Windows 10: Start menu search not showing partial matches

Discus and support Start menu search not showing partial matches in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. I have windows 10 home x64 in my desktop. My laptop has the also windows 10 home x64 and displays correctly the start menu search partial matches... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dancer16121983, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Start menu search not showing partial matches

Hi. I have windows 10 home x64 in my desktop. My laptop has the also windows 10 home x64 and displays correctly the start menu search partial matches for words that i search. The desktop won't do that.
    For example i search in the laptop "word" and it show's me the Microsoft word application. To get the same result in the desktop i need to write the full name of the executable "winword" or it won't show matches. Another example is "paint"... i need to type "mspaint".
    Windows explorer search works. It displays partial filename matches and partial file contents.
    Only the start menu search is not working like it supposed.

Anyone can help me? The laptop is ok... the desktop isn't!!!

Thank you

:)

dancer16121983, Sep 7, 2015
  2. manef85 Win User

Windows 10 Search Now showing all file name and Inconsistent

Before upgrading to windows 10. I would search for files on a network drive and all the files containing the search in the file name would show up. Example would be searching for "1234" and files that either matched or partially match would show up, like
    ABC-1234.doc and 1234-ABC.doc.

After upgrading to windows 10 I now do the same search but only "123-ABC.doc" will show up. Strangely still is a partial match will show up but only for a particular file type, not all file types associated with the file name. Example the .doc file wont
    show up but the .ai file will.

I already tried redoing the index but the folders I am searching in is on a network so it will not allow me to pick it as an index.

Any help would be appreciated!

manef85, Sep 7, 2015
  3. BobSlee Win User
    How to make Windows Search look in all drives with "Best Match"

So I noticed that when I use the search function in the Start menu, only programs and settings show up in the "Best Match" section. Any files that are on a secondary hard drive (which in my case is ALL of my files) don't show up in the "Best Match" section.
    I have indexed the secondary hard drive, and the documents/movies/music do show up when I click on the corresponding category on the top of the search menu, so they are properly indexed.

Is there any way to make them also show up in the "Best Match" section? It's a bit useless to have to sift through a menu and select my search item category before it shows up.

I'm running Windows 10 (Version 1709, build 16299.64)

**Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Cortana & search ).**

BobSlee, Sep 7, 2015
Thema:

Start menu search not showing partial matches

1. Start menu search not showing partial matches - Similar Threads - Start menu search

2. I can no longer see partial search matches in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can no longer see partial search matches in windows 11: I used to be able to type 12 and get ALL results with any file names that contain 12 in the name. Now it only gives me files that are named 12etc. but not "blahblah12blahblah" how can i get windows to show partial results as well? i cant find the option anywhere. all the...
  3. Start menu not showing applications after searching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu not showing applications after searching: Hello,I have been facing this issue since a couple of days now, where when I go to the search bar in the start menu and type an app name, say for example "discord", I don't see the application on my system which I have, but the browser results and other things which are not...
  4. Start menu not showing applications after searching

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu not showing applications after searching: Hello,I have been facing this issue since a couple of days now, where when I go to the search bar in the start menu and type an app name, say for example "discord", I don't see the application on my system which I have, but the browser results and other things which are not...
  5. Start menu not showing applications after searching

in Cortana
  6. Can't partial search windows 10 start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't partial search windows 10 start menu: Hi, I'm searching for an app on my computer. I type in 'shade' and it finds no apps. I know for a fact I have gshade installed, in fact I gave up on search and scrolled down my start menu and found gshade waving at me. I don't like what has happened to my search functions.....
  7. find partial matches

in Cortana
    find partial matches: Hello! My Windows made 6 updates this week. After those updates happened, I have been frustrated with WindowsFiles Explorer. Working with Windows 10 Usually, whenever I would search a file in the Files Explorer, it would give me partial matches. Now, I need to press...
  8. Start Menu not showing search results for documents

in Cortana
    Start Menu not showing search results for documents: Whenever I search for a document using the Start Menu, there are no search results. Apps show up fine. If I actually go into Explorer and search in a storage device's directory, it will show. But just never in the Start Menu. It's really irritating. Why is this? I rebuilt...
  9. Can't click "Best Match" on Start Menu Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't click "Best Match" on Start Menu Search: Hi, Today my "Control Panel" apps/shortcuts on the Start Menu search have stopped working. Happened half way through the morning after installing a new printer. Examples: [img] None of the above items work when clicked (except the items which cause a menu, e.g....
  10. Search not finding files in best match from the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Search not finding files in best match from the Start Menu: Every time I open the start menu and type a few characters of a file I'm looking for Windows doesn't find it. For example if I type 'art' Windows shows me the Paint app whereas I am looking for a file in my documents that contains the word 'Art', now if I click the find...