Windows 10: Start Menu, Settings, Powershell not opening/working

Discus and support Start Menu, Settings, Powershell not opening/working in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hey -So I believe I'm running windows 10, recently updated to it - but I can't check cause many things won't open on my computer including:The Start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by snipejd, Sep 28, 2022.

1. snipejd Win User

Start Menu, Settings, Powershell not opening/working

Hey -So I believe I'm running windows 10, recently updated to it - but I can't check cause many things won't open on my computer including:The Start Menu or right clicking itComputer Settings Ctrl-I does not work either not does ms settings in CMDMy Computer > Propertieswhen I restart windows explorer it takes a while and still doesn't fix anythingoddly enough, Pro Tools still runs on it just fineI believe it's windows 10 home but I can't check a lot of things. It's an old music comp so I am fearful of losing files on it.What is wrong with Windows that many things won't? I thought maybe

:)

snipejd, Sep 28, 2022

2. Start menu not working

I found the following article, ran the suggested powershell command and my start menu is working again. Here it is as I found it:
    Go to Start menu button and right click on it. This will open the contextual menu, after which you need to select Command Prompt (Admin). Once Command Prompt is open, go ahead with the following steps.

• Type and enter: Powershell
    • Type the following: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Don Donadio, Sep 28, 2022
  3. Start Menu not working.

I followed the direction (I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type Powershell
    • Type the following 2 commands in the Powershell prompt:

$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"}

• Close the Powershell window.
    • Reboot,)
    given in the reply. But still the start menu and search is not working

T.Krishnankutty, Sep 28, 2022
  4. KeithM Win User

How to change the WinX menu, including Powershell/Powershell (Admin)

This part intrigues me. As suggested earler, please post a screenshot of the error message. Also, please clarify/test the follwoing:
    1. Can you start PowerShell from the Start Menu?
    2. If you navigate to %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group3, does PowerShell launch from the shortcuts there?
    3. If #1 works & #2 doesn't, compare (& post) the target text from each shortcuts properties. For the Start Menu shortcut, right-click & select Open file location to navigate to the Start Menu folder.

Keith

KeithM, Sep 28, 2022
Thema:

1. Start Menu, Settings, Powershell not opening/working - Similar Threads - Start Menu Settings

2. Start Menu, Settings, Powershell not opening/working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu, Settings, Powershell not opening/working: Hey -So I believe I'm running windows 10, recently updated to it - but I can't check cause many things won't open on my computer including:The Start Menu or right clicking itComputer Settings Ctrl-I does not work either not does ms settings in CMDMy Computer > Propertieswhen...
  3. Start Menu, Settings, Powershell not opening/working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu, Settings, Powershell not opening/working: Hey -So I believe I'm running windows 10, recently updated to it - but I can't check cause many things won't open on my computer including:The Start Menu or right clicking itComputer Settings Ctrl-I does not work either not does ms settings in CMDMy Computer > Propertieswhen...
  4. Start menu and settings does not open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu and settings does not open: I tried sfc /scannow Tried dism online health restoretried the powershell get restore commanddid a disk check, but none of this resolved the start menu error....
  5. Settings/start menu wont open

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings/start menu wont open: Hey new guy here my settings/start/volume/notifications wont open and apps wont open I've tried rebooting my windows explorer and didn't do anything my calculator app won't open either. I've been having alot of trouble with my account because my settings won't sync because it...
  6. Settings/Start menu wont work or open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Settings/Start menu wont work or open: So recently my settings will not open even if I press the dedicated keys as well as the start menu. Anything on the task bar will not open but my right click somehow works? My notifications will not open either. Previous to this problem my admin account says that its...
  7. setting & start menu not working

setting & start menu not working: In my pc has a problem right now but I can't do anything at this moment. please help me. The problem is setting & start menu not working, it automatically off....
  8. Windows Start Menu, Search, Settings, and Powershell Not Working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Start Menu, Search, Settings, and Powershell Not Working: Sometime during the past week, the Windows taskbar, start menu, and search function stopped working for me. I also noticed that I could not open settings on my device. After reading some fixes online, I tried to use the PowerShell to troubleshoot some issues, however, it...
  9. Start menu and settings now opening

Start menu and settings now opening: My windows 10 settings will not open. It will just close and my start menu will not open. It will ask me to sign out. I had this problem before, but not at the same time....
  10. Can't open settings + start menu not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open settings + start menu not opening: Having issues opening my start menu/settings. Cannot use hotkeys to open them nor cmd prompts. Can still run task manager but I am having issues resolving this problem. I have tried creating a new user and switching to that account but no dice. Any help would be immensely...