Windows 10: Start menu/sound not working

Discus and support Start menu/sound not working in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Yesterday i was downloading a game from the microsoft store, suddenly my pc went to an unexpected error bluescreen and restarted, after restarting i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by LeeGilfillan, May 2, 2019.

1. Start menu/sound not working

Yesterday i was downloading a game from the microsoft store, suddenly my pc went to an unexpected error bluescreen and restarted, after restarting i noticed i could not click on the start button, or cortana, my sound has also stopped working, i have searched with internet for hours with no luck of finding a fix, i tried to reinstall windows but after about 5 minutes of a black screen it says ''there was a problem resetting your pc, no changes were made'', when i boot into safe mode a window appears saying ''explorer.exe unknown hard error'', when i run sfc /scannow it validates successfully with no problems, when i try to open certain things related to settings an error box appears saying ''explorer.exe file system error (-2144927436), i tried to search google for this error code and couldnt find anything, hopefully someone here can help with my problem as its driving me insane, i can provide any additional info if needed.

:)

LeeGilfillan, May 2, 2019

2. Start menu not working

I found the following article, ran the suggested powershell command and my start menu is working again. Here it is as I found it:
    Go to Start menu button and right click on it. This will open the contextual menu, after which you need to select Command Prompt (Admin). Once Command Prompt is open, go ahead with the following steps.

• Type and enter: Powershell
    • Type the following: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Don Donadio, May 2, 2019
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Start menu and taskbar not working.

Hi Deva,

Thank you for updating.

I suggest you to refer the link below and follow the troubleshooting steps suggested.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Hope the Start menu works after performing the steps suggested. Thank you.

Pavan_N, May 2, 2019
  4. Start menu/sound not working

Start menu is not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Iunderstand the frustration if things are not working fine as expected.

Please help us with below details,

• When you say "If I sign in under my user name I am in some earlier version", which version you are referring to?

• Did you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?

• When you say “I cannot access the start menu and am limited to IP as a browser” Is it refers to Microsoft Edge?

As an initial steps, I suggest you to check for the Windows version. To do so, follow the below steps:

1) Login to your computer through user name on which it show earlier version of Windows.

2) Press Windows key + r.

3) Type winver, hit enter.

For the issue related to start menu, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article and check,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Reply with results and necessary information to help you further.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, May 2, 2019
Thema:

Start menu/sound not working

1. Start menu/sound not working - Similar Threads - Start menu sound

2. Sound / Start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound / Start menu: Hello , When I try to open the start / sound menu then hover my cursor off it , it disappears . It may not seem as a problem but I am struggling with it because I multitask. Thank you....
  3. Sound / Start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound / Start menu: Hello , When I try to open the start / sound menu then hover my cursor off it , it disappears . It may not seem as a problem but I am struggling with it because I multitask. Thank you....
  4. Sound / Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Start menu not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu not working: Hello ,I'm using asus zenbook 14 intel i5 11 gen.And today I upgraded to windows 11 .Everything is working fine but the start menu windows menu is not working, Can someone please help me to fix this problem. Thankyou...
  6. Start menu not working

Start menu not working: My computer froze and I was able to finally get it rebooted. After I got it back up then I cursor over the Start icon and it turns blue but when I click on it nothing happens. Also, when I click on taskbar items I get a window showing "explorer.exe' and "Class not...
  7. start menu not working

start menu not working: On window updation on 2/2/2020 the start menu and microsoft edge not working. Try to fix using trobleshoot and other ways. please suggest the method for rectification or send patch file for it...
  8. Start menu not working

Start menu not working: Start menu isn't working on my new GF62Vr 7rf, it shows the blue loading icon for half a second but nothing opens, I've tried so many solutions. Also it's an msi laptop....
  9. Sound, Start Menu and Cortana stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Sound, Start Menu and Cortana stopped working: Now, for some odd reason, on my computer, the sound, start menu and cortana stopped working and I can't even get past the sign in menu without it telling me to sign out so they can "fix" this problem which I've done 3 times now so I have no clue if I screwed up this computer...
  10. Start Menu Not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Not Working: Hey all, so i've been struggling for the last few hours after a re-install of windows 10 - I had been encoutnering issues with another application so I decided to just blow my OS and start from scratch. I had been running on that OS for 5 months without any issue. So I...