Windows 10: Start Menu Subfolder Organization

Discus and support Start Menu Subfolder Organization in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So this organization feature from Windows 7 doesn't make sense to have removed in Windows 10: Subfolders in the All Apps list. Now, I cannot speak for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Trevanoc, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Trevanoc Win User

Start Menu Subfolder Organization

So this organization feature from Windows 7 doesn't make sense to have removed in Windows 10: Subfolders in the All Apps list. Now, I cannot speak for Windows 11, but the fact that even after people have brought this up before see this thread back in 2015, and still even after Windows 11 became a thing, this organization method was not re-added to Windows. Windows is meant to be customizable and very user friendly. Yet this is one of the many issues that are making Windows less user friendly. We, the customers, should not have to download a third party app or use other methods to get this fu

:)

Trevanoc, Mar 10, 2023
  2. procc Win User

Control panel folder with subfolder list, in start menu - old style

Is it possible to add this kind of Control Panel shortcut (like in screenshot below), with subfolder/subitem list, to windows 10, without installing Classic Shell or similar programs?

Start Menu Subfolder Organization 81d1485960525t-control-panel-folder-subfolder-list-start-menu-old-style-start-menu-control-panel.jpg

procc, Mar 10, 2023
  3. create folders in start menu to organize

You have to navigate to the All Users Start menu

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Create folders per your organization - they'll still be sorted alphabetically so plan the names
    Then move the specific application folder to your newly created folder(s).

Universal apps have a mind of their own, but you can organize Desktop apps in the menu list.

Start Menu Subfolder Organization 22597d1485952194t-create-folders-start-menu-organize-startmenufolders.png

It's not perfect *cry

Slartybart, Mar 10, 2023
  4. ruggb Win User

create folders in start menu to organize

Actually, things stored in multiple places in W7 also.
    The ALL USERS start menu and the logged in USER start menu are copied into the ProgramData start menu on login which is what is displayed.
    The issue with W10 is that you can place multiple levels of folders into the start menu folder but it only displays the first level, now I can no longer see an organized list in the menu. Under a first level folder, ALL items contained in that folder and all sub-folders appear and all organization of the sub-folders is lost.
    I thought I had found the items that are "Pin to Start", but I seemed to have lost that info. Any one know where those are??

ruggb, Mar 10, 2023
Thema:

1. Start Menu Subfolder Organization - Similar Threads - Start Menu Subfolder

2. Start Menu Subfolder Organization

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Subfolder Organization: So this organization feature from Windows 7 doesn't make sense to have removed in Windows 10: Subfolders in the All Apps list. Now, I cannot speak for Windows 11, but the fact that even after people have brought this up before see this thread back in 2015, and still even...
  3. Start Menu Subfolder Organization

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu Subfolder Organization: So this organization feature from Windows 7 doesn't make sense to have removed in Windows 10: Subfolders in the All Apps list. Now, I cannot speak for Windows 11, but the fact that even after people have brought this up before see this thread back in 2015, and still even...
  4. Organizing Programs in the Start Menu

Organizing Programs in the Start Menu: I have installed a number of online games which now appear separately in the programs list in the start menu as well as tiles. I've consolidated the tiles into a single games folder. How do I do the same thing with the programs in the programs list?...
  5. Start Menu - how to fight clutter - can I move "apps" to subfolders?

Start Menu - how to fight clutter - can I move "apps" to subfolders?: This question was asked in this article but never answered satisfactorily. The answer given by Amit_Sun answered a different question. Here's what everybody already knows: the start menu alpha list, not tiles is a merger of two folders: the common start menu lives in...
  6. Windows Start Menu Organization of Apps

Windows Start Menu Organization of Apps: I am trying to organize my Start Menu by placing items into folders. It seems to work fine for programs, but not Apps. They are not showing in either of the two folders where this information is kept, and when I right click there is no "Show File Location" Option....
  7. Cannot Pin or Organize Icons in Start Menu

Cannot Pin or Organize Icons in Start Menu: I seem to have lost the ability to pin programs to the Start Menu or organize the ones I had already pinned. Also, when I try to turn on "Use Start full screen," it turns back off right away. It's a new computer that I built last night with a new Windows 10 installation....
  8. create folders in start menu to organize

create folders in start menu to organize: In W7 I have created folders in the start menu so I can organize by topic. I can't figure out if/how to do that in W10. Any clues? 7446
  9. Organizing Start Menu items

in Windows 10 Support
    Organizing Start Menu items: Hi. New to this forum, I was a previous member of the Seven Forums for years. I have just installed 10 and like what I see so far. Does anyone know how to: - Organize your Start Menu (i.e. delete folders and create your own folders). I am unable to right click to get...
  10. Control panel folder with subfolder list, in start menu - old style

in Windows 10 Support
    Control panel folder with subfolder list, in start menu - old style: Is it possible to add this kind of Control Panel shortcut (like in screenshot below), with subfolder/subitem list, to windows 10, without installing Classic Shell or similar programs? [img] 33018