Windows 10: Start Menu stops working?

Discus and support Start Menu stops working? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Been happening alot lately I can't open my start menu it just stops working. Only a restart or log off works. Any ideas? 24315 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by shankly1985, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Start Menu stops working?

Been happening alot lately I can't open my start menu it just stops working. Only a restart or log off works.

Any ideas?

:)

shankly1985, Sep 27, 2015
  2. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 27, 2015
  3. Start menu stopped

i restarted my asus notebook and windows 10 updated got to 30% and restarted cant sign in to windows or turn my notebook off

williamcorpening, Sep 27, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Start Menu stops working?

Ztruker, Sep 27, 2015
  5. I saw that happen with one of the upgrades on a laptop here where there was no Start button, the Settings screen was found totally blank, and you couldn't open up the AllApps section at the bottom. Fortunately since I was already expecting a possible buggy upgrade I immediately slapped the clean install on anyways to see if that would activate before a second went on to go from the 32bit to 64bit 10!

That was on someone else's laptop without being able to set up multiple accounts there. But you can always give that a try before considering either an upgrade to repair or full clean install.

Night Hawk, Sep 27, 2015
  6. I have found out the issue, but I can't figure out why. If I play Fifa 16 full screen and come back out of the game I loose control of my start menu. wth

shankly1985, Sep 27, 2015
  7. lx07 Win User
    Make a 2 new local Admin accounts, AccountA and AccountB.

Sign into both and then sign out.

Sign into AccountA. Copy C:\Users\<AccountB>\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer to your old account.

Sign into your old account.

Delete AccountA and AccountB.

8. Start Menu stops working?

I doubt that would work since the problem is software not a Windows related issue. The copy and paste method was the replacement to repair option for the Windows issue while the display settings are what is involved where gaming comes in.

The game itself or the display settings are going to have to be tweaked in order to prevent this from simply happening over and over again. Tweaking the antisotrophic and other game setting will play the larger role in clearing this up.

Night Hawk, Sep 27, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    That's the same suggestion I provided in this thread yesterday, but using the hidden Administrator account and one new account.

Ztruker, Sep 27, 2015
  10. The one thing I love about dual boots is being able to fix one OS while booted into the other! *Biggrin With any copy and paste type repairs you can copy and paste with the system protection processes butting in prompting you for more permissions! Once you get a fresh copy of the TileDataLayer folder created fresh back it up somewhere for safe keeping.

Night Hawk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Start Menu stops working?

1. Start Menu stops working? - Similar Threads - Start Menu stops

2. Start menu experience host stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu experience host stopped working: Daily, the event viewer shows error for start menu experience.A screen shot is attached.No problems found in sfc, DISM, chkdsk.Tried looking on the web, but so much geek speak.Anyone have a solution , in plain and simple English, for a 78 year old who is not a computer geek?...
  3. Search and Start Menu Stopped Working

in Cortana
    Search and Start Menu Stopped Working: Windows searched suddenly stopped working for me, and it's become extremely annoying. I can't click in the search box in either the taskbar or windows explorer. It looks like something resets and I can't type anything in either window. Furthermore, clicking on anything in the...
  4. Search and Start Menu Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search and Start Menu Stopped Working: Windows searched suddenly stopped working for me, and it's become extremely annoying. I can't click in the search box in either the taskbar or windows explorer. It looks like something resets and I can't type anything in either window. Furthermore, clicking on anything in the...
  5. Search and Start Menu Stopped Working

6. Cortana and Start Menu Stopped Working

Cortana and Start Menu Stopped Working: Hello, I am struggle a lot with Windows 10 honestly. So all of a sudden, Cortana stopped functioning and start menu stopped working. I have tried all steps and tweaks available out there to fix the issue beside changing the profile and backing up the entire user because...
  7. Start menu stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu stopped working: The Startmenu stopped loading at startup and/or when depressing window. It use to work fine. New updates are messing up and resetting many of my settings. 82721
  8. Audio and start menu randomly stop working

in Windows 10 Support
    Audio and start menu randomly stop working: I never had this problem when I was using Windows 8.1. This problem mostly occurs when I'm playing a game (Dota 2, Battlefield 4, Fallout 3, etc) and sometimes when I was just browsing the web, watching youtube videos. The sound will just disappear, although the program just...
  9. Windows 10 Start Menu stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start Menu stopped working: Some help please. Out of the blue my start up menu doesn't open and i can't even click on sear bar nothing happens. I have the latest windows 10 with fall update. I did fall update last week when it downloaded and no problems until now. Weird. Any help please. 97287
  10. Start menu, Notifications and Apps stopped working.

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu, Notifications and Apps stopped working.: So yesterday I was just watching some videos on youtube and then the screen flashed for a second and started everything started acting up. I restarted my computer and since then, the start menu, notifications and all apps like the xbox app and store app no longer work. I did...