Windows 10: Start menu, settings and notification area won't open.

Discus and support Start menu, settings and notification area won't open. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I click on the start button, nothing happens. It highlights when I hover over it, but doesn't react to being clicked. The same is true for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by iammyselfisme, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Start menu, settings and notification area won't open.

When I click on the start button, nothing happens.
    It highlights when I hover over it, but doesn't react to being clicked.
    The same is true for the notification area.

I can right click on the start button and it provides the normal options.
    Again the same is true of the notification button.

I have the settings app pinned to the taskbar, but the icon is not visible.
    I know that it is still recognised as being there, as it highlights when I hover over it, and it holds its place like any visible icon would.
    Right clicking it does nothing.

At first, the start menu was the only thing not responding. The notification panel was working, as I remember changing to 'tablet mode' to try to resolve it.

I restarted the computer, but that was when I discovered that notification panel was no longer working. I don't know the state of the settings icon before I restarted.

I have also restarted into safe mode, but the problem still occurs.
    I have not downloaded any new software since it started occurring.

I have checked the task manager and there appears to be no change in performance.

Any assistance would be appreciated, as this is getting really frustrating!
    Thank you in advance *Biggrin
    Lucas

:)

iammyselfisme, Dec 28, 2015
  2. Zxxl Win User

Build 10240 An No Settings Menu

Install was quick and painless but now I can't open the all settings menu. Clicking the all settings box in the notification area makes a quick flash of something across the screen but no menu window opens. Clicking the settings icon in the start menu
    produces the same result. I can't get to the settings menu to check settings or check for updates.

3. Mario Tum Win User
    Missing Notification area Icon in Windows 10 control Panel

1. From the Windows 10 desktop, right-click on the Taskbar, then select Properties to open the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties box.

2) In the Taskbar tab, left-click the "Customize" button on the right of 'Notification area to open the Settings/SYSTEM/Notifications & actions window.

From there you can choose what notification you would like to turn on and off.

Mario Tum, Dec 28, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

Start menu, settings and notification area won't open.

Try this.................

Right click at it > click Command Prompt (Admin) > type powershell > press Enter key.
    At the flashing prompt, copy and paste this command line ( to avoid typo it's best to apply Copy/paste method)......

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

> press Enter.

davidhk, Dec 28, 2015
  5. davidhk Win User
    davidhk, Dec 28, 2015
  6. Before I type that in . . . what does it do?

7. davidhk Win User
    excerpt :
    Source
    Some users who upgraded to Windows 10 are finding out that their Start Menu does not open or Start Button is not working. If you are facing this issue, here are a few troubleshooting steps you may want to try out.

davidhk, Dec 28, 2015
  8. Start menu, settings and notification area won't open.

Thank you for the source, davidhk, but unfortunately that particular excerpt hasn't done anything. Do you think I need to restart before I see any changes?

9. davidhk Win User
    Restart ...... why not.
    In my last reply, I included a link. ( click the word Source )
    The link consists of a list of suggestions.
    Give the list a try, one at a time.

davidhk, Dec 28, 2015
  10. I'll get back to you when I've done just that.
    Thanks again *Biggrin

11. jpmdns Win User
    This DOES require a restart in order to complete the repair . If you are using 'Edge', don't be surprised if it needs to be reset.

jpmdns, Feb 2, 2016
  12. Sorry it's been an age.
    I've tried all the options and then some, one at a time with restarts, to no avail.
    I accessed the control panel via the right click menu of the start button and created a new account, which works perfectly.
    I contacted a Microsoft technician, who remote accessed my PC (and went through mostly the same processes) and eventually told me "that specific account is completely corrupted and irreparable within reason. It would be easier to copy your files over to the new account and start afresh."
    So that's what I'm doing, piece by piece :/

iammyselfisme, Feb 4, 2016
  13. Start menu, settings and notification area won't open.

When a left click on the Windows start menu icon will not work, just right click on it and open Task Manger, then click on "Windows Explorer" and hit "restart".

No need to reboot Windows. Works every time.

CountryBumkin, Feb 4, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Feb 4, 2016
  15. I had tried restarting windows explorer several times - Oddly windows explorer worked (slow and intermittently) after restarting it, but the start menu didn't (which I thought was part of windows explorer?).

iammyselfisme, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start menu, settings and notification area won't open.

1. Start menu, settings and notification area won't open. - Similar Threads - Start menu settings

2. Start Menu won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu won't open: As the title suggests, the Start Menu won't open for me. That's not the only problem. The taskbar has been faulty and it's been two days.Here are some things I can still do with it:- Open programs that are pinned in the task bar.- Open Task View- Show hidden icons- Change...
  3. Start Menu won't open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu won't open: As the title suggests, the Start Menu won't open for me. That's not the only problem. The taskbar has been faulty and it's been two days.Here are some things I can still do with it:- Open programs that are pinned in the task bar.- Open Task View- Show hidden icons- Change...
  4. Start Menu won't open

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Start menu won't open

Start menu won't open: I tried everything including: sfc /scannow DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and some more but, sfc gives me an error: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation. and DISM gives me...
  6. Windows 10 Start Menu, and Settings won't open!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Start Menu, and Settings won't open!: My cousin has an Asus G14 Laptop, the one with a ryzen 9 and an rtx 2060. I'm trying to fix it with all the top results on YouTube and chrome relating to "windows 10 Start Menu won't open", but none of them are working. My cousin said the last thing he remembers doing before...
  7. Start Menu won't open

Start Menu won't open: The start menu won't open on my computer. I checked the Windows System log and found: Unable to start a DCOM Server: Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_10.0.19041.423_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy!App as Unavailable/Unavailable. The error: "2147958016" Happened...
  8. Start menu, settings, search and notifications are not opening

Start menu, settings, search and notifications are not opening: Since a few days I cannot open any standard microsoft apps. While typing this I also noticed that pressing anything like sound, internet icon, language or battery on the taskbar doesn't work either. Sadly there doesn't seem to be a new update for Windows 10, and installing...
  9. settings, start menu, sound won't open

settings, start menu, sound won't open: settings, sound, start menu won't open. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/settings-start-menu-sound-wont-open/8a4f2b06-fdd4-43bd-bd10-584f4f2d52f9
  10. Settings and Start Menu won't open!

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings and Start Menu won't open!: A couple days ago my computer started acting funky and the next day my settings would crash every time I would open it I have tried running the troubleshooters and all the commands in PowerShell and cmd but nothing seems to work. Also, my start menu won't open even if I do...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows settings menu wont open

2. settings start menu and notification not opening

3. cant open start menu or notifications