Windows 10: Start Menu -> Settings -> Grayed Out Buttons

Discus and support Start Menu -> Settings -> Grayed Out Buttons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My laptop comes up every time with the screen brightness WAY too low for my eyes. I can go to Settings and change it, but the Apply and Cancel buttons... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Severian, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Severian Win User

Start Menu -> Settings -> Grayed Out Buttons

My laptop comes up every time with the screen brightness WAY too low for my eyes. I can go to Settings and change it, but the Apply and Cancel buttons are grayed out. Every time I restart, or even when the PC goes into sleep mode, it's right back to the too dark screen.

I've driven myself nuts looking everywhere I could think of for a way to enable that Apply button and - nada. Can someone help me out here?

:)

Severian, Mar 7, 2016

2. sync

Did you open Start > Settings > Accounts > Sync your settings

Toggle on Sync settings

Or is that grayed out?

Andre Da Costa, Mar 7, 2016
  3. N8 - Menu > Settings and Connectivity > Remote drives

I think because of the trial version. you need to try with the full version of it

crazyalkoliker, Mar 7, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello and welcome to TenForums *Smile

I think you need to go via the control panel and select the change settings for your power plan. This will give you the option to save the new settings for brightness.

Start Menu -> Settings -> Grayed Out Buttons [​IMG]

philc43, Mar 7, 2016
  5. Severian Win User
    Thanks for the reply, Phil. Unfortunately, that doesn't help either. It still goes back to the dark screen every time I restart, or the computer goes into Sleep mode.

Does anybody have an idea of how to activate that grayed out Apply button in Start Menu -> Settings?

Severian, Mar 8, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    Go back to that settings you had before > change Orientation to Portrait > your Apply and Cancel buttons are now active > change right back to Landscape.

Try to adjust the brightness and click Apply.

Does the change of brightness stick or does it go back to the same problem ?

davidhk, Mar 8, 2016
  7. Severian Win User
    Ha! What a kludge! But I'll be darned if it doesn't work! What kind of goofy piece of UI design is that?

Whether or not it sticks now remains to be seen. I'll let you know the next time I restart or or drift away from the computer long enough for it to sleep. Right now, I have my usual zillion windows/tabs open (+/- 10%) at the same time.

Thanks again!

Severian, Mar 8, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

You are welcome.
    Do post back whether it works or not.
    Thank you.

davidhk, Mar 8, 2016
  9. Severian Win User
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Sadly, this doesn't fix the problem. It still goes back to the dark screen every time I restart or the computer sleeps.

This really seems like it ought to be simple. I should be able to decide the brightness level of my own computer screen. Apparently, Microsoft disagrees. They believe they know best, and my screen brightness should be whatever they decide.

Severian, Mar 12, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    Sorry.
    I am out of ideas.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Start Menu -> Settings -> Grayed Out Buttons - Similar Threads - Start Menu Settings

2. In "Speach" settings, "Get started" button under the "Microphone" title is grayed out. Why?

in Windows 10 Customization
    In "Speach" settings, "Get started" button under the "Microphone" title is grayed out. Why?: I wanted to set up the dictate function. System tells me that polish is not a supported language. I went to change it in settings. Everything in the speach section is grayed out, I can only add a new voice pachages. Setting up my microphone again + changing the microphone,...
  3. In "Speach" settings, "Get started" button under the "Microphone" title is grayed out. Why?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In "Speach" settings, "Get started" button under the "Microphone" title is grayed out. Why?: I wanted to set up the dictate function. System tells me that polish is not a supported language. I went to change it in settings. Everything in the speach section is grayed out, I can only add a new voice pachages. Setting up my microphone again + changing the microphone,...
  4. In "Speach" settings, "Get started" button under the "Microphone" title is grayed out. Why?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Power button grayed out

Power button grayed out: Power icon grayed out in turn system icon ..tried task manager windows explorer restart didn't help, went to device manager disabled Microsoft AC Adaptor then enabled disabled Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery restated laptop in safe mode no use, from command...
  6. Ideas button grayed out

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Ideas button grayed out: hi< i have downloaded the free trial for office 365, that will then get purchased after the months period. i intially did not find the ideas button, so i got it from the options and added it. i then tried applying it it just doesn;t work and is grayed out. also the...
  7. Windows 10 Start Menu grayed out and unresponsive

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Start Menu grayed out and unresponsive: [ATTACH]If you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 and are having problems with the Start Menu, then in today’s post, we show you what to do to […] This article Windows 10 Start Menu grayed out and unresponsive first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Windows Insider Program get started button grayed out

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Insider Program get started button grayed out: I want to start using the release preview ring but thus far have been unable to do that. I went thru the procedure on the website to sign up and everything appeared to go thru correctly. Went back to settings and the button was still grayed out. I did some further research...
  9. maximize button grayed out

maximize button grayed out: I open a link within 1 application. The link opens but the scroll up/down and left right are not available; the resizing of the edges are not available and the maximize is grayed out. Windows 10 IE 11 Only happens with this one application/web page. Works fine on my...
  10. Grayed Out Settings In Windows 10 Start Menu

Grayed Out Settings In Windows 10 Start Menu: Hi, I am using Windows 10 education 1809 but i have faced a problem as all settings that suggest something are grayed out such as (Show suggestions occasionally in Start)(Show me suggested contact in the Settings app)(show me the Windows welcome experience after updates and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. taskbar settings greyed out windows