Windows 10: start menu search not working correctly

Discus and support start menu search not working correctly in Cortana to solve the problem; Number (1) was my original post, which I thought had been solved. Number (2) is where I stand right now. (1) Windows search Best Match has become... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by RickB624, Jan 5, 2019.

1. RickB624 Win User

start menu search not working correctly

Number (1) was my original post, which I thought had been solved.

Number (2) is where I stand right now.

(1) Windows search Best Match has become defective. For instance, when I used to type "scree", my screenshots folder would be at the top of the best match results. Now I type "scree", and it gives me the Best Match of Screenshot (181).png, and it also shows it in the search space, as if it finished typing it for me, but everything after "scree" is faded. Furthermore, when I type "screen", it shows my Best Match as "Lock Screen settings", and still doesn't list my Screenshots folder. In fact, the only way I can get it to show my Screenshots folder at all is if I type "screensho" or more. This never used to happen. The only change to my laptop recently was the installation and uninstallation of Malwarebytes free trial. I uninstalled it with IObit, ran CCleaner, AND restarted, and the Best Match is still wonky.

(2) I did the following, as advised:

a. Repair any damage in the system files, by running this commmand: sfc /scannow

b. Then check the System Health first, by running this command: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

That worked right away, but now, less than four days later, it's malfunctioning again. I did the steps again, but this time it didn't work. The search function won't find anything correctly. For example, I have several downloads that start with "Z -". When I type "Z" in the search field, rather than showing me the downloads, it comes up with results like this: "bb3fe0da3fa2d401554100006405282d.program_files_common_files_d7a65bb...".

:)

RickB624, Jan 5, 2019

2. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Jan 5, 2019
  3. Win 10 - Shortcuts in Start Menu folder not appearing in menu or Search Results

Hi Michel,

The error that you encounter seems to be caused by a background process that's not working correctly. To isolate your concern, we'd like to know the following:

• Are you getting the error when searching for the shortcut or when opening the sub folder on the Start Menu?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps that you've tried to resolve your concern?

We're looking forward to your response.

Darwin Dim, Jan 5, 2019
  4. Bill A57 Win User

Windows 10 Start Menu, search and Cortana still not functioning correctly

I had some issues with Start Menu not functioning. this was solved in a post by a Microsoft Engineer Giridhar J. However, although the Start menu is now functioning along with the notifications. there are some glitches still.

I cannot pin folders to the start menu. Search and Cortana still does not work properly. Search is glitchy at best having to click on the start button then immediately click in the search box for it to work. Cortana does not work and is not listed as a app
    any more.

Any suggestions?

here is a screen shot of the start options

start menu search not working correctly e74c651a-d870-41fe-86bc-aa4b64133493.jpg

Bill A57, Jan 5, 2019
Thema:

1. start menu search not working correctly - Similar Threads - start menu search

2. Start menu search not working?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu search not working?: Hello! I discovered a few days ago that my start menu/task bar search menu no longer works. When I click either, I am unable to type. Additionally, I have noticed that when I open the start menu, I no longer have any 'recommended's on display:Does anyone have a guess as to...
  3. Start menu search not working?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu search not working?: Hello! I discovered a few days ago that my start menu/task bar search menu no longer works. When I click either, I am unable to type. Additionally, I have noticed that when I open the start menu, I no longer have any 'recommended's on display:Does anyone have a guess as to...
  4. Search and Start Menu Stopped Working

in Cortana
    Search and Start Menu Stopped Working: Windows searched suddenly stopped working for me, and it's become extremely annoying. I can't click in the search box in either the taskbar or windows explorer. It looks like something resets and I can't type anything in either window. Furthermore, clicking on anything in the...
  5. Start Menu Not Working (but Search Works)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu Not Working (but Search Works): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/6lackWRLD [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m5ko3y/start_menu_not_working_but_search_works/
  6. start menu search not working

in Cortana
    start menu search not working: Hello, The start menu search has stopped working, please help me fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-search-not-working/17d1856e-511b-4649-b2e3-d3d4c1fc1e52
  7. Start Menu Search not working

in Cortana
    Start Menu Search not working: Hello, I have updated latest feature windows version 2004 in June. After this feature update my start menu searching is not worked and it is little bit slow. Could you please help me with this issue ? Regards, Bhavesh...
  8. Start Menu Search Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Search Not Working: When I search for files using the regular Windows Explorer when in a folder it works fine. When I press the windows key and type something it now shoes completely empty. I have tried a lot of things within Windows to fix this such as rebuilding the index for search but that...
  9. WINDOWS START MENU SEARCH NOT WORKING

in Cortana
    WINDOWS START MENU SEARCH NOT WORKING: Hello everybody, Recently I observed that my Startmenu search for windows 10 pro was not working,I tried restarting Cortana by killing it from processes and search operations were resumed but whenever i shutdown my device and turn it back on the problem arises again and...
  10. Start Menu Search not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Search not working: When I start my computer, my Start Menu Search sometimes gets stuck in a start up or searching loop. The start menu itself works if I am just using my mouse to click icons. The issue is hitting the Windows button on my keyboard and typing. What is strange is that when...