Windows 10: Start menu, Task View, Cortana/Search and Windows Store all not working

Discus and support Start menu, Task View, Cortana/Search and Windows Store all not working in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Start menu closes as soon as you click on something. Task view closes immediately. search closes as soon as you hit a key windows store flickers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Nate_42, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Nate_42 Win User

Start menu, Task View, Cortana/Search and Windows Store all not working

Start menu closes as soon as you click on something.

Task view closes immediately.

search closes as soon as you hit a key

windows store flickers constantly without succesfully displaying anything

Logging out and logging back in solves the problem for a little while, but it always comes back, sometimes in minutes, sometimes in hours.

I've tried setting

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WpnUserService "start" to 4

I've also tried running

sfc /scannowDISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

No luck so far.

:)

Nate_42, Mar 13, 2019
  2. Sal67 Win User

No Start Menu / Edge / Cortana / Windows Store / Task View

I've upgraded from Windows 7 Pro x64 to Windows 10 Pro x64 and upgrading was mostly uneventful. Last night the start menu, cortana, edge, the Windows store, and the task view were working. At some point during the night it stopped working. I did several
    reboots but no luck. I couldn't even left click on the start button.

This morning I started the PC and the screen kept switching between a black screen and the desktop. With every iteration, my taskbar icons would appear or disappear. None then some, then everything except the taskview, edge, and the Windows Store. After
    a while of this flashing back and forth, the computer stabilized but with issues.

• Taskview does not work.
    • Edge and the Window store show an error message that says Class Not Registered.
    • Start Menu does not work and left clicking on the Start Menu does not work either.
    • Cortana does not work, nor does the search bar or the microphone icon.
    Any help would be appreciated. I've already done the steps recommended by Giridhar J in
    this thread to no avail ->Windows 10 upgrade - no start menu, Cortana, app store or Edge

Sal67, Mar 13, 2019
  3. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Mar 13, 2019
  4. Start menu, Task View, Cortana/Search and Windows Store all not working

start menu, search assistant and notification tray not working

Hi,

As you’re not able to open start menu, search assistant and notification tray, we would assist you surely.

Before I proceed further I would like to know the below information.

• Did you make any changes prior to this issue?

• Is that the issue persist with the particular application mention in the issue? Or with all the apps installed on Windows.

• Which Windows 10 build is installed on the system?

• I suggest you to try the below steps to fix the error “explorer.exe- class not registered “which would fix
      the issue, followed by the steps mentioned in the issue.

Method 1: End the Windows Explorer process and create the new one.

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc, under
      Process tab, search for Windows Explorer.
    • Right click on it and click on End task.
    • Click on File in the
      Task Manager
      at top left corner of the window and select Run new task.
    • Type explorer.exe and click on
      Ok.

Method 2: I suggest you to try the Troubleshoot steps provided in the link to
    run the latest updates, and creating a new user account. Which would fix the Start menu or Cortana issue.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Method 3: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Hope this suggestion will help you in fixing the error, please revert back with the update regarding the issue. We would assist you happily.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Mar 13, 2019
Thema:

Start menu, Task View, Cortana/Search and Windows Store all not working

1. Start menu, Task View, Cortana/Search and Windows Store all not working - Similar Threads - Start menu Task

2. Start menu cortana search not working along with others

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start menu cortana search not working along with others: hp laptop with windows 10. start menu wont open, search wont work, settings wont open, system properties wont open, display settings wont open. tried to restart windows explorer, didn't change. tried sfc scannnow, nothing changed. Cortana does not appear in task manager....
  3. Start menu cortana search not working along with others

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu cortana search not working along with others: hp laptop with windows 10. start menu wont open, search wont work, settings wont open, system properties wont open, display settings wont open. tried to restart windows explorer, didn't change. tried sfc scannnow, nothing changed. Cortana does not appear in task manager....
  4. Start menu cortana search not working along with others

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Taskbar, Start menu,search And cortana are not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar, Start menu,search And cortana are not working: So I logged on my pc And i noticed all icons in task bar are gone so when i try to click the start menu its not working And when i put my cursor on the search My cursor becomes the loading thingyI tried restarting file explorer and it didnt workHelp...
  6. Cortana/start menu/task bar not working

in Cortana
    Cortana/start menu/task bar not working: Cortana or the searchui process are not in my task manager, so I ran a sfc /scannow. I have no idea how to tell what it's saying in the log, but I can see it found some corrupted files. How to I attach the cbs.log on here?...
  7. Cortana/start menu/task bar not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana/start menu/task bar not working: Cortana or the searchui process are not in my task manager, so I ran a sfc /scannow. I have no idea how to tell what it's saying in the log, but I can see it found some corrupted files. I was going to attach it but the size limit is 2mb, and my log is 8mb. What should I do?...
  8. Web searches, Start menu and Cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    Web searches, Start menu and Cortana: Hi In Windows 10 v1511, how am I supposed to disable the Web searches from the Start menu, but I would also like Cortana continued to use the Web for research? Thanks Bye 44451
  9. Windows Start menu and Cortana/ Search stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Start menu and Cortana/ Search stopped working: Have the Anniversary edition. Suddenly the start menu and Cortana have stoped working. As has right click menus on the start bar? It was okay after the initial install?? Have tried several restarts but no change. Dan 60994
  10. Windows Search (Cortana) not working properly with Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search (Cortana) not working properly with Start Menu: Hello fellow Windows 10 users! I've upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro. Everything is fine and Windows are working very smooth and nice. But there is one thing that really bothers me: Windows Search (including Cortana) does not find links to programs inside...