Windows 10: Start menu suddenly won't open at all

Discus and support Start menu suddenly won't open at all in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I am running Windows 10 version 2004. After restarting Windows 10 today my Start menu has suddenly stopped working. Clicking on the Start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Aggserp4, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Aggserp4 Win User

Start menu suddenly won't open at all

Hello, I am running Windows 10 version 2004.

After restarting Windows 10 today my Start menu has suddenly stopped working. Clicking on the Start button or pressing the Windows key on my keyboard does nothing at all. The search menu still works, but is now half its previous height.

I have not installed any software or any patches, this has happened entirely on its own as far as I can tell.

I have tried restarting Explorer, restarting Windows and running Code:
    to no avail.

After checking the Event Viewer it is flooded with 2 types of errors:

The first one states:
    0x3D00: Cannot create the process for package Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_10.0.19041.1_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy because an error was encountered while checking the user-level package status. The application cannot be started because it is currently updating.

And the second one:
    Unable to start a DCOM Server: Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_10.0.19041.1_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy!App as Unavailable/Unavailable.
    The error: "2147958016" Happened while starting this command: "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\StartMenuExperienceHo st.exe" -ServerName:App.AppXywbrabmsek0gm3tkwpr5kwzbs55tkqay.mca

Any idea what's going on?

:)

Aggserp4, Jul 2, 2020

2. Windows 10 Start Menu won't open.

Hi Dougie,

Corrupted system files could be one of the reason why Start Menu is not opening.

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps listed in this article:
    Troubleshoot problems with the Start menu or Cortana
    see if it helps resolve the issue.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Ronalene Mat, Jul 2, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Start menu won't open

Hi,

As you are unable to access Windows Start menu on your device. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ missing system files on your device.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Have you made nay changes to the operating system that might have resulted in this issue?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code while trying to access Start menu on your device?

I suggest you to refer to the Microsoft help article about Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu
    or Cortana
    try the troubleshooting steps suggested and check if it helps.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 2, 2020
  4. Start menu suddenly won't open at all

Start Menu opens and closes suddenly

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below to make your start menu work and check if it helps.

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type Powershell
    • Type the following 2 commands in the Powershell prompt:
      • $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifestand press Enter.
      • Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"}and press Enter.
    • Close the Powershell window.
    • Reboot.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further queries, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Jul 2, 2020
Thema:

Start menu suddenly won't open at all

1. Start menu suddenly won't open at all - Similar Threads - Start menu suddenly

2. Start Menu won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu won't open: As the title suggests, the Start Menu won't open for me. That's not the only problem. The taskbar has been faulty and it's been two days.Here are some things I can still do with it:- Open programs that are pinned in the task bar.- Open Task View- Show hidden icons- Change...
  3. Start Menu won't open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu won't open: As the title suggests, the Start Menu won't open for me. That's not the only problem. The taskbar has been faulty and it's been two days.Here are some things I can still do with it:- Open programs that are pinned in the task bar.- Open Task View- Show hidden icons- Change...
  4. Start Menu won't open

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Start menu not opening at all

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu not opening at all: I just recently reset my whole pc and ever since the fresh start, my start menu doesn't show up.I'll click the windows key, on my keyboard and nothing comes up. I try and type on my desktop to search my computer and that doesn't show up either. I've already restarted both my...
  6. Start menu not opening at all

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu not opening at all: I just recently reset my whole pc and ever since the fresh start, my start menu doesn't show up.I'll click the windows key, on my keyboard and nothing comes up. I try and type on my desktop to search my computer and that doesn't show up either. I've already restarted both my...
  7. Start menu not opening at all

8. Start menu won't open

Start menu won't open: I tried everything including: sfc /scannow DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and some more but, sfc gives me an error: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation. and DISM gives me...
  9. Start Menu won't open

Start Menu won't open: The start menu won't open on my computer. I checked the Windows System log and found: Unable to start a DCOM Server: Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_10.0.19041.423_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy!App as Unavailable/Unavailable. The error: "2147958016" Happened...
  10. Start Menu icons are not displaying all of a sudden

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu icons are not displaying all of a sudden: [ATTACH] In the past 48 hours, I've noticed that any system and store app icons are not displaying in the start menu on this particular screen or when searched via the start bar. If I scroll thru the program list, the icons are there. I've tried rebuilding my icon and...