Windows 10: Start Menu Search Results for Applications are Out of Date

Discus and support Start Menu Search Results for Applications are Out of Date in Cortana to solve the problem; When I attempt to search for newly installed programs via the start menu search, they do not appear. Uninstalled programs will contiune to appear... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Clock404, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Clock404 Win User

Start Menu Search Results for Applications are Out of Date

When I attempt to search for newly installed programs via the start menu search, they do not appear. Uninstalled programs will contiune to appear search in the results after having been removed. This issue only affects program results, not file results.

I have tried restarting the windows search service, restarting windows explorer, restarting the computer and rebuilding the search index. I have also tried running the windows search troubleshooter but it said it was unable to find an issue.

Troubleshooting steps I have attempted:

I ran these commands in the order shown in the cmd:

sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

sfc /scannow

I have followed these steps:

Method 1. Repair Windows Store apps:

1. Download the Windows Store App Troubleshooter. Link below.

http://aka.ms/solutionstoreapp

2. Temporarily Disable the Anti-virus

3. Run Powershell

4. On Powershelladmin, copy and paste the command below:

Get-AppXPackage Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$$_.InstallLocation\AppXManifest.xml"}

Method 2. Reset update and app components

Open Powershell with Admin or CMD with Admin Press Windows key + X then click Windows PowershellAdmin

Copy each line of command to Powershell then press enter one line at a time

net stop bits

net stop wuauserv

net stop appidsvc

net stop cryptsvc

Del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\*.*"

rmdir %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution /S /Q

rmdir %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 /S /Q

regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll

regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dll

regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll

netsh winsock reset

netsh winsock reset proxy

net start bits

net start wuauserv

net start appidsvc

net start cryptsvc

I have had this issue before and I performed a clean installation but the issue returned. I can not reinstall Windows every time this happens.

The only thing that has helped me so far is to go into safe mode, kill SearchApp.exe and delete "Microsoft.Windows.Search_cw5n1h2txyewy" in my appdata.

Doing this will update the program search results however it will not continue to update. If I go on install/remove more programs those changes won't be reflected in the search results until I delete the folder again.

If you have any suggestions on how I might be able to fix this without resetting/refreshing my Windows installation or creating a new account, please let me know! As I stated before I can't reinstall Windows every time this happens. I really need to find a solution. Thanks for your time!

:)

Clock404, Jan 23, 2021
  2. Clock404 Win User

When I attempt to search for newly installed programs via the start menu search, they do not appear. Uninstalled programs will also still show in the results after having been removed.

I have tried restarting the windows search service, restarting windows explorer, restarting the computer and rebuilding the search index. I have also tried running the windows search troubleshooter but it said it was unable to find an issue.

I ran these commands in the order shown in the cmd:

sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

sfc /scannow

I have followed these steps:

Code:
    Method 1. Repair Windows Store apps:

1. Download the Windows Store App Troubleshooter. Link below.

http://aka.ms/solutionstoreapp2. Temporarily Disable the Anti-virus3. Run Powershell4. On Powershell(admin), copy and paste the command below:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Method 2. Reset update and app components

Open Powershell with Admin or CMD with Admin (Press Windows key + X then click Windows Powershell(Admin))Copy each line of command to Powershell then press enter (one line at a time)net stop bitsnet stop wuauservnet stop appidsvcnet stop cryptsvcDel "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\*.*"rmdir %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution /S /Qrmdir %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 /S /Qregsvr32.exe /s atl.dllregsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dllregsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dllnetsh winsock resetnetsh winsock reset proxynet start bitsnet start wuauservnet start appidsvcnet start cryptsvc
    In addition I performed an in place upgrade.

The only thing that has helped me so far are following the steps found at Removed program still shown in windows start menu search

However performing the steps above will only cause the program results to update once. If I go on install/remove more programs those changes won't be reflected in the search results until I do those steps again.

If you have any suggestions on how I might be able to fix this without resetting/refreshing my Windows installation or creating a new account, please let me know! Thanks for your time!

Clock404, Jan 23, 2021
  3. Start menu search not finding applications?

Do you have "All apps" listed after you click on the start button ?

Start Menu Search Results for Applications are Out of Date [​IMG]

Then a list of apps ?

COMPUTIAC Guest, Jan 23, 2021
  4. EziaN Win User

Start menu search not finding applications?

I do.

As you can see Outlook 2013 does not show up under "O" in all apps.

EziaN, Jan 23, 2021
Thema:

1. Start Menu Search Results for Applications are Out of Date - Similar Threads - Start Menu Search

2. Tweak start menu search results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tweak start menu search results: I use search constantly and keep my machine well indexed. Search generally works pretty well, but sometimes the results are very.. counter intuitive. For example, without fail, if I search "Desktop" the Best Match is always Remote Desktop Connection, rather than Desktop which...
  3. Tweak start menu search results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tweak start menu search results: I use search constantly and keep my machine well indexed. Search generally works pretty well, but sometimes the results are very.. counter intuitive. For example, without fail, if I search "Desktop" the Best Match is always Remote Desktop Connection, rather than Desktop which...
  4. 4th attempt of receiving help Start Menu Search Results for Applications are Out of Date

in Cortana
    4th attempt of receiving help Start Menu Search Results for Applications are Out of Date: This is my fourth time encountering this issue occur and attempting to receive help on the Microsoft forums. I am tired of having to reset Windows every time this happens.When I attempt to search for newly installed programs via the start menu search, they do not appear....
  5. Start Menu search isn't listing results...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu search isn't listing results...: [ATTACH] When I hit Winkey for Start Menu, I get the start menu and then type, bit it isn't listing results. The top result is hinted in the search box, but that's not exactly useful. I thought it just filtered out the dark gray start menu. Ideas?...
  6. Start Menu Search Results for Applications are Out of Date

in Cortana
    Start Menu Search Results for Applications are Out of Date: When I attempt to search for newly installed programs via the start menu search, they do not appear. Uninstalled programs will also still show in the results after having been removed. I have tried restarting the windows search service, restarting windows explorer,...
  7. Programs in Start menu not listed in search results

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programs in Start menu not listed in search results: I just upgraded to Windows 10 and I'm still trying to get used to everything that's changed since 7. I'm used to being able to just hit the Windows key on my keyboard to bring up the Start menu, start typing the name of a program that I know has a shortcut in the start menu,...
  8. Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search

in Cortana
    Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search: Hi; on some Windows 10 installations (and indeed, even on my other user account), I get web search results when I press the Start key on my keyboard and then type into the search box. For example, "32 F in C" will yield 0° C. This isn't happening on one of my accounts. As...
  9. Start Menu not showing search results for documents

in Cortana
    Start Menu not showing search results for documents: Whenever I search for a document using the Start Menu, there are no search results. Apps show up fine. If I actually go into Explorer and search in a storage device's directory, it will show. But just never in the Start Menu. It's really irritating. Why is this? I rebuilt...
  10. Cortana/Start Menu search results zoomed out accidentally

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana/Start Menu search results zoomed out accidentally: My 1 year old child was mashing the keyboard and now I can't get the search results to show normal size anymore. It's currently unusable. See screenshot. [img] 80241