Windows 10: Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search

Discus and support Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; When I start for Windows settings, such as personalisation, nothing appears. Additionally, shortcuts located in these two locations... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/asdi8cic8cxzcxzzx, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search

When I start for Windows settings, such as personalisation, nothing appears. Additionally, shortcuts located in these two locations

%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

will not appear in my search.

What I have tried doing:

opened Indexing Options

added these 2 locations

%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

rebuild the index and let it finish

reboot computer

run the Troubleshooter with first 2 options ticked (no problems found)

run DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth then sfc /scannow

tick index properties and its file contents

Setting EnableLUA and ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin to 1 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

However, it works perfectly fine if use a different location for my shortcuts. For example, I copied my %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folders to C:\ and all my shortcuts in that folder showed in search. Though, I am still unable to see specific settings such as personalisation and ease of access.

Screenshots https://imgur.com/a/ml4V9f3

submitted by /u/asdi8cic8cxzcxzzx
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/asdi8cic8cxzcxzzx, Dec 5, 2020
  2. Namslas90 Win User

How do ya add to window start menu?

Is this thing you want to add located anywhere in the start menu, If it is then locate it and r-click > select PIN to start menu. It will be moved to the light blue area. If its a folder on the desktop etc it should work But you need to make a shortcut first then on the shortcut R-click > select Pin to start menu.

If 'pin to start menu' is not there then just drag and drop it into start menu, this only works with start menu items IE "all programs" items.

That should do it I hope, if not post back. *Toast :toast:

Namslas90, Dec 5, 2020
  3. Darknova Win User
    Start menu default internet acces icon screwed?

You generally set that via the Start Menu settings (right-click start menu -> properties).

I had that issues a while ago, and it meant removing it from the Start Menu, and reinstalling my browser to get the icon back, it was very odd.

Darknova, Dec 5, 2020
  4. Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search

Win 10 - Shortcuts in Start Menu folder not appearing in menu or Search Results

Hi Michel,

The error that you encounter seems to be caused by a background process that's not working correctly. To isolate your concern, we'd like to know the following:

• Are you getting the error when searching for the shortcut or when opening the sub folder on the Start Menu?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps that you've tried to resolve your concern?

We're looking forward to your response.

Darwin Dim, Dec 5, 2020
Thema:

Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search

1. Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search - Similar Threads - Start menu shortcuts

2. Start Menu Settings shortcut and files shortcut above the power options not appearing.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Settings shortcut and files shortcut above the power options not appearing.: After I restarted my computer I noticed that the Windows Settings shortcut and Files shortcut weren't there. I recently uninstalled the Visual C++ thing but idk if that is what caused it....
  3. New Menu appears on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    New Menu appears on Start Menu: I have a problem on my computer. When I am opening the Start Menu to turn my computer off I have to click on the symbol for shutting down and then on "turn off". But if I am too slow with my mouse or clicking on the right part of the symbol a new useless menu opens up where...
  4. Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search

in Cortana
    Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search: When I start for Windows settings, such as personalisation, nothing appears. Additionally, shortcuts located in these two locations %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs will not appear in my search. What I...
  5. Search in start menu

in Cortana
    Search in start menu: Hi. I have recently switched from my windows 10 PC to my windows 10 laptop. I don't know of any software differences, so I do not know what may be the cause. When using my windows pc, I often quickly open the start menu to search something up by just starting to type in the...
  6. Not appearing start menu

in Cortana
    Not appearing start menu: Yesterday, i updated my windows 10 version 2004. when finished update and restart my laptop. After restart when i click start option i can't see program list because when i click start menu logo auto appear search option above start menu ! Even i am not seen shutdown option,...
  7. start menu not appearing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    start menu not appearing: so my problem is that windows start menu is completely invisible, it still functions i can open apps by typing the name of the application and it will run. i have tried: DISM scan which said to not reveal any corruptions , i have tried a similar scan in power-shell which...
  8. Start menu not appearing.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start menu not appearing.: I changed out of Window S mode so that MS Office will work, but now Start menu will not appear when Start button is pushed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-not-appearing/9d72de98-ce1c-47da-af72-f50a54470740
  9. Shortcut Doesn't Appear In Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut Doesn't Appear In Start Menu: Hello. I have Sysinternals Autoruns installed. I created a shortcut to the executable, moved the shortcut to "C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Sysinternals Software", but it simply will not show in my start menu, even after a reboot (several...
  10. No Start Menu, Search

in Windows 10 Support
    No Start Menu, Search: All, I upgraded Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home. It worked for a couple of days and suddenly there is no Start Menu (Click start and nothing happens) and no Search box (Icon present but nothing happens when clicked). MY machine is slower accessing all menus...