Windows 10: Start menu search can't find some applications

Discus and support Start menu search can't find some applications in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am unable to search for some applications on my new laptop. I have tried rebuilding the index and restarting twice now with these options: [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by chrisan, May 13, 2018.

1. chrisan Win User

Start menu search can't find some applications

I am unable to search for some applications on my new laptop. I have tried rebuilding the index and restarting twice now with these options:

Start menu search can't find some applications [​IMG]

For example, both Chrome and Firefox are installed and have icons in the start menu, both show up under "Most Used" and both are listed under their letters in the listing, but only Chrome shows up under search.

:)

chrisan, May 13, 2018
  2. Pr2459 Win User

windows 10 start menu search can not find some apps

When I search app by clicking on the start menu, I can find some applications but not the other. For example I can't find Word, but I can search and find Outlook. I can find Adobe Illustrator but not Photoshop even though they were installed together.
    These applications are all listed in the Start menu but search can't find them. I tried reindexing, re-install windows in-place, but none has solved the problem. Anyone has any idea?

Pr2459, May 21, 2018
  3. Searching (from the Start menu) only finds some of my files

Hi Mike,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about searching files from the Start menu.

I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check:

Step 1: Run the Performance troubleshooter.

Performance troubleshooter finds and clean up unused files and shortcuts and performs maintenance tasks.

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the
      Search
      box and hit Enter.

• Select “System Maintenance” from the
      Troubleshooter window.

• Select “Advance” and click on “Run as Administrator”.

• Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Step 2: I suggest you to
    restart Windows Search service.

Windows Search service provides content indexing, property caching and search results for files, e-mails and other contents.

• Click Start, type
      Services.msc in the Start Search box.

• Scroll down the list of services, right-click
      Windows Search and select Start.

• Also, right-click
      and select Properties for
      Windows Search and set its Startup Type to
      Automatic.

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for further assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, May 21, 2018
Thema:

Start menu search can't find some applications

1. Start menu search can't find some applications - Similar Threads - Start menu search

2. Why are icons of some applications are appearing in start menu but not search menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why are icons of some applications are appearing in start menu but not search menu?: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/3w4fhzigtbra1.png?width=649&format=png&auto=webp&s=c86e5e7427ac69cabfd38af3090440d644db8d5f https://preview.redd.it/ynk9qyigtbra1.png?width=652&format=png&auto=webp&s=062ee9ea000bac08e84f0c9dccf322f553c0b38b...
  3. Start menu not showing applications after searching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu not showing applications after searching: Hello,I have been facing this issue since a couple of days now, where when I go to the search bar in the start menu and type an app name, say for example "discord", I don't see the application on my system which I have, but the browser results and other things which are not...
  4. Start menu not showing applications after searching

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu not showing applications after searching: Hello,I have been facing this issue since a couple of days now, where when I go to the search bar in the start menu and type an app name, say for example "discord", I don't see the application on my system which I have, but the browser results and other things which are not...
  5. Start menu not showing applications after searching

in Cortana
  6. Can't find programs using the start menu search

in Cortana
    Can't find programs using the start menu search: Recently I am no longer able to find any programs using the start menu search, it just gives me things like downloaded files. For example, I can't find the control panel by typing in "control panel"....
  7. Start menu search not finding applications?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu search not finding applications?: Hi, I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. However once i install programs like Office 2013 i can't find the application exe files by searching in the start menu. If i search for outlook or word in the start menu nothing shows up, this was not an issue in...
  8. Windows 10 Start Search can't find stuff in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start Search can't find stuff in Start Menu: Hi I have a clean install of windows 10 with bootcamp on a macbook 13 early 2015 using the iso downloaded from microsoft. I've also enabled compact os. I have this same problem: Windows 10 Search can't find ANY applications. Even calculator - Super User it seems. Win+S...
  9. Start Menu Search Can't Find Installed Apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Search Can't Find Installed Apps: I've noticed now on multiple computers I've installed Windows 10 on, that a quick win-key search isn't able to bring up installed apps. I'm sure this isn't how it's meant to be, and that there must be a fix... right? 10556
  10. Start Menu search not finding files

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu search not finding files: When I go to search for files (such as images/videos) through the Start Menu search (Cortana), files do not appear in results. The only way I can actually find these files is to manually click the "More" dropdown and select whichever file type it is (photos, videos, music...