Cortana
    Search Bar in file explorer and in start menu isn't working: I noticed that the search bar in the start menu and in the file explorer isn't working 2 weeks from using the clipboard feature Windows+V on two of my devices which makes my life so hard, I can paste text in it but can't type in it I did the power shell solution it worked for...
  9. Start menu and search bar not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu and search bar not working: When I click on start menu or search bar nothing happen's, this is the same when I try to use the windows button to open the start menu but it works for other things such as windows + L to lock the screen. This the same across all account's on my computer even if I create new...
  10. Windows start menu and search bar not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows start menu and search bar not working: Yesterday I updated a pc to windows 10 version 1909 and applied all the recent updates. After this, when I tried to open the start menu or use the search bar nothing would work. Even the windows key did nothing. Not knowing if this was a standalone fault I updated another pc...