Windows 10: Start menu/task bar ms-settings broken

Discus and support Start menu/task bar ms-settings broken in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello I just did a factory reset of my Surface pro(5th gen) and now clicking/touching the start menu icon or pressing it on my keyboard doesn't work.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by val_995, Sep 28, 2018.

1. val_995 Win User

Start menu/task bar ms-settings broken

Hello

I just did a factory reset of my Surface pro(5th gen) and now clicking/touching the start menu icon or pressing it on my keyboard doesn't work. The buttons on the bottom right of the taskbar are also unresponsive but pinned apps work.

Trying to open ms-settings: causes a "package could not be registered" error.

I've tried the surface troubleshooter tool,

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

command, resetting it again, making a new user account and more.

Can anyone help me with this?

:)

val_995, Sep 28, 2018

2. Task Bar and Start Menu Problems

Hi Redical,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that Start menu and task bar is not functioning as it should, and we are sorry for the inconvenience.

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

Please refer to the thread answered by Mr. Sharath Srinivasa and follow the steps to resolve the Start Menu issue.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...t-appear/a7c56613-277c-4993-bb74-08650dce7b21

You may also refer to the thread answered by Mr. RavinLad and follow the steps and check if it helps:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...settings/4cde0fd0-2536-40cb-a60b-6f5147c37853

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Sep 28, 2018
  3. Start Menu and Task Bar not working

Hi,

I've had an issue for several weeks where my Start Menu and Task Bar don't respond (or respond very intermittently) to both left and right mouse clicks. I've searched the net and this community forum, and it appears that this problem has been pretty prevalent
    for at least a couple of years.

I've tried the most commonly proposed solutions, e.g.

• The PowerShell as administrator solution, using "

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}". This just hangs indefinitely, with the progress bar never moving. I've left this for
      over an hour, and seen no movement at all in the bar.

• I've tried the sfc /scannow solution multiple times. The first few times, it just reported that it couldn't find any issues. Recently, it now just says: "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service"

The only way I've actually been able to temporarily resolve the problem, is by shutting down the PC and then pulling the power cord on the PC. This restores all functionality for the next session, but then the next time I restart or shutdown and then restart
    my PC, the Start Menu and Task Bar is broken again.

I've been struggling with this issue for nearly a month now, and it's starting to become incredibly frustrating. This is especially true when it appears that the issue has been ongoing for years, and none of the suggested solutions appear to work. Any help
    that anyone can provide would be enormously appreciated, as I'm starting to get incredibly frustrated by this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Pizzicato

Pizzicato72, Sep 28, 2018
  4. pfd0911 Win User

Windows 10 Broken Task Bar

I am seeing the following malfunctions associated with Windows 10 task bar and launching of functions from the task bar. These only occur in only one of four user profiles on the computer; everything seems to work ok in the other three user profiles.

- L click START icon results in a flicker of the 'hourglass', then nothing (R click START icon brings up the expected list of items)

- L click SEARCH icon results in a flicker of the 'hourglass'

- L click NEW NOTIFICATIONS results in a flicker of the 'hourglass'

- R click NEW NOTIFICATIONS brings up menu, but selecting Open Action Center has no result

- R click application shortcut (eg. excel) should display recently opened files, but has no result (L click application shortcut launches application as expected)

Launching EDGE from the task bar opens the EDGE window momentarily, but it closes immediately.

The WINDOWS key should also launch the START menu, but has no effect (only in the malfunctioning user profile)

My questions are - are others seeing similar problems w/ Windows 10, and any status on solutions from MS.

Also, looking for suggestions on how to easily duplicate the broken user profile, and thoughts on whether that could cure these issues.

pfd0911, Sep 28, 2018
Thema:

1. Start menu/task bar ms-settings broken - Similar Threads - Start menu task

2. The task bar is broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The task bar is broken: Hey, what's up with the windows 11 taskbar.It doesn't show any apps,the search bar or the windows button. It's just blank. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-task-bar-is-broken/8788eef7-b2b2-4aba-8718-cf4744163ae7
  3. The task bar is broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The task bar is broken: Hey, what's up with the windows 11 taskbar.It doesn't show any apps,the search bar or the windows button. It's just blank. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-task-bar-is-broken/8788eef7-b2b2-4aba-8718-cf4744163ae7
  4. Start menu not working and task bar empty

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu not working and task bar empty: i updated my drivers and windows then my start menu and task bar stopped working. iv tried almost everything that's on the internet, but it doesn't look like the start menu is not even running in task manager....
  5. Task manager not responding, task bar freezes and setting start up menu not working with...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Task manager not responding, task bar freezes and setting start up menu not working with...: Hello ,my Task manager is not responding every time I try to open it, along with it any other programs are not working properly such as settings , personalization and many others it shows ms-settings not found.My laptop is also taking an unusual time while starting on. It is...
  6. Stuck with Start Menu/Task Bar?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stuck with Start Menu/Task Bar?: Hello, I'm having trouble with this and I'm not entirely sure how to fix it but here's my screen: [IMG] The problem is, I can't exit out of this. My tabs won't let me minimize either. I can't view my desktop and I need help getting out of this setting....
  7. Task bar and Start Menu not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task bar and Start Menu not opening: Hi I have a Windows 10. When I try to type anything in the Search box the screen freezes Until I open Task Manager, and none of the right bottom keys on the taskbar works. When I try to open the start menu- It opens and closes and leaves a black screen where it opened after...
  8. Search bars and start menu broken

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Search bars and start menu broken: Search bar in task bar does not accept any input and flickers when clicked, search bars in windows accept input but display only empty pages instead of search results. Right clicking in start menu won't work and I also can't open any cascading menus in the start menu. Had...
  9. Restore default start menu and task bar?

Restore default start menu and task bar?: How to restore default start menu and task bar? I don't like the apps set as "tiles" and I cant seem to find how to bring the default start menu and task bar....
  10. Broken start menu & ms-settings:personalisation-background

Broken start menu & ms-settings:personalisation-background: On my surface laptop the start menu stopped working. Along with some microsoft default apps. I don't get any icons when I swipe from the left or right on the screen and I cant tap the windows key to open the menu. The settings menu cannot also be accessed. I can find all...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ms settings broken