Windows 10: Start Menu Search Can't Find Installed Apps

Discus and support Start Menu Search Can't Find Installed Apps in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've noticed now on multiple computers I've installed Windows 10 on, that a quick win-key search isn't able to bring up installed apps. I'm sure this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Michael, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Michael Win User

Start Menu Search Can't Find Installed Apps

I've noticed now on multiple computers I've installed Windows 10 on, that a quick win-key search isn't able to bring up installed apps. I'm sure this isn't how it's meant to be, and that there must be a fix... right?

:)

Michael, Jul 30, 2015

2. Start Menu Search Doesn't Find Installed Apps

Just migrated to a new PC and re-installed all my apps. In many installs there's an option (default checked) to 'Add to Start Menu' which I always use. On some older apps, I navigate to the executable and right click and do an 'Add to Start Menu' I see
    the apps appear in the start menu.

However the way I launch most of my apps is hit the start key and then start typing the application now. On my old PC which also was running Windows 10, it always found the app. On this new PC, despite seeing the app in the Start Menu, it doesn't find
    it.

In my Search Indexing Settting (Control Panel > Indexing Options) 'Start Menu' is included as one of the locations.

I am perplexed.

Consultant1027, Jul 30, 2015
  3. Start Menu Search Doesn't Find Installed Apps

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We do understand your concern and we will be happy to help you regarding this.

I request you to try the troubleshooter in the following article below:

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

I hope this helps you. If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Jul 30, 2015
  4. Michael Win User

Hmm.. after a couple of restarts, trying it again now, it seems to be working. Problem solved, it would seem.

Michael, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Michael Win User
    Nope. My start menu is broken. Search just doesn't seem to be indexing the contents of the "All apps" folders. At least not in a timely fashion. Being able to launch an app by searching for it is all the more essential now that we're stuck with this low density, large icon arrangement (can that be changed, by the way?)...

What can be done to get Windows to index the start menu apps in real-time? It's been at least an hour and one system restart since I installed the latest unsearchable app.

Michael, Aug 7, 2015
  6. Nietz Win User
    I have the same problem. Did you find a solution?

Nietz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start Menu Search Can't Find Installed Apps - Similar Threads - Start Menu Search

2. Start menu search not returning installed apps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu search not returning installed apps: Hello there, The start menu search won't return some applications when i search them, i'd like to have the same behavior like the previous windows version. I have checked that the application in background checkbox is checked in the privacy settings, but it doesn't help, any...
  3. Start Menu Search not finding all apps and programms

Start Menu Search not finding all apps and programms: I use the start menu search for opening up apps instead of having a bloated task bar but at some point Windows 10 stopped working showing results properly for everything. E.g. when I updated MS office, windows button + type away for example "word" will show the not even...
  4. Win 10 Start Menu Search not finding installed programs

Win 10 Start Menu Search not finding installed programs: I've been having an issue for a while where the Win 10 Start Menu Search is not finding many of the program I have installed, it will find some but many are missing. I can scroll down on the Start menu and find the "missing" programs but if I use search(press start menu and...
  5. Windows 10 Pro. Start menu search is not finding any installed apps

Windows 10 Pro. Start menu search is not finding any installed apps: E.g. if I press start key and type 'e', excel should come up. But it doesn't. Literally nothing I have installed is found so I have to scroll through the entire search menu wondering where the fuck my apps are. submitted by /u/Spencer_Nolan_Rice [link] [comments]...
  6. Can't find programs using the start menu search

in Cortana
    Can't find programs using the start menu search: Recently I am no longer able to find any programs using the start menu search, it just gives me things like downloaded files. For example, I can't find the control panel by typing in "control panel"....
  7. Start menu search can't find some applications

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu search can't find some applications: I am unable to search for some applications on my new laptop. I have tried rebuilding the index and restarting twice now with these options: [img] For example, both Chrome and Firefox are installed and have icons in the start menu, both show up under "Most Used" and both...
  8. Start menu search not finding applications?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu search not finding applications?: Hi, I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. However once i install programs like Office 2013 i can't find the application exe files by searching in the start menu. If i search for outlook or word in the start menu nothing shows up, this was not an issue in...
  9. Windows 10 Start Search can't find stuff in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start Search can't find stuff in Start Menu: Hi I have a clean install of windows 10 with bootcamp on a macbook 13 early 2015 using the iso downloaded from microsoft. I've also enabled compact os. I have this same problem: Windows 10 Search can't find ANY applications. Even calculator - Super User it seems. Win+S...
  10. Start Menu search not finding files

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu search not finding files: When I go to search for files (such as images/videos) through the Start Menu search (Cortana), files do not appear in results. The only way I can actually find these files is to manually click the "More" dropdown and select whichever file type it is (photos, videos, music...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. searching start menu doesnt bring up any installed apps