Windows 10: Start menu search shows no results for file contents

Discus and support Start menu search shows no results for file contents in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Windows 10. i want to search for file contents. Is it possible to do that via start menu search? or do I always need to open the file explorer there it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Windows10AcerLG, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Start menu search shows no results for file contents

Windows 10. i want to search for file contents. Is it possible to do that via start menu search? or do I always need to open the file explorer there it is possible to search for file contents. That would be inconvenient. It should be possible to search for file contents via start menu search. Question: is it possible?If so, how to fix it? Everything works good. search for file names via start menu, search for anything including file contents via explorer.So indexing works.Windows build: 19043.1348is there any setting for start menu search ,that prevents searching for file content?

:)

Windows10AcerLG, Nov 13, 2021

2. Search Content of MHT files

Hi David,

Most probably, this is a problem with the search and indexing of your Windows 10 computer. For us to provide the best resolution possible, we would like to clarify the following:

• Are you trying to search the content of MHT files using Cortana?
    • Have you tried searching it using the File Explorer?
    • Are you using a third-party app to search for the content of MHT files?

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for search and indexing. To run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems.
    • Select Search and Indexing and click Run the troubleshooter.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Gerard Qui, Nov 13, 2021
  3. Searching (from the Start menu) only finds some of my files

Hi Mike,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about searching files from the Start menu.

I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check:

Step 1: Run the Performance troubleshooter.

Performance troubleshooter finds and clean up unused files and shortcuts and performs maintenance tasks.

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the
      Search
      box and hit Enter.

• Select “System Maintenance” from the
      Troubleshooter window.

• Select “Advance” and click on “Run as Administrator”.

• Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Step 2: I suggest you to
    restart Windows Search service.

Windows Search service provides content indexing, property caching and search results for files, e-mails and other contents.

• Click Start, type
      Services.msc in the Start Search box.

• Scroll down the list of services, right-click
      Windows Search and select Start.

• Also, right-click
      and select Properties for
      Windows Search and set its Startup Type to
      Automatic.

Hope it helps. Feel free to contact us for further assistance on Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 13, 2021
  4. Remonator Win User

Start menu search shows no results for file contents

Certain apps don't show in search results

Some of my applications don't show in search results when I search for them.

E.g. Visual Studio, it shows only a local directory named "Visual Studio 2017" but it doensn't show the application itself.

Some other applications are listed as wrong version (already uninstalled), and some others dont't show at all (e.g. Putty)

I've already rebuilt the index and ran sfc /scannow several times, and got shortcuts for the apps in both

• %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    and

• %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

I'm running Windows 10 Pro Version 1607 (Build 14393.1358)

Any suggestions?

Remonator, Nov 13, 2021
Thema:

Start menu search shows no results for file contents

1. Start menu search shows no results for file contents - Similar Threads - Start menu search

2. Tweak start menu search results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tweak start menu search results: I use search constantly and keep my machine well indexed. Search generally works pretty well, but sometimes the results are very.. counter intuitive. For example, without fail, if I search "Desktop" the Best Match is always Remote Desktop Connection, rather than Desktop which...
  3. Tweak start menu search results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tweak start menu search results: I use search constantly and keep my machine well indexed. Search generally works pretty well, but sometimes the results are very.. counter intuitive. For example, without fail, if I search "Desktop" the Best Match is always Remote Desktop Connection, rather than Desktop which...
  4. Start menu search shows no results for file contents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu search shows no results for file contents: Windows 10. i want to search for file contents. Is it possible to do that via start menu search? or do I always need to open the file explorer there it is possible to search for file contents. That would be inconvenient. It should be possible to search for file contents via...
  5. Start menu search shows no results for file contents

in Cortana
    Start menu search shows no results for file contents: Windows 10. i want to search for file contents. Is it possible to do that via start menu search? or do I always need to open the file explorer there it is possible to search for file contents. That would be inconvenient. It should be possible to search for file contents via...
  6. Windows Start Menu Search doesn't show search results for some categories

in Cortana
    Windows Start Menu Search doesn't show search results for some categories: Hi, My Windows Search bar the one on my taskbar isn't showing my any results for only some categories. If I start typing just a few letters I immediately get results for apps, settings, and people if applicable, but even if I type just 2-3 letters and ask for results within...
  7. Start Menu Search Not Showing New Programs in the Results

in Cortana
    Start Menu Search Not Showing New Programs in the Results: When I attempt to search for newly installed programs via the start menu search, they do not appear. Programs that I have had for a long time do still appear in search results. I have tried restarting the windows search service, restarting windows explorer, restarting the...
  8. Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search

in Cortana
    Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search: Hi; on some Windows 10 installations (and indeed, even on my other user account), I get web search results when I press the Start key on my keyboard and then type into the search box. For example, "32 F in C" will yield 0° C. This isn't happening on one of my accounts. As...
  9. Start Menu not showing search results for documents

in Cortana
    Start Menu not showing search results for documents: Whenever I search for a document using the Start Menu, there are no search results. Apps show up fine. If I actually go into Explorer and search in a storage device's directory, it will show. But just never in the Start Menu. It's really irritating. Why is this? I rebuilt...
  10. Search file not showing results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search file not showing results: HI, I have a file, and when I search for "youtube" it doesn't show results. but when I search for "youtu" it will highlight the "youtu" in each name of the links and show all the links. if I add the b , again there will be no results. why is it? thanks! 134238