Windows 10: Start Menu Stays Open When App is Run as Administrator

Discus and support Start Menu Stays Open When App is Run as Administrator in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I noticed this in version 1909 and it continued into 2004. When I right-click on an app in Start (command prompt, for example) to run it as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by squibbon, Jul 22, 2020.

1. squibbon Win User

Start Menu Stays Open When App is Run as Administrator

I noticed this in version 1909 and it continued into 2004. When I right-click on an app in Start (command prompt, for example) to run it as administrator, the app comes up but the Start Menu does not close. When I run the same app by left-clicking on it, the Start Menu immediately closes as soon as the app comes up on the screen.

I've run the appropriate SFC and DISM commands and they don't find any errors. Any suggestions as to how I can fix this without a Windows refresh/reinstall?

:)

squibbon, Jul 22, 2020
  2. Wynona Win User

I'd upvote it, but I just don't have the issue, Squibbon. Then again, I seem to be the only one whose AMD computer wouldn't update to Build 20175. Sigh . . . [/quote] L: My Computer[/i] You need to have JavaScript enabled so that you can use this ... Computer Type: PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model Number: Hewlett Packard Desktop
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 4-Core
    Motherboard: AMD
    Memory: 24 GB Upgradable to 32 GB
    Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    Sound Card: Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays: Primary Samsung Secondary Acer 24"
    Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Keyboard: Logitech K350
    Mouse: Logitech M705
    PSU: HP 180 W Internal
    Case: HP
    Cooling: HP
    Hard Drives: 500 GB SSD
    Internet Speed: 50 mbps
    Browser: Firefox
    Antivirus: Windows Defender and Eset Nod 32
    Other Info: 1 TB Spinner for data Dual Boot

Start Menu Stays Open When App is Run as Administrator [​IMG]

[*]
    johnpd Posts : 288 Windows 10 (2), Win 8.1 (1), Win 7 (1) New 1 Day Ago #25
    L: My Computer[/i] You need to have JavaScript enabled so that you can use this ... OS: Windows 10 (2), Win 8.1 (1), Win 7 (1)

[*]
    squibbon Posts : 16 Windows 10 Pro x64 Thread Starter New 16 Hours Ago #26
    L: My Computer[/i] You need to have JavaScript enabled so that you can use this ... Computer Type: PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model Number: Dell

[*]
    [*]

Bree Posts : 16,202 10 Home x64 (2004) (10 Pro on 2nd pc) New 14 Hours Ago #27
    L: My Computers[/i] You need to have JavaScript enabled so that you can use this ... Computer Type: Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model Number: Toshiba Satellite L750
    CPU: Intel Pentium B950 @2.10GHz
    Memory: 4GB
    Browser: IE/Edge/Firefox
    Antivirus: Defender
    Other Info: ...other laptops include a Dell E7270, i7, 16GB RAM, running Hyper-V VMs including XP, W7, W8.1 and W10.
    Computer Type: Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model Number: Samsung R519
    OS: 10 Pro x86 (2004, 1909, 1903, 1809, 1803, 1709, 1703, 1607, 1511. 1507), 7 Pro x86
    CPU: Intel Celeron T3100 1.9GHz
    Memory: 4GB
    Other Info: Test/support machine - uses multiple Macrium images to switch OS.

[*]
    squibbon Posts : 16 Windows 10 Pro x64 Thread Starter New 12 Hours Ago #28
    L: My Computer[/i] You need to have JavaScript enabled so that you can use this ... Computer Type: PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model Number: Dell

[*]

The Pool Man Posts : 501 10 New 11 Hours Ago #29
    System Manufacturer/Model Number: Asus
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7400
    Memory: 8
    Screen Resolution: 2k

[*]

dalchina Posts : 25,592 Win 10 Pro (1903) New 8 Hours Ago #30

Wynona, Aug 4, 2020
  3. squibbon Win User

I noticed this in version 1909 and it continued into 2004. When I right-click on an app in Start (command prompt, for example) to run it as administrator, the app comes up but the Start Menu does not close. When I run the same app by left-clicking on it, the Start Menu immediately closes as soon as the app comes up on the screen.

I've run the appropriate SFC and DISM commands and they don't find any errors. Any suggestions as to how I can fix this without a Windows refresh/reinstall?

squibbon, Aug 4, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

Hi, if you create a new user for test purposes and log in as that user, does the same thing happen?
    I don't recall seeing a similar report, although there may have been one.

Possible workaround:

I found that a lot quicker than trying to navigate through Win 10's start menu.
    (And using Open Shell is easier than that too).

FWIW this doesn't happen on my 1903.

dalchina, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Start Menu Stays Open When App is Run as Administrator - Similar Threads - Start Menu Stays

2. Windows 11 start menu doesn't always open or stay open.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 start menu doesn't always open or stay open.: Hi, for the past week or so I've had an issue with the Start Menu on Windows 11 not acting properly. When clicking on the window icon it may or may not open the start menu and even when it does, it may or may not stay open long enough for me to use it. There's also a couple...
  3. Windows 11 start menu doesn't always open or stay open.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 start menu doesn't always open or stay open.: Hi, for the past week or so I've had an issue with the Start Menu on Windows 11 not acting properly. When clicking on the window icon it may or may not open the start menu and even when it does, it may or may not stay open long enough for me to use it. There's also a couple...
  4. Uninstalled Shortcuts Stays in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Uninstalled Shortcuts Stays in Start Menu: So recently I was trying to uninstall and reinstall some applications but then I faced this weird issue. The apps that I uninstalled stays in the start menuInitially I thought it might be because of the app itself but I faced the same situation in another application tooI...
  5. Windows 10 Start Menu won't auto hide after run app as administrator

Windows 10 Start Menu won't auto hide after run app as administrator: I am on Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1110, every time I run app as administrator from start menu, start menu won't hide after opened the app. What I had tried: -run sfc /scannow-dism restore health -clean install windows 10-reinstall graphics driverPlease advise. Thanks....
  6. Start menu/tile screen stays on

Start menu/tile screen stays on: Ever since the latest Edge update I did on 6/20/20 the start/tile screen stays on after you click on one of the tiles. It used to disappear after you clicked on a tile. If you move the cursor outside the start screen and click, than the start screen will disappear. It never...
  7. Start Menu Stays Open After Clicking App

Start Menu Stays Open After Clicking App: Yo Xperts, Since the New Edge, the Start Menu Stays up after starting a selection? A new bug or is there a new option - Please do not offer SFC or check for updates. Thx, Joe...
  8. Apps not running from start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Apps not running from start menu: After a Windows update the apps on the start menú are not running. When I click on them it show a white bar beneat the icon but it does not load or anything. Thank you for your help....
  9. Keep Start Menu Open when Opening Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Keep Start Menu Open when Opening Apps in Windows 10: How to: Keep Start Menu Open when Opening Apps in Windows 10 How to Keep Start Menu Open when Opening Apps in Windows 10 The pinned apps (tiles) on the Start screen. This tutorial will show you how to keep the Start menu open when opening multiple apps from the Start...
  10. windows apps as a black box and start stays open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows apps as a black box and start stays open: since today all my windows apps, like skype preview, control panel, winows store and such all do start but they show a small black box when hovered over in the toolbar and when clicked appear for half a second then disapear, even start stays open when clicked on an empty spot...