Windows 10: Start menu, settings, search and notifications are not opening

Discus and support Start menu, settings, search and notifications are not opening in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Since a few days I cannot open any standard microsoft apps. While typing this I also noticed that pressing anything like sound, internet icon,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Djr2280, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Djr2280 Win User

Start menu, settings, search and notifications are not opening

Since a few days I cannot open any standard microsoft apps.

While typing this I also noticed that pressing anything like sound, internet icon, language or battery on the taskbar doesn't work either.

Sadly there doesn't seem to be a new update for Windows 10, and installing it when available would only be possible by restarting, which now only works by right-clicking the taskbar or by using the power button.

Does anyone know a way to solve this?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Djr2280, Mar 8, 2020

2. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Mar 8, 2020
  3. Microsoft News Notifications

Follow these steps to check if it works:

Step 1: Open the Windows Settings menu by pressing the Windows Key and “I,” or alternatively search for Settings in the Windows search bar and click the corresponding result.

Step 2: Click Notifications & Actions in the left-hand menu. This will take you to a screen providing access to all of the settings related to notifications and the Action Center.

Step 3: Click the System icon, then select Notifications and actions from the left-hand menu.

Step 4: Look for the Notifications subheading, where you will see a number of toggles for various types of notifications. The following is a list of the settings you can toggle on this screen:

• Get notifications from apps and other senders
    • Show notifications on the lock screen
    • Show alarms, reminders, and incoming VoIP calls on the lock screen
    • Hide notifications when duplicating my screen
    • Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows
    You may just turn them off the notification as you need.

PeterPeng3, Mar 8, 2020
  4. Paolo Mag Win User

Start menu and settings both wont open.

Hello Robert,

As per the description of the issue, you are unable to open both Windows Settings and Start menu. For us to resolve this issue, we suggest that you perform troubleshooting. Here's an

article
    that you can go to. In here, you'll see solutions to resolve Start menu issues.

To resolve Windows Settings issue, kindly follow the steps listed below:

• Boot into Safe Mode.
    • Open a command prompt windows.
    • Type sfc/scannow, and then hit Enter.
    • Once it's finished, restart the computer to check if the issue still persists.

If the issue still persists after doing the steps above, kindly refer to this
    link
    for further troubleshooting.

Let us know if the resolution provided works.

Paolo Mag, Mar 8, 2020
Thema:

1. Start menu, settings, search and notifications are not opening - Similar Threads - Start menu settings

2. Settings, start menu, file explorer, and search won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Settings, start menu, file explorer, and search won't open: The previous week my computer force restarted itself and wouldn't boot up for hours. All of a sudden when I log on, I can't open settings, the start menu, the file explorer, and the search bar. Settings closes immediately after opening. The file explorer won't open and causes...
  3. Settings, start menu, file explorer, and search won't open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Settings, start menu, file explorer, and search won't open: The previous week my computer force restarted itself and wouldn't boot up for hours. All of a sudden when I log on, I can't open settings, the start menu, the file explorer, and the search bar. Settings closes immediately after opening. The file explorer won't open and causes...
  4. Settings, start menu, file explorer, and search won't open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. The start menu, settings, search and the Xbox app won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The start menu, settings, search and the Xbox app won't open: This issue started appearing after moving some files from my c drive to my d drive because I was low on space, and more problems started to appear after I followed some troubleshooters. I've tried rebooting everything from the task manager, I've scanned for viruses, but...
  6. The start menu, settings, search and the Xbox app won't open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The start menu, settings, search and the Xbox app won't open: This issue started appearing after moving some files from my c drive to my d drive because I was low on space, and more problems started to appear after I followed some troubleshooters. I've tried rebooting everything from the task manager, I've scanned for viruses, but...
  7. Setting, start menu, notification center, search menu not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting, start menu, notification center, search menu not working: Hello, after recent updates from Windows, I've found a lot of problems. I can't access the start menu, search menu, action center, task bar, as well as setting. When I try to use the keyboard shortcut to open the settings, it said something along the line like 'Class Not...
  8. problem with start menu, search and new notifications

in Windows 10 Support
    problem with start menu, search and new notifications: I'm having a problem with the start menu, search and new notifications not responding to a click. I think it might be tied to the fact I am using a local logon only. I have created a new user that logs onto Microsoft that doesn't seem to have this problem. I saw this in the...
  9. Start Menu , Search and Notifications not work

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu , Search and Notifications not work: Hello , suddenly my start menu , search and notifications not work. Even if i click on it it dont opens. I did this solution with this copy pasta at PowerShell but dont works : Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register...
  10. Start menu, settings and notification area won't open.

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu, settings and notification area won't open.: When I click on the start button, nothing happens. It highlights when I hover over it, but doesn't react to being clicked. The same is true for the notification area. I can right click on the start button and it provides the normal options. Again the same is true of the...