Windows 10: Start Menu Settings Icon is Missing Even Though it has been Selected to Show

Discus and support Start Menu Settings Icon is Missing Even Though it has been Selected to Show in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am posing this question on behalf of an elderly relative who is non-technical. On his Windows 10 HP laptop, the Start Menu Settings icon is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Samurai7388, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Start Menu Settings Icon is Missing Even Though it has been Selected to Show

I am posing this question on behalf of an elderly relative who is non-technical.

On his Windows 10 HP laptop, the Start Menu Settings icon is missing. I checked under SettingsPersonalizationStartChoose which folders appear on Start and Settings has been selected to show (i.e., it is ON), but the Settings icon is not displayed in the left column of the Start Menu.

There are other ways to access Settings, such as right-clicking the Start button, or by opening the Action Centre but, because he is non-technical, he always tries to follow step-by-step instructions exactly as written, and most tell the user to click on the Start button and click on the Settings (gear) icon - which in his case does not exist.

What else needs to be done to get the Settings icon back?

Thank you.

:)

Samurai7388, Jun 24, 2019
  2. Rose Cal Win User

missing icons in start menu

Hi Wickiwizard,

It is possible that the icon of your apps in Start menu is missing due to a corrupted system files. To provide you the accurate resolution, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Does this happen only with icons in Start menu?
    • What troubleshooting steps you've done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps in this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot problems with Start menu or Cortana.

If the issue still persists, we recommend that you follow the suggestion shared by
    Meliton Dec on this thread.
    The given troubleshooting steps will help repair or reset not only missing apps but also lost icon.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Jun 24, 2019
  3. Darknova Win User
    Start menu default internet acces icon screwed?

You generally set that via the Start Menu settings (right-click start menu -> properties).

I had that issues a while ago, and it meant removing it from the Start Menu, and reinstalling my browser to get the icon back, it was very odd.

Darknova, Jun 24, 2019
  4. Start Menu Settings Icon is Missing Even Though it has been Selected to Show

Start Menu icons are missing

Hi Janes,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience caused and we will try our best to resolve the issue.

To assist you better, please provide few details.

• Which all Icons are missing on the Start menu?

• Are you able to find the Icons, when you click on
      All apps
      in the start menu?

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to search for the Icons in the search bar, if the icon appears in the search list then
    right click on the icon and select Pin to Start and check if the icons appears in the start menu.

If the issue persists, Perform System File Checker (sfc) scan and check if it helps.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

To perform SFC Scan, refer to the below link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Note: Steps mentioned for Windows 8/8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Jun 24, 2019
Thema:

Start Menu Settings Icon is Missing Even Though it has been Selected to Show

1. Start Menu Settings Icon is Missing Even Though it has been Selected to Show - Similar Threads - Start Menu Settings

2. Start menu icons not showing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu icons not showing: Hello, I don't know what happened, suddenly my icons disappeared, I want to fix this problem, it bothers me a lot, is there any way? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-icons-not-showing/2938c0c0-1adf-4d46-8161-20c1a4b8aa62
  3. Messenger App keeps starting even though Startup has been disabled.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Messenger App keeps starting even though Startup has been disabled.: Facebook has to be the most predatory company out there. Their app keeps running in the background even though I have specifically disabled this option, it runs on startup even though that has been disabled and it's not in either shell:startup nor shell:common startup.The app...
  4. Messenger App keeps starting even though Startup has been disabled.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Messenger App keeps starting even though Startup has been disabled.: Facebook has to be the most predatory company out there. Their app keeps running in the background even though I have specifically disabled this option, it runs on startup even though that has been disabled and it's not in either shell:startup nor shell:common startup.The app...
  5. Start menu icons missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start menu icons missing: When I search for a program in the start menu, the icons for those programs appear broken, a paper icon. Only programs installed on external hard drive have this issue and not programs installed on C drive....
  6. Missing icons in Start Menu

Missing icons in Start Menu: We use VMWare Dynamic Environment Manager to push our shortcuts to the user's Start Menu. This works fine for 99,9% but sometimes icons are just not shown. It is visible when navigating to %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, it is just not visible when clicking...
  7. Start Menu Icons - Missing

Start Menu Icons - Missing: Ok this is clearly an ongoing problem that Microsft are failing to address, but it needs to be aired. So for ages I have had an issue with or one or two menu icons vanishing from some programs, Google Chrome being the longest running one. But this question is not about any...
  8. Missing Start Menu icons.

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Start Menu icons.: A lot of my Start Menu icons have recently disappeared. Both tiles and "All Apps" entries. The missing items range from games to Windows features. For example "Windows Accessories" only has three items listed and "Windows Administrative Tools" is missing altogether. The only...
  9. Start Menu Icons Missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Icons Missing: Hi, I searched for this problem in the forum but must of the replies apply to Windows or Desktop icons missing. I'm including an image which I think it explains the problem better As you can see, the menu on the right has three icons (circled in red) that are missing from...
  10. No application shows on the screen even though it has been lauched.

in Windows 10 Support
    No application shows on the screen even though it has been lauched.: Hi, I just received this new wintel box with dual boot android and win10, the android version works fine, however, windows 10 behaves strangely, I click for example on MS edge, it launches, if you hover over it on the taskbar it shows with the small window but there is no...