Windows 10: Start menu search not finding applications?

Discus and support Start menu search not finding applications? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. However once i install programs like Office 2013 i can't find the application exe files by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by EziaN, Jul 30, 2015.

1. EziaN Win User

Start menu search not finding applications?

Hi,

I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

However once i install programs like Office 2013 i can't find the application exe files by searching in the start menu.
    If i search for outlook or word in the start menu nothing shows up, this was not an issue in Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Can anyone confirm if this is a general issue in Windows 10 or do i need to change a setting somewhere?

:)

EziaN, Jul 30, 2015

2. windows 10 start menu search not finding programs

Not sure what you mean by Start Menu search showing all programs. Did you do a search for every single program? I've had to add some that don't show up for me. But glad it's working now after the Clean install!

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jul 30, 2015
  3. getho Win User
    windows 10 start menu search not finding programs

Hi Greg,

Well I had to do another reinstall (and yes I bit the bullet and did a clean install from usb media on a clean partition), and the default behavior after the install was to show all programs in the start menu search. So I'm confused why you said that it
    wouldn't, but its all moot anyway because its working Start menu search not finding applications? :)

getho, Jul 30, 2015
  4. Start menu search not finding applications?

Your program's should be listed under all app's by clicking on the start button.

All app's, will be in the column on the left side at the bottom.

Click on All app's and it will list them in alphabetical order.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Jul 30, 2015
  5. EziaN Win User
    Thank you for your reply.

The programs are not listed in "all programs" i can however open them by navigating to the exe files in the directory in wich they are installed. From there i can pin them to the start menu, but it's not a very efficient way of managing programs

EziaN, Jul 30, 2015
  6. What version of office are you using. If the latest, do you have the desktop version installed or the web version?

SpyderBite, Jul 30, 2015
  7. EziaN Win User
    I'm using Office 2013 Desktop version.
    The problem is not limited to Office programs. I have the same issue with teamviewer, steam, games etc.

EziaN, Jul 30, 2015
  8. EziaN Win User

Spotify however is showing up trough start menu search, so it's not a problem with all programs

EziaN, Jul 30, 2015
  9. Do you have "All apps" listed after you click on the start button ?

Start menu search not finding applications? [​IMG]

Then a list of apps ?

10. EziaN Win User
    I do.

As you can see Outlook 2013 does not show up under "O" in all apps.

EziaN, Jul 30, 2015
  11. OK, try to open any program that does not show now in all apps.
    Just open it, don't pin it.

Then see if it show's up listed in all apps.

12. EziaN Win User
    It does not, i tried with Word, Steam, and a couple of games with no luck

EziaN, Jul 30, 2015
  13. Start menu search not finding applications?

The one's which don't show up, did you install them or simply transfer them ?

14. EziaN Win User
    I did a clean install after upgrading, so everything is installed in Windows 10

EziaN, Jul 30, 2015
  15. I'm using the non web version of the search and all my apps/programs are showing up in there.

parkersblock, Jul 30, 2015
Thema:

1. Start menu search not finding applications? - Similar Threads - Start menu search

2. Start menu not showing applications after searching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu not showing applications after searching: Hello,I have been facing this issue since a couple of days now, where when I go to the search bar in the start menu and type an app name, say for example "discord", I don't see the application on my system which I have, but the browser results and other things which are not...
  3. Start menu not showing applications after searching

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu not showing applications after searching: Hello,I have been facing this issue since a couple of days now, where when I go to the search bar in the start menu and type an app name, say for example "discord", I don't see the application on my system which I have, but the browser results and other things which are not...
  4. Start menu not showing applications after searching

in Cortana
  5. Start Menu Search Results for Applications are Out of Date

in Cortana
    Start Menu Search Results for Applications are Out of Date: When I attempt to search for newly installed programs via the start menu search, they do not appear. Uninstalled programs will contiune to appear search in the results after having been removed. This issue only affects program results, not file results. I have tried...
  6. Start Menu Search Results for Applications are Out of Date

in Cortana
    Start Menu Search Results for Applications are Out of Date: When I attempt to search for newly installed programs via the start menu search, they do not appear. Uninstalled programs will also still show in the results after having been removed. I have tried restarting the windows search service, restarting windows explorer,...
  7. Windows Start Menu Search not finding WinWord.exe

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Start Menu Search not finding WinWord.exe: I have a puzzle. I am having a problem with Office 365 right now. It caused me to search for WinWord.EXE. When I used the Start menu, it did not find the file. Start menu did find the Word tile. Opening the file location of the Tile gave me the shortcut. The shortcut...
  8. Start menu search can't find some applications

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu search can't find some applications: I am unable to search for some applications on my new laptop. I have tried rebuilding the index and restarting twice now with these options: [img] For example, both Chrome and Firefox are installed and have icons in the start menu, both show up under "Most Used" and both...
  9. Start Menu Search Doesn't Find Steam

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Search Doesn't Find Steam: The shortcut is here: [img] But if I search nothing comes up. It has not problems finding Blender and Skyrim ... [img] 6209
  10. Start Menu search not finding files

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu search not finding files: When I go to search for files (such as images/videos) through the Start Menu search (Cortana), files do not appear in results. The only way I can actually find these files is to manually click the "More" dropdown and select whichever file type it is (photos, videos, music...