Windows 10: Start menu search not returning installed apps

Discus and support Start menu search not returning installed apps in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello there, The start menu search won't return some applications when i search them, i'd like to have the same behavior like the previous windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AcapulcoGoldFr, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Start menu search not returning installed apps

Hello there,

The start menu search won't return some applications when i search them, i'd like to have the same behavior like the previous windows version. I have checked that the application in background checkbox is checked in the privacy settings, but it doesn't help, any more hint to fix this?

submitted by /u/AcapulcoGoldFr
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/AcapulcoGoldFr, Dec 27, 2020

2. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Dec 27, 2020
  3. derek10 Win User
    Problem with Start Menu search

I had to restore a older image of my Windows 10 install, after copying my current user profile.
    I restored it, copied the new user profile over the old one and got all working.

Except the Start menu search feature stopped finding programs, the only results it returns are Web and Store suggestion ones.
    For example I could type "paint" or "calc" to open Paint or the calculator, now it only returns store suggestions and/or web suggestions instead of these apps, same as any built-in or third party app.

Start menu search not returning installed apps [​IMG]

(The first result only opens Edge with a Bing search for Paint) *Devil

I rebuilt the search index, I reviewed its settings I typed a powershell command that supposedly fixes that, and still nothing. I think the problem may come from the profile. Meanwhile I will create a new user account.

Thanks for any suggestion or clue Start menu search not returning installed apps :)

Edit: I can't create a new user account. When I click "Add someone else to this PC" an empty grey window pops up for a second then closes. Definitely there is something very wrong here

derek10, Dec 27, 2020
  4. Start menu search not returning installed apps

Windows 10 Start menu is empty

Hi. Steps 1 and 2 didn't do much but step 3 has restored what looks like the list of original Microsoft apps but no sign of any of the many apps I have installed. And there are no tiles in the start menu. Any suggestions please?

LesGrant42, Dec 27, 2020
Thema:

Start menu search not returning installed apps

1. Start menu search not returning installed apps - Similar Threads - Start menu search

2. start menu search not showing apps installed with Microsoft store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start menu search not showing apps installed with Microsoft store: when i search in the search bar for apps installed with Microsoft store they don't show upi have tried trouble shooters and it hasn't helped. i have tried re-indexing and it hasn't helped please tell me what i can do...
  3. start menu search not showing apps installed with Microsoft store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    start menu search not showing apps installed with Microsoft store: when i search in the search bar for apps installed with Microsoft store they don't show upi have tried trouble shooters and it hasn't helped. i have tried re-indexing and it hasn't helped please tell me what i can do...
  4. start menu search not showing apps installed with Microsoft store

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Apps missing from search and start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apps missing from search and start menu: All my apps, excel, word, outlook, vpn, are missing from start menu and search.Some apps however, are still around, etc: discord / line / netflix.I've tried every solution I googled but none of them works.I did:1....
  6. Installed apps not showing up in start menu search.

in Cortana
    Installed apps not showing up in start menu search.: Hi. Recently I have noticed that some of applications I pinned on the start menu disappeared and some are not showing up in the search. I have to go into their installed folders to run it which is hectic. Please help....
  7. App icon corrupted on Start Menu in search

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    App icon corrupted on Start Menu in search: When I try to sarch some apps Whatsapp, Office suite, Sistem programs as Settings, Memo..., icons are corrupted. This happens only in start menu, but if I pin the apps on the task bar or when I open this app, icons show up. I've tried to restore icon cache, but nothing...
  8. How to return the 'All Apps' option to Start Menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to return the 'All Apps' option to Start Menu?: Hello All, After the nightmare update we have all be enjoying, which has reset a lot of my customisation and fonts as well as killing one app, I have also got all my apps showing in my start menu instead of the convenient 'All Apps' button which made my start menu so neat...
  9. Start menu search does not show installed apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu search does not show installed apps: My start menu does not show any installed apps such as VLC, steam or you name it. It does show up things like calculator but for the most part it does not show any installed apps. I did not mess with the indexing option and dont know what im missing here. How do I have my...
  10. Start Menu Search Can't Find Installed Apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Search Can't Find Installed Apps: I've noticed now on multiple computers I've installed Windows 10 on, that a quick win-key search isn't able to bring up installed apps. I'm sure this isn't how it's meant to be, and that there must be a fix... right? 10556