Windows 10: start menu search is not searching programs anymore after 2004 update

Discus and support start menu search is not searching programs anymore after 2004 update in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; i use my start menu to find and open all of my programs, i just typed the name and hit enter. much faster than finding it on the desktop or in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/legop3, May 30, 2020.

1. /u/legop3 Win User

start menu search is not searching programs anymore after 2004 update

i use my start menu to find and open all of my programs, i just typed the name and hit enter. much faster than finding it on the desktop or in the start menu side bar. i just updated my pc to 2004 today and now no programs come up in search when i start typing from the start menu. is there anything i can do to fix this? it also says at the top of the search menu "search indexing was turned off.", and nothing happens when i click "turn search indexing back on".

edit: settings seems to freeze when i try to go into the "searching windows" settings.

submitted by /u/legop3
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/legop3, May 30, 2020
  2. Shaffyxx Win User

Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore

I suddenly can't open installed programs like Steam or Skype through the search bar in the start menu on Windows 10.

I can open programs if I pin them to the start menu, or programs that appear on the alphabetical list and recently added list in the start menu, but if I search for a program manually in the search bar, and click on it, nothing will happen. It's just clickable,
    nothing else. I can open other stuff like music, folders, documents.

I changed the Windows' region from where I live to US, to check if I could login to Groove Music, since the Groove Music service isn't supported where I actually live. After that, I couldn't open programs through the search menu anymore, and it's something
    I do very often.

Naturally, I changed my region back to where I actually live after seeing this problem, but it still doesn't work for some reason. I tried logging out of the Microsoft store and restarting the computer, but that didn't do anything.

I can't think of anything else that could cause the problem, aside from installing a Windows update after changing my region to US, but I don't think the update was related to the region change, so it might be the region change that messed something up,
    or maybe it was something with the Windows update.

Shaffyxx, May 30, 2020
  3. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, May 30, 2020
  4. davidhk Win User

Windows 10 cannot search programs anymore

RE : right click at Start button > Search option is on the list

start menu search is not searching programs anymore after 2004 update [​IMG]

davidhk, May 30, 2020
Thema:

1. start menu search is not searching programs anymore after 2004 update - Similar Threads - start menu search

2. start menu and search bar doesn't work anymore

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    start menu and search bar doesn't work anymore: hello guys , i am having a problem that is really annoying me , the starting menu doesn't appear anymore , no matter the method i use to try to make it pop up , the search bar as well it only appears once, when i restart explorer from manager then won't appear anymore,, this...
  3. Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore

in Cortana
    Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore: I suddenly can't open installed programs like Steam or Skype through the search bar in the start menu on Windows 10.I can use Win+R to run apps.The same issue was reported back in 2017 but none of the solutions there helped me.The folder mentioned in the solution there...
  4. Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore: I suddenly can't open installed programs like Steam or Skype through the search bar in the start menu on Windows 10.I can use Win+R to run apps.The same issue was reported back in 2017 but none of the solutions there helped me.The folder mentioned in the solution there...
  5. Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Can't use start menu to search for documents anymore?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't use start menu to search for documents anymore?: Hello I accidentally removed the ability to search for documents using the start menu. I used to be able to do it, by just clicking the start button on the bottom left corner, and then typing in the file name, but now all I get are web results. Is there a fix for this? I...
  7. Start Menu Program Search Broken

in Cortana
    Start Menu Program Search Broken: When I attempt to search for newly installed programs via the start menu search, they do not appear. Uninstalled programs will also still show in the results after having been removed. I have tried restarting the windows search service, restarting windows explorer,...
  8. Programs not showing in Start Menu or Search box after SFC and update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Programs not showing in Start Menu or Search box after SFC and update?: I was having the "waiting for cache" problem detailed here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-locks-up-waiting-for-cache/56580dea-4909-4747-b342-4407df8ff287 . I proceeded to follow the instructions in the first post: •- DISM.exe /Online...
  9. Windows 10 start menu search not working anymore?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 start menu search not working anymore?: Hello, I'm not even sure what's happening here, this just suddenly happened one day when I was trying to search for music with the start menu. All of a sudden, I get some type of webpage result that just says "Page Not Found" in the start menu when searching for something...
  10. Still no program search support in Start menu search

in Windows 10 Support
    Still no program search support in Start menu search: I'm still having to use Stardock Start10 to use the keyboard to find non-store-app programs. Whenever I use the native Start menu and use the keyboard to enter the non-store-app program name it only finds useless hits among documents and junk (I have Bing disabled otherwise...