Windows 10: Start Menu, Search, Task Bar and Windows Apps not working. Please Help!

Discus and support Start Menu, Search, Task Bar and Windows Apps not working. Please Help! in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have recently upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 and am having widespread issues with Windows.When I click the start menu nothing happens. The search icon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TMiles001, Jun 5, 2022.

1. TMiles001 Win User

Start Menu, Search, Task Bar and Windows Apps not working. Please Help!

I have recently upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 and am having widespread issues with Windows.When I click the start menu nothing happens. The search icon is present but the text input box is not and clicking the search button does nothing. When trying to open anything from the system tray nothing happens and usually right click menus won't appear either. Sometimes I will see a window try to pop up but it immediately disappears.I cannot verify my Windows account. When I click the verify link in settings it opens the popup for my username but when I click next to go to the password the popu

:)

TMiles001, Jun 5, 2022

2. Unable to access Start menu, Search bar, notification buttons on Task bar after install the Update KB3139907 on Windows 10

Hi John,

Thank you for responding.

We are glad to know that you are able to access Search bar and notification center after performing the above troubleshooting steps.

For the issues with Start menu, try the below steps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run the below PowerShell command to re-register Start menu and check if it helps.

Follow:

• Right click on the Taskbar and select
      Task Manager
      from the context menu.

• In the Task Manager window, click on
      File
      and on Run new task.

• Type powershell, place a check mark on
      Create this task with administrative privileges
      and click Ok.

• In the administrative Windows PowerShell window, carefully type the below command and hit Enter key from the keyboard.

• Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}
    5. Once the command execution is completed successfully, close the PowerShell window and reboot/ restart the computer.

NOTE: When you are running the PowerShell command, I recommend you to close all the apps on your system and try.

If the issue still persists,

Step 2: I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the below Microsoft article and check if it helps.

Get help with the Windows 10 Start menu

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 5, 2022
  3. carolWK Win User
    WINDOWS 10 START MENU and SEARCH STOPPED WORKING - FIXED all -- BUT APPS DISAPPEARED...

• AUG 24, 2015:
    • START MENU and SEARCH stopped working --(AND many items on the task bar disappeared or stopped working). Also the apps were no longer accessible.
    • To fix, I tried all the fixes suggested by MS support that I found in the answers to others with the same problem--but none of it worked.
    • I FIXED THE PROBLEM by using RESTORE ...(YAY!!!)... and restored my system to the state it was in before the last update I had received.
    • It took forever.. (I went to bed and let it run overnight) BUT IT WORKED! EVERYTHING IS WORKING: start menu, search, etc. etc. Everything was back and working except for the APPS... no apps appeared in the start menu and the 'app store' icon was still
      missing from the task bar.
    • After all was restored, I did a Windows 10 UPDATE, to get back the updates that were removed when i did a system restore--everything worked out fine!
    • HOWEVER, all the APPS were still missing
      from the start menu and the MS APP STORE icon is still missing from the task bar.
    • BUT I am able to add apps back to the computer (and to the start menu) one by one.
    • ...... Anyone know of a way to restore all the apps to my computer and restore the "Store" icon back to my task bar?

carolWK, Jun 5, 2022
  4. Start Menu, Search, Task Bar and Windows Apps not working. Please Help!

Issues with accessing apps throuhg Start Menu and Search bar on windows10.

Hi Indrik,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if some system files is corrupt.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• Are you getting any error message when you click on Start Menu?

I suggest you to follow the steps provided in Microsoft Help Article about Start menu issues and also try to start Windows Search service. Check if it helps.

Step 1: I recommend you to refer to the suggestion provided in the Microsoft Help Article and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Step 2: I suggest you to try to start Windows Search services
    and check if it helps.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Type "services.msc" without the quotes and click on it.

3. Search for Windows Search.

4. Double click on it and under Startup type, select
    Automatic.

5. Then click on Start button.

Note: If you are not able to change the Startup type, then continue starting the service by clicking on Start button.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with using Start Menu and search bar, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Jun 5, 2022
Thema:

Start Menu, Search, Task Bar and Windows Apps not working. Please Help!

1. Start Menu, Search, Task Bar and Windows Apps not working. Please Help! - Similar Threads - Start Menu Search

2. Start Menu and Windows Search bar not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu and Windows Search bar not working: My Start Menu and Windows Search bar are not opening up on my Windows 11 HP laptop. I have already tried resetting the device, checking for updates, restarting Windows Explorer, and updating the driver. Unfortunately, nothing seems to work. Please help me with this problem....
  3. windows search bar task bar and menu wont work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows search bar task bar and menu wont work: I need help the taskbar search bar and menu wont work so i basically cant do anything even the windows key + r dont work already tried restarting windows explorer and ending its task on task manager but it just didnt worki can open the apps but i cant interact with my...
  4. windows search bar task bar and menu wont work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows search bar task bar and menu wont work: I need help the taskbar search bar and menu wont work so i basically cant do anything even the windows key + r dont work already tried restarting windows explorer and ending its task on task manager but it just didnt worki can open the apps but i cant interact with my...
  5. windows search bar task bar and menu wont work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. start menu search bar not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    start menu search bar not working: Whenever I click on Start or press the Windows key the start menu won't open. Also, I can't use my search bar. Another problem is that most of my programs that I have installed won't open. For example, whenever I click on Word, Excel, or any app it just keep reloading and...
  7. Start menu and search bar not working

Start menu and search bar not working: When I click on start menu or search bar nothing happen's, this is the same when I try to use the windows button to open the start menu but it works for other things such as windows + L to lock the screen. This the same across all account's on my computer even if I create new...
  8. search in start menu and "search box" on task bar not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    search in start menu and "search box" on task bar not working: Hello, no idea why but typing in my start menu and search box suddenly doesn't work. Oddly after playing around with powershell and some tips online (see below) I have gone from nothing appearing in the search box when I type to only the first character of whatever I type...
  9. Windows start menu not working and no task bar

Windows start menu not working and no task bar: i turn on my laptop Windows 10 it does not ask me to sign in the desktop comes up with nothing on the task bar except for speaker Internet etc no browser option if I click on anything it does not work also the Windows sta button or cortana does not work if I click on it. I...
  10. Start menu, search and other apps won't start from task bar

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu, search and other apps won't start from task bar: Hello, I have just upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate to Win 10 build 10240 The sart menu button does not activate anything, search doesn't either, Notification bubble does not open anything either. Safe mode produces same behaviour, I have uninstalled AVG Anti virus as...