Windows 10: Start menu shortcuts doesn't work

Discus and support Start menu shortcuts doesn't work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After installing Creators Update, programs shortcuts already uninstalled continues to show on start menu. For example, I uninstalled Forza Motorsport... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hellshock, Jun 16, 2017.

1. hellshock Win User

Start menu shortcuts doesn't work

After installing Creators Update, programs shortcuts already uninstalled continues to show on start menu. For example, I uninstalled Forza Motorsport 6, and if I type "Forza..." in the start menu, the shortcut appears and if I click nothing happens, either with the left button or the right button. Also, if I try to add a shortcut manually by adding it to the "C: \ Users \ ... \ AppData \ Roaming \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Start Menu", it does not appear when typing on the start menu. The shortcuts of the uninstalled programs do not disappear from start menu and the new ones do not appear. However, programs installed with an installer can add their shortcuts to the start menu.

:)

hellshock, Jun 16, 2017

2. Windows 10 Anniversary corrupt All apps list

I've copied my programs and files from my old computer including shortcuts to the start menu folders in programdata and appdata.

The shortcuts don't work on my account as the app list will not update, and even has shortcuts that have been deleted already but still are there for some reason e.g. there is an AirVPN shortcut on the all apps list on my account, but the shortcut was deleted
    and it was never installed.

The shortcuts do, however, work on a new user account.

sfc /scannow finds no integrity violations.

index rebuilding doesn't seem to work.

deleting the start menu shortcuts doesn't work.

restarting explorer or rebooting doesn't work.

how can i refresh the all apps list?

Veyrontarga, Jun 16, 2017
  3. lwdaddio Win User
    How to pin shortcut to start menu.

This doesn't work if it is a shortcut that's on the desktop. There is no 'pin to start' option on the pop-up menu.

lwdaddio, Jun 16, 2017
  4. yakec Win User

Make a new account and see if it persists

yakec, Jun 17, 2017
  5. hellshock Win User
    It happens in the new account too

hellshock, Jun 19, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    Try running sfc /scannow from an admin command prompt. You could also try Classic Shell (CS) - configure it so mouse hover opens CS and mouse click opens the Start Menu and you can choose which menu to use.

Steve C, Jun 20, 2017
  7. hellshock Win User
    sfc /scannow found no issues.

It is possible that removing Cortana/SearchUI.exe caused it? I did some tricks i found somewhere i don't remember now, but now i'm not sure if it was safe.

hellshock, Jun 22, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Start menu shortcuts doesn't work - Similar Threads - Start menu shortcuts

2. Start menu search doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu search doesn't work: Hi,I'm using windows 11 21H1 with the latest updates I received, but lately, my laptop is behaving strangely when I try to search using the start menu it closes the start menu by it self. I haven't installed any new software or changed anything in the settings or registry it...
  3. Start menu search doesn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu search doesn't work: Hi,I'm using windows 11 21H1 with the latest updates I received, but lately, my laptop is behaving strangely when I try to search using the start menu it closes the start menu by it self. I haven't installed any new software or changed anything in the settings or registry it...
  4. Shortcuts for system activities not working in Start Menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Shortcuts for system activities not working in Start Menu: When I open start menu and type in system functions, they don't work. For example, I type in "Windows Update" in the search field and the following choices do not work Windows Update Settings Check for updates View your Update History Advanced Update...
  5. Start menu not responding and media shortcuts not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu not responding and media shortcuts not working: I don't know what's happened but over the past week, I've been having a lot of issues with Windows. After using the PC for about 30 minutes, the start menu will no longer open when I click it nor will the Windows key on the keyboard work. When I press the pause/play, next...
  6. Scrolling doesn't work in start menu.

Scrolling doesn't work in start menu.: Two finger scrolling gesture on trackpad doesn't work in start menu. It works in other apps like Edge etc. But not in start menu. I have Lenovo ideapad 320e with elan trackpad drivers. Windows 10 (1909) submitted by /u/Orion_001 [link] [comments]...
  7. Transparency on Start Menu doesn't work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Transparency on Start Menu doesn't work: Windows 10 1909 When i restart my laptop, or wake it from Sleep, my Start Menu loses its Transparency Effectjust Black. I found that if i shutdown -> start my laptop, it works again. But after restart it or wake it, it loses transparency again. I have tried modifying...
  8. Critical: Start menu doesn't work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Critical: Start menu doesn't work: I have been using windows 10 from past 6 months and from from few days, the start menu doesn't show anything. Clicking on the icon or by pressing the button. Nothing happens. Start menu is too basic and now its not working in a new OS. I have contacted for a support...
  9. Scrolling doesn't work on Start Menu

Scrolling doesn't work on Start Menu: It happened when I got the April update last year and since then I didn't search for a solution. But here's the issue scrolling works perfectly everywhere on my system except when I open the Start Menu scrolling doesn't work on it and I have to use the scroll bar on the side...
  10. Shortcut Doesn't Appear In Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut Doesn't Appear In Start Menu: Hello. I have Sysinternals Autoruns installed. I created a shortcut to the executable, moved the shortcut to "C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Sysinternals Software", but it simply will not show in my start menu, even after a reboot (several...