Windows 10: Start menu search like Windows 7

Discus and support Start menu search like Windows 7 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have lots of files in my pc and I usually search them by typing phrases I remember are containted in them. This used to work fine in windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by qwertymikey, Sep 3, 2018.

1. qwertymikey Win User

Start menu search like Windows 7

Hello,

I have lots of files in my pc and I usually search them by typing phrases I remember are containted in them. This used to work fine in windows 7's start menu, but windows 10 does not show all the files. It shows a few in the best match window, and then I have to filter them by documents or any other type of file. This is not helpful because I would like to see all the filetypes altogether without filtering, and there is no "See more results" option either (which shows all files in file explorer)

Is it possible to set the windows 10 start menu to search like this, or any other similar program *Sad

:)

qwertymikey, Sep 3, 2018
  2. Phillip Pio Win User

Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Sep 3, 2018
  3. Naki Win User
    Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

Naki, Sep 3, 2018
  4. BigMack70 Win User

Windows 8.1, and Why You Should Let Go of Windows 7

Wait wait wait I can do it in 3 steps

Diasble Metro:
    1) Don't buy Windows 8
    2) ?????
    3) Profit!

BigMack70, Sep 3, 2018
Thema:

1. Start menu search like Windows 7 - Similar Threads - Start menu search

2. Start Menu Search Bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Search Bar: [ATTACH] I messed up something and now when ever i type something in the start menu search bar, i see a preview pane like something (containing open,open file location,pin to start,pin to taskbar)beside the search results.I don't want my search bar like this, i want my...
  3. Customize start menu to look like win 7?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customize start menu to look like win 7?: I just re-installed my computer and I can't remember the names of those third-part programs that you could use to change your start menu to look like win 7, the free ones. Can someone help me? *Smile 18614
  4. Problem with Start Menu search

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with Start Menu search: I had to restore a older image of my Windows 10 install, after copying my current user profile. I restored it, copied the new user profile over the old one and got all working. Except the Start menu search feature stopped finding programs, the only results it returns are...
  5. Windows 10 Start Menu Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start Menu Search: Hi, Search in Windows new start menu is annoying, each time web search using bing results are also shown, which is really unwanted. Using :: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Search We can enable the following 3 options to disable...
  6. windows start menu search

in Windows 10 Support
    windows start menu search: i can't seem to see that windows finds simple "apps"\(programs)" like the blizzard app, twitch app etc... is there some setting that enables me to do this? so far i narrowed it down to the indexing of files. maybe that'll do something. every time i search for "twitch"...
  7. start menu search problem

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu search problem: Build 14328. I can't open start menu and begin typing to search anymore. searching only works in the Cortana box. 48330
  8. 7-like alternative to windows 10 search function?

in Windows 10 Support
    7-like alternative to windows 10 search function?: Hey guys, So a few months ago I updated from windows 7 to 10, and for the most part I've liked the transition. But one key problem that's been persisting since the upgrade is the search function. Windows 7 had a very clean search bar, where you just typed in the name of the...
  9. No Start Menu, Search

in Windows 10 Support
    No Start Menu, Search: All, I upgraded Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home. It worked for a couple of days and suddenly there is no Start Menu (Click start and nothing happens) and no Search box (Icon present but nothing happens when clicked). MY machine is slower accessing all menus...
  10. Lost Start Menu and Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost Start Menu and Search: For whatever reason I have lost the use of my Start Menu and Search function. Is there any way to get the 'Settings' page open without the Start Menu? Winkey + I did it. 6925