Windows 10: Start menu search hangs if right-click, Run as Admin is used.

Discus and support Start menu search hangs if right-click, Run as Admin is used. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If I use the start menu search bar for items such as Notepad, CMD etc. and do right click run as administrator Nothing happens. If I simply double... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by reddwarf4ever, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Start menu search hangs if right-click, Run as Admin is used.

If I use the start menu search bar for items such as Notepad, CMD etc. and do right click run as administrator Nothing happens. If I simply double click then it launches ok, i have ticked the run as administrator in the file / shortcut properties, so double clicking does run as administrator. Just wonder why right click run as administrator does nothing at all. have ran DISM and SFC, SFC found and corrected some errors, also did a repair install successfully thanks

:)

reddwarf4ever, Jun 11, 2021

2. search menu in start

Hi,

To better assist you with your concern, we'd like to clarify the following information:

• When was the last time you are able to type on the search menu?
    • Did you make any changes to your computer's configuration prior to the issue?

Let us try the methods below and observe.

Method 1: Run Start Menu Troubleshooter.

Run this Start Menu Troubleshooter to automatically fix problems with Start Menu.

Method 2: Run System File Checker and DISM commands.

System File Checker is a Windows utility that allow users to scan for and restore corruptions in Windows system files. Follow these steps for instructions:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type this sfc /scannow and hit Enter.
    If SFC did not find any violations it's still a good idea to run DISM Restorehealth. For instructions, please follow these steps:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type this Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth and hit
      Enter.
    Keep us posted.

Antoneth Ber, Jun 11, 2021
  3. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Jun 11, 2021
  4. yogalD Win User

Start menu search hangs if right-click, Run as Admin is used.

Start menu -> Command prompt -> right click -> run as admin = error

I have a problem that seems (to me at least) to be quite common as well as annoying when it happens because you don't know when it started occurring and have no way to fix it, which is why I am finally asking after all these years.

The problem is, when typing Command prompt into the start search box, then right clicking it and choosing run as admin, there's an error. I know I can use Win+X+A to run command prompt as admin, I can also right click a shortcut and run as admin, I can even type cmd into the start search box and run as admin. But when right clicking Command Prompt in the start menu and running as admin, it doesn't work.

This happened even on Windows 7. Actually, I'm using StartIsBack on Windows 10 right now. I just tried using the default Windows 10 start menu and there's no such problem, but that's because the Windows 10 start menu operates differently. (Am I posting this in the right place? Should it actually belong in SevenForums then?)

I can even invoke the error by searching for Task Manager, or On-Screen Keyboard, and various other Windows system tools. It seems that if I right click, and "Run as Administrator" does not have a shield icon, it will error if I click it. Refer to screenshots below:

Start menu search hangs if right-click, Run as Admin is used. [​IMG]

Start menu search hangs if right-click, Run as Admin is used. [​IMG]

So, how can I finally fix this?

(btw, I think the error message is different on Windows 7 but basically it's the same problem nonetheless)

yogalD, Jun 11, 2021
Thema:

Start menu search hangs if right-click, Run as Admin is used.

1. Start menu search hangs if right-click, Run as Admin is used. - Similar Threads - Start menu search

2. Right-click on start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right-click on start menu: When I right-click on the Start menu in Windows 10, it brings up the options menu and when I select Task manager nothing happens. This also happens when I try to select Device Manager, Event Viewer, Disk Manager, Computer Manager, Windows Powershell and Admin, and File...
  3. Right-click on start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right-click on start menu: When I right-click on the Start menu in Windows 10, it brings up the options menu and when I select Task manager nothing happens. This also happens when I try to select Device Manager, Event Viewer, Disk Manager, Computer Manager, Windows Powershell and Admin, and File...
  4. Right-click on start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. PowerShell(Admin) -right click start menu edit

in Windows 10 Support
    PowerShell(Admin) -right click start menu edit: Right click on either PowerShell shortcut in the Win10 20H2 start menu and both are user not the System32 for the (Admin). I couldn't find where these start menu right click shortcuts are stored so I have used the tutorial registry script merge to have the admin cmd on the...
  6. Start Menu - Right-Click

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu - Right-Click: Hello,In the "Start Menu" there are two types of icons - one is a square with a folder icon on it, the other is a square with the program's icon.Now 'folder icons' have no right-click sub-menu, the others with a program icon have a right-click sub-menu.In the sub-items of a...
  7. Right click Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right click Start Menu: Last few insider builds (not necessarily because of it) Most of items in Start menu's just don't do anything. Command prompt/, Disk management, Device manager, Task manager etc. Other shortcuts for them work, each one when started from anywhere else works. I made links for...
  8. Start menu -> Command prompt -> right click -> run as admin = error

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu -> Command prompt -> right click -> run as admin = error: I have a problem that seems (to me at least) to be quite common as well as annoying when it happens because you don't know when it started occurring and have no way to fix it, which is why I am finally asking after all these years. The problem is, when typing Command...
  9. Lost ability to right click, run as Adminsitrator on Start menu search

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost ability to right click, run as Adminsitrator on Start menu search: When I press/click on Start, and then type 'Power' for instance to get PowerShell, I want to right click and Run as administrator. Somehow that is gone. I can only Pin to Start. Did updates, reboots, etc. I cannot even click and drag icons from the Start menu - just has a red...
  10. Unable to right click in start menu to run as admin

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to right click in start menu to run as admin: I'm fully up to date on W10 x64 and have just noticed that I can no longer (as in, I could a few days ago) right click on certain apps to run as admin. I can't even use the 'menu' keyboard button to open the right click menu either, this does nothing. I *can* do so on...