Windows 10: Start menu shows deleted programs when I search

Discus and support Start menu shows deleted programs when I search in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I read the other entries and I tried to delete icons or folders from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs but the program is not In... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Gunobaba, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Gunobaba Win User

Start menu shows deleted programs when I search

I read the other entries and I tried to delete icons or folders from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs but the program is not In there. You can see the search view below, I cannot click on the program, cannot right-click, cannot open and etc. This is just an example, Many program deleted and still showed in start menu. Start menu shows deleted programs when I search 0a22c5f2-d192-49c9-9ef1-9eb576d03e4f?upload=true.png

:)

Gunobaba, Jan 5, 2021
  2. Clock404 Win User

Start Menu Program Search Broken

When I attempt to search for newly installed programs via the start menu search, they do not appear. Uninstalled programs will also still show in the results after having been removed.

I have tried restarting the windows search service, restarting windows explorer, restarting the computer and rebuilding the search index. I have also tried running the windows search troubleshooter but it said it was unable to find an issue.

In addition I ran these commands in the order shown in the cmd:

sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

sfc /scannow

In addition I performed an in place upgrade.

The only thing that has helped me so far are following the steps found at Removed program still shown in windows start menu search

However performing the steps above will only cause the new programs to show up in the results once. If I go on install/remove more programs those changes won't be reflected until I do those steps again.

If you have any suggestions on how I might be able to fix this without resetting my Windows installation or creating a new account, please let me know!

Thanks!

Clock404, Jan 5, 2021
  3. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Jan 5, 2021
  4. 180sx Win User

Vista - Weird error trying to delete Start Menu item

Hey mate (yes im from australia)

I had this problem just before and fixed it pretty easily.
    Have to use the good old command prompt and delete from there.
    Windows is just gettin shitter and shitter isnt it. might go back to DOS soon lol

Steps> CMD in run > go to the folder (start menu folder) > type: DEL (watever the filename is) and if it says from filename put in the shortname eg. 034Michael short would maybe be 034Mich~l or sumthing like that.

THIS WILL WORK, THIS HAS HAPPEN TO ME 4 TIMES NOW LOL fukin vista!!*Bang Head :banghead:

180sx, Jan 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Start menu shows deleted programs when I search - Similar Threads - Start menu shows

2. Deleted apps still showing in the Start Menu Search.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted apps still showing in the Start Menu Search.: Hi,So I recently decided to reset all the settings on my pc using the 'Reset This PC' option in the settings. Now every time I try and search something if it starts with the letters of apps that were previously installed on my system before resetting it they will still show...
  3. Deleted apps still showing in the Start Menu Search.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted apps still showing in the Start Menu Search.: Hi,So I recently decided to reset all the settings on my pc using the 'Reset This PC' option in the settings. Now every time I try and search something if it starts with the letters of apps that were previously installed on my system before resetting it they will still show...
  4. Deleted apps still showing in the Start Menu Search.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Deleted programs still showing in start menu

Deleted programs still showing in start menu: I decided that now is as good a time as any to learn Python, so I went to download the latest version 3.9.0. After downloading it, I used the Windows search bar to find that 3.8 was already installed from a previous attempt at learning Python. I clicked on 3.8 where it...
  6. Programs not showing in start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programs not showing in start menu: I recently changed which SSD I wanted games and a few other things on. Since changing this any of the things installed aren’t showing up on the start menu. I have 3 different SSD’s, not sure if this have anything to do with it? I don’t know if I’m supposed to enable the...
  7. Start Menu Search Not Showing New Programs in the Results

in Cortana
    Start Menu Search Not Showing New Programs in the Results: When I attempt to search for newly installed programs via the start menu search, they do not appear. Programs that I have had for a long time do still appear in search results. I have tried restarting the windows search service, restarting windows explorer, restarting the...
  8. PROGRAMS NOT SHOWING IN START MENU

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PROGRAMS NOT SHOWING IN START MENU: Hey there! I have a problem, few days ago I noticed that I dont have all my programs in start menu, they are all gone and when I search for them in search box I cant find them there....
  9. Show tiles when deleting search string in start menu

Show tiles when deleting search string in start menu: Is there a way to show again the menu tiles after going in the search mode? EXPECTED: When I delete my search string I automatically go back to the start menu ACTUAL: When I delete my search string I get a message "type something to start searching". So I have to close...
  10. Windows 10 Start Menu Search Bar Not Showing Programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start Menu Search Bar Not Showing Programs: I have been having a problem with my start menu in Windows 10! When I search up a program like "Paint" or "Photoshop" it does not show up! However, built-in apps such as "Settings" and "Edge" show up! I have tried rebuilding the search index with no luck so far! I...