Windows 10: Start menu/Search doesn't close automatically

Discus and support Start menu/Search doesn't close automatically in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello! I have a problem that has been annoying me for the last couple of months, and I cannot keep using my Surface and Acer Laptop like that any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Kristian..., Mar 27, 2021.

1. Start menu/Search doesn't close automatically

Hello!

I have a problem that has been annoying me for the last couple of months, and I cannot keep using my Surface and Acer Laptop like that any longer!

Whenever I press the Windows key or use the search dialog and search for a folder, and press enter, windows explorer opens that folder, but the search dialog does not close. So Windows explorer opens in the background, and starts blinking in the taskbar because it's blocked by the search dialog. I always have to press Escape and choose explorer in the taskbar, which is so annoying if you have to work with a lot of folders. The same happens if you pin a tile with a folder onto the start menu. If you click it, the start menu does not close, and explorer opens in the background. It's especially annoying if you set your start menu to open full screen.

I have this problem on both my Surface Pro 7 as well as my Acer Aspire.

Please help! Does anyone have a solution to that problem? I know that not everybody has this bug. A colleague of mine does not have this bug, but my brother and my parents both do...

Best regards,

Kristian

:)

Kristian..., Mar 27, 2021
  2. BetoLP Win User

Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

Start menu/Search doesn't close automatically [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Mar 27, 2021
  3. Ramon Imp Win User
    Start menu doesn`t work, and the search button too

Hi,

For us to assist you more effectively, we would like to know the following:

• What's the make and model of your computer?
    • Are you getting any error messages when using the Start Menu and search field?
    • Did you make any changes to your computer prior to the issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you taken to resolve the problem aside from PowerShell?

We'll be waiting for your reply so we could help you out.

Ramon Imp, Mar 27, 2021
  4. BetoLP Win User

Start menu/Search doesn't close automatically

Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks for your answer, ken!
    I deleted all my data. I had have it backed up.

I did a clean installation using the windows media creation tool (usb option).

No, I didn`t. I thought a clean installation would solve the problem.

After posting my previous message, I did it.

Start menu/Search doesn't close automatically [​IMG]

After chkdsk, I close cmd and tried to boot and the laptop just turned it off. This morning I`ve restarted it and automatically windows did a repair. Windows has booted and it seems that the repair tool has removed chrome and acrobat pdf reader (the only two programs I had installed after reinstalling windows).

Now Windows is installing updates and restarting my lapop, I`m kind of frightened. I don`t want it to happen again. Anyhow, I want to know what has brought the issue

I`ve been looking for information about the error code at the end of the picture and I didn`t get anywhere.

BetoLP, Mar 27, 2021
Thema:

Start menu/Search doesn't close automatically

1. Start menu/Search doesn't close automatically - Similar Threads - Start menu Search

2. The start menu is automatically closing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The start menu is automatically closing: For the past day or so, every time I open start menu from the windows key and try to click on anything, it freezes and closes itself. Even when I leave it idle, it closes itself after 2-3 seconds automatically. Search is running fine but anything other than that is not. I am...
  3. The start menu is automatically closing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The start menu is automatically closing: For the past day or so, every time I open start menu from the windows key and try to click on anything, it freezes and closes itself. Even when I leave it idle, it closes itself after 2-3 seconds automatically. Search is running fine but anything other than that is not. I am...
  4. The start menu is automatically closing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Start menu won't automatically close

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu won't automatically close: Hello ,i have an issue with the start menu , i always press windows key and start searching something with typing when i find the folder i need i press enter before this issue start menu was closing and i could use the keyboard to move in the folder to choose what pdf i need...
  6. Start menu won't automatically close

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu won't automatically close: Hello ,i have an issue with the start menu , i always press windows key and start searching something with typing when i find the folder i need i press enter before this issue start menu was closing and i could use the keyboard to move in the folder to choose what pdf i need...
  7. Start menu won't automatically close

8. Start search bar automatically closing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start search bar automatically closing: When i open my start search bar and type "a or d or f or L" character, it automatically closes down and i can't write words containing these letters. When this happens, I am also not able to drag the shortcut icons from one place to another on my desktop. I tried the...
  9. Windows Start Menu doesn't close automatically

Windows Start Menu doesn't close automatically: I'm running Windows 10 and up to date. When I open the Windows Start Menu and launch an app, the menu stays open. My work laptop is running Windows 10 but the menu automatically closes when I launch an app. Is there a setting to change that?...
  10. Automatically search files in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Automatically search files in start menu: In Windows 7 I type xxxx.txt and it searches the file in the indexed files. In Windows 10 I have to type Find in Documents. How do I make it searches in my files without clicking a second time ? 9159